Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Did You Lie About Home Internet Access?
Previous  1  2

Did you lie about home Internet access in order to get your kids into a certain school?
Yes -- I have home Internet and said that I do not  
 57%  [ 4 ]
No -- I do not have home Internet  
 42%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

creativemommyto3

Post Fri, Nov 09 2007, 12:46 am
I think that this whole question in itself is out of bounds of the school to ask.or they should add that you should provide a permission from your rav to have it in your house for business and that u must have a filter. This isn't like a tv.

I wouldn't have internet in my house if it weren't for my job. We had just taken it out of our house a few months before I got the job but when I got my job we put it back. My work made us get a letter signed by my Rav. We also have a filter.

There are so many productive things you could do with the internet. you could go shopping for everything. pples lives are so busy that this convenience is very helpful.

Chocoholic

Post Fri, Nov 09 2007, 11:28 am
It doesn't apply to me since I dont have kids, however I find it very annoying because it is more than just the internet itself.. it creates a barrier between the internet-users and the non-internet-users of which some feel they are better than the other ones... and a lot of gossip is involved......... I totally get why parents dont want their kids to get involved w/ it, but having it totally banned goes too far for me... especially since most adults know how to use the internet in an acceptable way!!! (at least I guess us ladies do Wink )

gryp

Post Fri, Nov 09 2007, 11:53 am
I don't know how people do without internet. I shop A LOT online.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Nov 09 2007, 12:18 pm
GR, yes you would manage. We did, back in the day.

We used MAIL ORDER catalogues !!!!!

Luv2Bake

Post Fri, Nov 09 2007, 12:35 pm
When I applied to high school my parents did not answer any of the questions about internet and other things on the advise of a Rav. I was rejected from that school because they assumed that we had internet, etc. but never actually asked us. In the end, I went to a more frum school, where the principal knew my family and didn't really care about the internet, etc.

Also, when my in-laws were looking for a school for my SILs there was one particular school they wanted but they knew that they asked about something (not sure if it was internet or TV). My FIL asked a Rav what he should do and the Rav told him to tell the school what they wanted hear. It turns out that everyone whose kids go to that school did the same thing and that the principal knows that the parents are telling him what he wants to hear.

chestnut

Post Fri, Nov 09 2007, 12:40 pm
Luv2Bake wrote:
My FIL asked a Rav what he should do and the Rav told him to tell the school what they wanted hear. It turns out that everyone whose kids go to that school did the same thing and that the principal knows that the parents are telling him what he wants to hear.

wow. whom is this principal fooling? and the rav's answer is interesting, don't you think?

GAMZu

Post Sat, Nov 10 2007, 10:24 pm
It's impossible to find a school you agree with on all fronts.
We agree that it's best to minimize outside influences.
But we disagree on the issue of what internet is considered. My husband and I feel that we control the internet, with the links we click, and the websites we go to and the ads/pictures we block.

We also screen very carefully what our kids do on the computer. We give them games and videos that we know what to expect from.

With a TV, you are not in control at all, even if you choose the show. Because you won't know what will happen in that show until it's too late and commercials and stuff, etc.

so the school views internet as bad as TV. We view it differently. But the fact we agree on is that outside influences that you can't control are bad.

gryp

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 8:57 am
chocolate moose wrote:

you can't do a search in mid-air for the catalogue you want. Wink

shoshb

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 9:33 am
Although my son's yeshiva is VERY AGAINST internet use, they would not make an extra-Halachic (IYKWIM) rule that they know most parents can't/won't keep.
However, there is a disagreement within the Hanhala, some of whom want to create a website where the kids and parents can safely go, and some of whom worry that creating such a website gives a "hechsher" to the internet as a whole.

ny21

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 5:42 pm
they did not ask this question at my kid's school .

Esther23

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 8:46 pm
My daughter's school just asked if the children have internet access, which I think is the appropriate way to ask the question.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 1:10 pm
GR wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

you can't do a search in mid-air for the catalogue you want. Wink

no, you'd call an 800 number.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics