Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Did you ever go to New Hampshire?
1  2  Next

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 3:20 pm
It sounds like a beautiful place but I know nothing about it.

If you’ve been there, where did you stay? How did you decide on a hotel versus cottage? Is it ridiculously expensive for a family of six? I was thinking of spending a week there including shabbos.

I am so clueless on all of this, so all feedback is welcome! Thanks!!

imasinger

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 3:42 pm
We go tent camping in NH every summer. For a family of 6, it can cost $24 a night or less, depending on how important flush toilets are to you. Smile

But for those who aren't interested in roughing it, the general guidelines apply.

Look online, ask around. It doesn't matter what state or country you travel to.

Airbnb often provides an interesting alternative to hotels or rental properties.

doctorima

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 4:05 pm
Yes, NH is beautiful and has become quite popular in the summer. One option is to stay at the Arlington Hotel, which attracts a mix but a more Chassidish crowd. The other primary location is in the town of Lincoln, NH, near Loon Mt. Info on davening, etc. here: http://www.lincolnnhminyan.com/. During the week, stay anywhere cheap in the area, and it's a short drive to minyan. If staying over Shabbos, make sure you're walking distance.

Other than lodging, you really don't have to spend much of anything the whole time you're there, as there are beautiful and virtually free hikes throughout the region. If you want to spend more, there are also wonderful family-friendly activities like Lost River Caves and Clark's Trading Post.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 6:06 pm
Went about a dozen times.
Its beautiful. The places to see are absolutely awesome.
But stick to Lincoln or Lisbon or Snowy Mtn motel in Bethlehem or Baker Brook
I'd avoid the new heimish hotel unless you want to spend 600 a day to be in Boro Park

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 8:47 pm
Thanks so much for your responses.

So it seems that it makes most sense to stay in a cheaper hotel during the week.

Do you think it’s worth it for shabbos to switch to Arlington? I really want the experience of being served and not to bother with the food.

Wondering how expensive it is. Is it comparative to the Raleigh? Are there other options to get cooked meals served to you?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 8:59 pm
With a family of 5 we always rent a vacation home/villa. So much more comfortable and home like if you are staying a week.

doctorima

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 9:05 pm
Arlington is the only kosher catering option in the area. It's not cheap, but it's certainly relaxing and more vacationlike. Their prices fluctuate depending on the time of the year, but you can check your dates on their website and see what it would cost.

Personally, the pain of packing up to relocate for the weekend, plus the significant added cost, wouldn't be worth it for me, but we also love having the extra space in our house/condo that you don't get in a hotel. Whatever you do, you'll love it - the whole area is so beautiful and tranquil!

bargainlover

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 9:40 pm
What area should I search for on VRBO to be near the minyanim?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 9:50 pm
doctorima wrote:
Arlington is the only kosher catering option in the area. It's not cheap, but it's certainly relaxing and more vacationlike. Their prices fluctuate depending on the time of the year, but you can check your dates on their website and see what it would cost.

Personally, the pain of packing up to relocate for the weekend, plus the significant added cost, wouldn't be worth it for me, but we also love having the extra space in our house/condo that you don't get in a hotel. Whatever you do, you'll love it - the whole area is so beautiful and tranquil!

So what food options do you have? Is there an option to just eat meals at Arlington? Is there take out food? Or would I need to prepare all the food myself?

etg

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 5:20 am
Let me make one thing clear: The Arlington is very expensive. It's a 5 star hotel. I spent a Shabbos there this past summer-we were 2 couples and 5 children, and took 3 rooms. Meals are mandatory if staying over Shabbos and our bill ran in the range of 5,000. However, I would do it again if I could-it was worth every penny. It's a truly beautiful and unique experience, being the only glatt kosher hotel of this standard. There are a variety of beautiful things to do in the area, but I highly recommend Clark's trading post and mentioned above, as well as Storyland if travelling with children-really beautiful.
If you want to bring your own food along, you can go for a cheaper option-hotels or rentals in the area (via Homeaway.com or Airbnb.com)

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 8:45 am
Besides for Arlington are there other food options? Any catering in the area? What does everyone eat? I get very hungry on vacation Smile

etg

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 8:52 am
According to Chabad of New Hampshire, the largest selection of Kosher foods can be found at the Price Chopper supermarket in Lincoln NH. They have brought a full array of kosher items in for the summer months including Cholov Yisrael cheeses, cream cheese, babaganoush, matbucha,humus, frozen pizza, rugelach, assorted snacks etc.
I imagine dinner meals during the week are cheaper than Shabbos meals, so you can stay somewhere else, and go to the Arlington once or twice for dinner. Take along bagels and breads and spreads. We've managed week-long vacations by taking an ice box or two filled with milk, meats/hotdogs for bbq, and lots of starches. In addition, take some instant soups, and you can purchase hot water at any coffee shop (sometimes they'll even give for free). Take a lot of fruits, cereals, cereal/energy bars, tuna/corn/pickle cans (and of course nosh). It's actually a lot of fun. If you do go, let us know how it worked out...!

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 10:09 am
New Hampshire is incredible. We went camping there (RV, not tents) and I agree with all suggestions above for entertainment. Also check out Attitash Mountain - there's mountain biking, alpine coaster, alpine slide, lots of fun things for the family to do.

The Price Chopper in Lincoln did have some kosher food but not much. We brought everything along. You may find a minyan at Loon Mountain - you can rent a ski cabin with a kitchen and bring your own food. We had a minyan there on Shabbos (call them, they'll hook you up with the Chabad that comes in the summer) but the only place you'll be able to be served kosher food is the Arlington, which we did not visit.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 10:42 am
I know I sound ridiculous but how do I find a cabin to rent? On Airbnb all I see are condos. Is that comparative?

Also regarding food, could we stay walking distance from Arlington and walk over for shabbos meals?

Thanks ladies! I am starting to get excited:)

doctorima

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 11:11 am
Most people who go stay in the Lincoln/Loon area and bring their own food from home, supplemented by basics you can purchase there (e.g. at Price Chopper). You can splurge by going to eat at the Arlington for dinner 1-2 nights. I don't think they have takeout, but there used to be a shul there in Bethlehem that did, not sure if it's still around once the Arlington opened.

If you want to stay near the Arlington, your options will be much less than in the Loon area, and you should check with them if they'll allow non-guests to come over and pay to eat there, as well as daven in their minyan.

In Loon during the week, it's much easier to find gorgeous lodging that's less than a 10-minute drive from the minyan, though if you're there over Shabbos, your options are more limited. As I mentioned above, the info you need can be found at http://www.lincolnnhminyan.com/. Check AirBNB, VRBO, and also try https://www.looncondoconnection.com/.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 12:32 pm
We were there a few years ago, we rented a beautiful big house, don't remember where, but not in the super Heimish area.
We shlepped along a sandwich maker, George Foreman, and had a grill one night
It was a beautiful vacation, and we didn't spend a lot once we were there.
We didn't stay for Shabbos, but I do remember that there was some sort of take out option in the Heimish area
Sorry for being a little vague with details Confused

perquacky

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 1:40 pm
We usually take a condo in the Lincoln area and kasher the kitchen. We're also a family of 6 and it's been very comfortable. Check out Trip Advisor if you're looking for things to do. There's so much! NH is our favorite vacation spot.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 12:22 pm
Do I need to book in advance? or a day two before is enough?

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 12:48 pm
It depends where you're going. The Arlington will almost surely sell out for weekends over bein ha'zmanim, if not the entire month of August. In Lincoln, if you'll be there over Shabbos and need to be walking distance to the minyan, definitely book in advance. Otherwise, you'll be able to find something available there during the week at the last minute, but your options will more limited than if you book in advance.

rgr

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 3:55 pm
bargainlover wrote:
What area should I search for on VRBO to be near the minyanim?

Clearbrook, village of loon
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics