Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Att Prospect park yeshiva graduates

amother
Purple

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 7:11 am
I see that they are opening up in Monsey. I know that they are hashkafically strong but notsure about the parent body. We are yeshivish/chassidish and would love my daughter to get a solid education without all the "narishkeiten" or frills. If I would send there I think my daughter would be one of the "frummer" ones. Asking anyone who went there-do the girls make fun of the frummer kids or are they respected? Will she want to dress like the cool kids and also is recess discussion about the movies they are watching? Also for anyone familiar with both this school and YSV how would you compare? Thanks so much!

fleetwood

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 7:14 am
I don't think anyone can really answer this because the makeup in Monsey will probably be different than Brooklyn. I can tell you about Brooklyn ,but I don't think there can be a true comparison.

DVOM

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 7:22 am
I heard PPY was opening in Monsey! I wish they would open in Lakewood...

I went to prospect elementary and high school. I can't tell you what the current student body is talking about at recess, but I can tell you a little bit about the philosophy of the school: What I remember most was an attitude of intellectual curiosity and respect. If you asked a question, you were applauded for your insight and curiosity and given a full, nuanced answer. Lively, engaged debate on philosophical questions was encouraged, the norm. I can remember one memorable class where a question sparked a semester-long research project/discussion in which the class was split into groups in which kids were given historical context and sides of the argument to research and support (The question, if I remember correctly, had to do with the creation of the state of Israel). In high school, there was a lecture series at lunchtime called Lunch and Learn where kids could prepare a topic and present it on any subject that interested them; One girl gave a passionate lecture on her sister's developmental disabilities. I wish I could give my boys this kind of engaged, involved education.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 7:29 am
DVOM Thanks so much for responding! Do you think the school is appropriate for a very yeshivish kid? What are the hashkafos? Were there kids that were "frummer" how did they feel? Do most kids watch movies, have TV etc. . Will my daughter feel odd man out?

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 7:51 am
I really wanted to send there too, but it was unclear if it would be more like ateres or YSV. I ended up going with bas mikrah because I wasn’t confident there’d be enough “yeshivish” girls to make up a balanced crowd.

DVOM

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 8:04 am
amother wrote:
DVOM Thanks so much for responding! Do you think the school is appropriate for a very yeshivish kid? What are the hashkafos? Were there kids that were "frummer" how did they feel? Do most kids watch movies, have TV etc. . Will my daughter feel odd man out?

Hmmm... I don't know. When I went to the school there really were all types. A lovely mix. I have no idea what the current student body is like now though. When I was growing up, lots of kids (myself included) had TV's at home and watched movies, and lots didn't. I don't remember that being the center of conversation.

pesek zman

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 8:10 am
DVOM wrote:
I heard PPY was opening in Monsey! I wish they would open in Lakewood...

I went to prospect elementary and high school. I can't tell you what the current student body is talking about at recess, but I can tell you a little bit about the philosophy of the school: What I remember most was an attitude of intellectual curiosity and respect. If you asked a question, you were applauded for your insight and curiosity and given a full, nuanced answer. Lively, engaged debate on philosophical questions was encouraged, the norm. I can remember one memorable class where a question sparked a semester-long research project/discussion in which the class was split into groups in which kids were given historical context and sides of the argument to research and support (The question, if I remember correctly, had to do with the creation of the state of Israel). In high school, there was a lecture series at lunchtime called Lunch and Learn where kids could prepare a topic and present it on any subject that interested them; One girl gave a passionate lecture on her sister's developmental disabilities. I wish I could give my boys this kind of engaged, involved education.

Wow. I had the opposite experience. Literally opposite. We must have been there in different eras. When were you there?

amother
Azure

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 9:01 am
Nobody can answer this question for you. You won’t know who the parent body really is until September. It also depends on whether or not ateres is able to stay open.
The best you can do is call the school and discuss it with them. They should be open to the conversation, it’s a reasonable question.
Also, this is not going to be the same school as prospect in Flatbush is/was- because the teachers are different. They might be excellent teachers too, and they probably will be, but they won’t be the same people.

DVOM

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 2:43 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Wow. I had the opposite experience. Literally opposite. We must have been there in different eras. When were you there?

Wow, how interesting. I was actually just having a conversation with a high school classmate who hated high school-- she found our grade to be so cliquey. I loved it-- I had the most wonderful group of friends. I guess every person can experience a school in a different way.

PM me if you want my HS class year... I'd rather not post it in public. Or you can post yours, and I'll tell you if we were around the same age.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics