Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Teenager doing upper lip waxing yay or nay?
1  2  Next

amother
Mint

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 11:02 pm
My sister and I are arguing if she should do an upper lip waxing? We have red hair which means it barely shows. I hold she should not or rather she should do electrolysis and she says she wants to wax.

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 11:07 pm
Honestly it’s all about the comfort of the teen. One of my kids waxed her upper lip in 6th grade because the dark hair— few as they were— left her feeling ugh.

What would ur hesitation be?

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 11:11 pm
I vote for electrolysis for the face (at the hand of an experienced technician).

However, the question at hand is to wax or not. The ultimate decision lies with the person whose body it is (as long as she's of the age of majority).

What are your main objections to waxing? Is your objection related to her doing hair removal in general vs waxing specifically?

(edited because my hand slipped and I submitted my post mid-sentence).

Last edited by Frumwithallergies on Mon, May 07 2018, 6:43 am; edited 3 times in total

MiracleMama

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 11:11 pm
Waxing has seemed to lessen my hair growth over time - unlike shaving or tweezing. So I can't imagine any downside to doing this.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 11:13 pm
Really I have two questions.
1. If her hair is practically see through does she need to wax?
2. If she waxes will see have to go every two weeks for the rest of her life?

notshanarishona

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 11:14 pm
It depends if it bothers her. If she is uncomfortable with the hair, no reason to not try.

HeartyAppetite

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 11:52 pm
I would say no!! If her hair is light to begin with. I had blond hair, it was barely visible and I waxed it. Since then it grew back much thicker and darker and now I constantly need to wax.
Explain to her that it might grow back darker, if she wants to risk that. If it really bothers her she can go for electrolysis, which will lessen it and eventually she won’t have to do it anymore.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 12:02 am
Waxing and shaving and plucking doesn’t make hair grow back thicker or darker. If it did, wouldn’t it be used to cure baldness?

If she wants to wax, let her wax.

ETA a lip wax is $6 every few weeks. Electrolysis is $150 to $300. Do a lot of teens have that kind of money?

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 12:09 am
Please research very carefully before using any hair removal method on the face. These areas are not like those on the rest of the body b/c they are triggered/effected by hormones. (My daughter had laser done on her face for a year with disastrous results. She started growing hair in areas she never had before. She has been doing electrolysis for a year and a half since then and although we go less often than in the beginning, I don't know when we will see the end of it.) If there is any chance that she will do electroysis in the future, do not wax. Waxing or tweezing distorts the hair follicle. This means that if she ever chooses to do electrolysis, it will take much longer to see results. The technician (and please choose wisely!) may have to go for after a follicle many times in order to kill it. Until such time as she will do electrolysis, use a bleach like Jolen.

pinkpeonies

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 12:10 am
I don't see the issue here... I waxed since I was in 6th grade, I don't have particularly dark hair, even light color hair shows. And your talking about a teenager, as self conscious ad they chome...

imasoftov

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 4:56 am
The teenager is your sister? Even if the teenager was your daughter or you were your sister's legal guardian you should still leave the decision up to her.

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 6:52 am
Six of Wands wronte "ETA a lip wax is $6 every few weeks. Electrolysis is $150 to $300. Do a lot of teens have that kind of money?[/quote]

Oy that's a lot of money! I'm not in the USA ; here electrolysis costs between 1$-1.50 per minute; many hairs can be done on someone's face in 15 minutes. The other factor is the power of the electrical current being used... I recommend applying Emla cream according to the package prior; it's a numbing cream. Applying the Emla might allow the young woman tolerate a higher current.

I have never heard of laser causing hair growth in other parts of the face...... does anyone have scientific basis for this?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 8:12 am
For crying out loud she's 19 she's still a teenager and she's her own legal guardian

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 8:19 am
No. Unless that's an older teen who objectively (not Hollywoodily) needs it.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 9:23 am
amother wrote:
For crying out loud she's 19 she's still a teenager and she's her own legal guardian

OP, chill. You can tell us, FTR she's 19. I shouldn't have called her a teenager since she's living independently.
And good for you for being such a good sister to do her homework for her. When it comes to waxing and stuff, the women of Imamother seem to be the most experienced and reliable source of info out there.

mommyhood

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 10:42 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Waxing and shaving and plucking doesn’t make hair grow back thicker or darker. If it did, wouldn’t it be used to cure baldness?

ETA a lip wax is $6 every few weeks. Electrolysis is $150 to $300. Do a lot of teens have that kind of money?

A lot of teens babysit, tutor, work in the summer. It's not hard to come up with some spending money. $6 adds up so if start going every few weeks as a teen you'll get up to $150 in 2 years. Also if you have dark hair the hair starts to show between waxings which can make some girls very uncomfortable.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 10:59 am
And to add to my earlier post, in case I didn't say it clearly enough: I'm reading between the lines. If your sister is independent, she may not have a strong relationship, if any, with your parents, for whatever reason. She's lucky to have you, and I wish you koach to rise to the occasion as needed.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 11:02 am
SixOfWands wrote:

$150 to $300? I paid well over $1000 to get rid of mine. Though I did have a lot of hair there.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 11:49 am
I have never heard of laser causing hair growth in other parts of the face...... does anyone have scientific basis for this?[/quote]

Hormones are not fully understood. Some women are much more sensitive to androgens than others. You are not going to find studies to prove this b/c who would pay for them? Certainly not dermatologists (we went to a VERY expensive one) or clinics who do laser. It is anecdotal. But when one has experienced it oneself, one knows it to be true.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 12:29 pm
Red hair is not a good candidate for laser. It's too light.

Waxing would make more sense, and be the cheapest if she could do it herself. I have blond hair on my upper lip, and no one sees it but me - but it tickles! I feel like a Lorax. LOL

I find waxing to be extremely painful the first couple of times, but it gets easier every time. Redheads are known to be more sensitive to pain that other people, so keep that in mind.

Maybe have her get it waxed professionally the first few times, and then teach her how to maintain it herself.

I don't think it causes hair to grow back thicker or faster. Correlation does not equal causation. I waxed my legs for just a few years, and now I don't have any hair on my legs at all. By the accounts of others, I should look like a gorilla by now. Wink
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics