Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
When do your girls stop wearing pants
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 3:20 pm
amother wrote:
can I ask why ? Is this for halachic reasons?

As I wrote, no halachic reason until 3. I do that because I like it, it's beautiful, and I'm rather used to it on girls in frum circles who like frilly/girly more than the tracksuits and stuff. We kah get so many compliments.

finallyamommy

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 3:26 pm
keym wrote:
Out of curiosity, why? What would be the benefit of insisting on skirts for a baby.

Just for simplicity's sake, so we are not insisting on another change right when all sorts of other "big girl" changes are going on. It's not like it's a hardship to put a toddler in a skirt, and if it's all they ever know they won't resent it.

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 3:28 pm
That too. Though some (hint: not us, so please don't link it to what I said) hold skirt from when a kid looks like a girl and not a baby.

gold21

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 3:39 pm
Honestly, not to be a Rebbetzin, but skirts are not super tznius on young girls. Until they're mature enough to carry themselves a certain way, putting on a skirt translates to exposed underwear constantly. Not that they're required to be tznius, so it all works out. Just pointing out the obvious.

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 3:43 pm
Some do shorts, or tights. But not all skirts will expose underwear easily.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 3:47 pm
Never. I wear pants..The school requires a skirt from 4th grade but all the girls just put one on over pants/leggings.

If it's between livush gever and tsnius, I find the proper pants to be far more modest than the wrong skirts. And the idea of putting a baby/young toddler in skirts for modesty reasons just seems plain ridiculous to me. A lot more is going to show at that age. Even leggings cover more than tights.

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 3:49 pm
Yes, and the good non religious person is also much better than the bad frum one [this isn't
a comparison, for those who will want it to be so they can have a fight]... But it doesn't mean we can just chuck religion, OR skirts, unless our rav or minhag is pants and then gezintheit!

DrMom

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 4:50 pm
I don't mind if my daughter wears pants (note: leggings are not pants, IMHO), although she cannot wear them for school.

In winter, she wears pants under her skirt.

little neshamala

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 4:55 pm
(We're Yeshivish) Asked our Rav and he told us through age 6 she can wear whatever she wants, (tank tops, pants whatever) but by 5 she was done with pants just because most girls in our community were wearing skirts. ..

erm

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 5:24 pm
amother wrote:
OOC, why would you stop before they are 3?

They would stop on their own at that age. I would allow it until 3.

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 2:46 am
2 because that’s what we have. All hand me downs. They are also so much cuter.
A dress is so much easier in the summer. Dd2 wears a dress, diaper and sandals.
I usually do tights the winter after potty training. I tell my girls that they need to wear full tights until they can keep their skirts down at all times. (Jump rope, climbing, swings, cartwheels, etc.)

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 6:41 am
My daughter will be 9 this summer. She struggles with tznius, as do I. Currently, she has a uniform so most of the time it’s not an issue. Generally, on days off, she wears skirts with leggings or shorts underneath. Rarely she will want to wear just leggings, which I let her do as long as we will not have negative ramifications in school. We had a discussion about it, and we (together) decided that after the sunmer, she will no longer be able to go out in just leggings. She seems ok with that idea. I also told her that after this summer she will need to wear at least elbow length sleeves.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 9:16 am
amother wrote:
Never. I wear pants..The school requires a skirt from 4th grade but all the girls just put one on over pants/leggings.

If it's between livush gever and tsnius, I find the proper pants to be far more modest than the wrong skirts. And the idea of putting a baby/young toddler in skirts for modesty reasons just seems plain ridiculous to me. A lot more is going to show at that age. Even leggings cover more than tights.

I get proper pants being tsnius but how are leggings ok?

amother
Brown

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 9:32 am
amother wrote:
I get proper pants being tsnius but how are leggings ok?

First of all, I mentioned leggings on very young children or under skirts. Second of all, personally my kids are very skinny, so even leggings are a bit baggy on them. But I agree skin tight/sheer leggings are not a very good choice.

yidisheh mama

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 10:56 am
3rd bday.
But she can wear above the knee dresses, socks and short sleeves until 5

pesek zman

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 11:11 am
I wish people would say how they identify. Chassidish? Yeshivish? MO?

cozyblanket

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 11:17 am
We start building up the skirts around the 3rd bday, but the transition is gradual. By 4, all the pants are gone.

I couldn't insist on full tights to cover the underwear when they are young because no one else here requires that. But that is part of the reason why I do the change gradually. I usually start skirts in the winter, when they wear tights for warmth. Then when it gets warmer and they switch to socks, they are a bit older and can try more to keep their skirt down.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 11:30 am
amother wrote:

putting on a skirt for a 3yo is not because the child has to dress tzniosdig but because of chinug. Yes pants can be more modest but we teach our very little kids not to even care about pants. Them learning to walk around tznuosdig in skirts is a process

little neshamala

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 11:45 am
amother wrote:
putting on a skirt for a 3yo is not because the child has to dress tzniosdig but because of chinug. Yes pants can be more modest but we teach our very little kids not to even care about pants. Them learning to walk around tznuosdig in skirts is a process

Yup. A bit different here, but kind of the same concept-when our Rav told us that through age 6 she can wear whatever she wants including shorts and tanktops whatever, he did say that beginning around age 3 we should start training her to think in a tzanuah way, that we dont run around after the bath without clothes etc-just in a gentle way for chinuch hashkafa but not enforcing the measurements

Miri7

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 12:45 pm
Never.

But we are MO and wearing pants is fine in our community. Re leggings- my older DDs have loads of them and nearly always wear leggings when they wear skirts on weekdays, I think because they're cozy and comfortable, and it gives them an added layer of clothing in case their skirt blows up in the wind or something.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics