Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
New car recommendations

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:35 pm
In the long run, what comes out cheaper? Buying a old car and putting a lot into maintenance or buying new or almost new? Also the cost of higher insurance on a new car goes into the picture.
Trying to figure out what is financially smart. Right now we have a 2004 car and put in 1-2 k a year in maintenance over the last 3 years a d we need a second car.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:37 pm
From my personal experience, I'd say the brand is important and would go for the toyota camry/sienna or honda odyssey, a few year old with low mileage.

mha3484

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:47 pm
There is a middle ground. We are financing a 5 year old car. We choose a Volvo SUV because they consistently last way way past 100k miles and my husband hates minivans and he’s the primary driver.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 6:28 am
Would a newer car still ok in the snow or do you need 4wd? We have a Toyota Camry but it's 04.
What is considered low mileage- under 50,000?

amother
Puce

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 10:10 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Would a newer car still ok in the snow or do you need 4wd? We have a Toyota Camry but it's 04.
What is considered low mileage- under 50,000?

I'd say under 50,000 would be considered low mileage, obviously the lower the better. I think need to figure out budget & based on that can figure out what year, mileage would be feasible. Also, I'd say if getting a used car, should definitely get an independent mechanic to check it for any issues - that is important info to know & can also be used for bargaining/have them fix issues first or discount so you can get it fixed. If would consider financing, might be able to get a very low rate & might be worth it. That is what we did.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 10:49 am
Last car we got was a 2010 with 96,000 miles. Got it checked by mechanic. Bought it for 9,000 including tax. We have replaced the wheels and front brakes but that's something you have to do with cars. We refinanced over 3 yrs and will be done in less than a yr. I think it was a great move.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics