Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
What pareve side dishes do you make for a dairy meal?
1  2  3  Next

AlwaysThinking

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 3:04 pm
I always get tempted to make everything milchig but then the menu is so heavy. What pairs well with dairy foods like quiche, salad with feta etc. that doesn't actually have dairy in, or happens to be dairy but isn't full of cheese?

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 3:10 pm
Linguine grilled summer vegetable salad. Light soup. Lots of fresh salads. A really good fish like tuna steak or salmon cubes over the linguine salad or over a leafy salad.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 3:11 pm
I'm making stuffed mushrooms, green salad, and grilled eggplant topped with roasted garlic and fresh cilantro.

My only cheesy item is the main, which is lasagna.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 3:11 pm
a sweet and sour eggplant.roasted red pepper dip. spinach salad with portabello mushrooms. hearts of palm and avacado. quinoa with roasted veg. orzo salad. sesame linguine.

nylon

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 3:14 pm
Salads or lighter vegetables. Exactly what depends on the menu as a whole but you want something that's brighter and crunchier, with lighter flavors. Or one of the starches might be technically dairy (using butter as the fat) but also lighter, like rice or orzo with added vegetables.

If I'm serving blintzes, I make sure to serve fruits with it.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 3:21 pm
Seasons noodles
Vegetable Lo mein
Eggplant or zucchini in tomato sauce
Zoodle anything

seeker

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 5:11 pm
Roasted string beans here.
Some light salad, like maybe tabbouleh.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 5:34 pm
Riff wrote:
I always get tempted to make everything milchig but then the menu is so heavy. What pairs well with dairy foods like quiche, salad with feta etc. that doesn't actually have dairy in, or happens to be dairy but isn't full of cheese?

I’ve found that many women are not aware of what the proper meals for Shavuous should be. Most believe the meals are supposed to be dairy. In fact that’s wrong, as on Yom Tov we are supposed to have same type of Seudos as Shabbos (bassar v’dagim), fleishig food. The true minhag is just to have something dairy earlier, and then have a full fleishig seuda for the meals...for those of you who are interested,,.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 5:35 pm
amother wrote:
I’ve found that many women are not aware of what the proper meals for Shavuous should be. Most believe the meals are supposed to be dairy. In fact that’s wrong, as on Yom Tov we are supposed to have same type of Seudos as Shabbos (bassar v’dagim), fleishig food. The true minhag is just to have something dairy earlier, and then have a full fleishig seuda for the meals...for those of you who are interested,,.

You mean that's your true minhag Smile

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, May 13 2018, 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

dancingqueen

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 5:36 pm
amother wrote:

Obviously many communities don’t hold what you say as a requirement.

Raisin

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 5:49 pm
I always serve some type of fish. Salad. Roast veggies would work well.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 6:05 pm
amother wrote:

No one is interested in anonymous mussar. Us amothers need to stay more low key.

May

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 6:53 pm
amother wrote:

That is one of the approaches.

There are actually (at least) three reasons for the milchig minhag and they each have different ramifications.

The one you mentioned above has to do with the minhag of having two challah at the meal (I think because of Shamar and Zachar but not positive). To accomplish that we are supposed to have the first part dairy with challah #1 and the second part meat with challah#2.

Another reason is to commemorate the fact that they learned hilchos kashrus and didn't have time to shecht the animals and wait the requisite 24 hrs to kasher their ovens, so they ate only pareve/dairy. According to this idea, we'd actually want an all dairy meal. R' Shmuel Kaminetsky, in his sefer, states that when doing an all dairy meal, it's best to have that meal at night, because at night there is less of an inyan of simchas yom tov, therefore less of a requirement to eat meat.

A third reason, is there is an inyan to eat a dairy meal at night before going out to learn because it is less heavy than a meat meal. (He asked the question though, isn't dairy brought down to make you tired? And he answers that just applies to drinking milk. So avoid that, but enjoy cheese dishes, etc.

FWIW - I'm serving a full dairy meal the first night, full fleish meal the second night, and half and half meals for the two day meals (milchig appetizer, fleishig main).

To answer your question OP, I am making sushi salad as a side for the dairy meal.

bsy

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 7:17 pm
My very yeshivish and learned father who is makpid on halacha has dairy for the 2 night meals for the past 28 years Rolling Eyes
Your minhag is your minhag, but it's not the "right" and only minhag.

creditcards

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 12:40 pm
May wrote:
That is one of the approaches.

There are actually (at least) three reasons for the milchig minhag and they each have different ramifications.

The one you mentioned above has to do with the minhag of having two challah at the meal (I think because of Shamar and Zachar but not positive). To accomplish that we are supposed to have the first part dairy with challah #1 and the second part meat with challah#2.

Another reason is to commemorate the fact that they learned hilchos kashrus and didn't have time to shecht the animals and wait the requisite 24 hrs to kasher their ovens, so they ate only pareve/dairy. According to this idea, we'd actually want an all dairy meal. R' Shmuel Kaminetsky, in his sefer, states that when doing an all dairy meal, it's best to have that meal at night, because at night there is less of an inyan of simchas yom tov, therefore less of a requirement to eat meat.

A third reason, is there is an inyan to eat a dairy meal at night before going out to learn because it is less heavy than a meat meal. (He asked the question though, isn't dairy brought down to make you tired? And he answers that just applies to drinking milk. So avoid that, but enjoy cheese dishes, etc.

FWIW - I'm serving a full dairy meal the first night, full fleish meal the second night, and half and half meals for the two day meals (milchig appetizer, fleishig main).

To answer your question OP, I am making sushi salad as a side for the dairy meal.

How do you do a half and half meal? Do you bench in between?

OutATowner

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 12:47 pm
I serve salmom l, garlic knots, and quinoa with sauteed veggies. I also put some salad aside without feta. I have a guest who in lactose intolerant, so eventhough she can't have the lasagna and quiche, she never leaves hungry.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 12:49 pm
I do baked salmons cubes over garlic angel hair with a good salad.
Everyone has different minhagim regarding the dairy meal, there's no one right way. I know some that do night meals dairy, I know some that just do a dairy kiddish one morning followed by a fleishig meal, I know some that have a full dairy meal followed by a full fleishig meal- washing & bentching by both. Everyone does differently.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:

My DH held that way for years and I told him that my simchas Yom Tov was a full dairy meal. Ever since then, our minhag has changed. We eat 2 full Fleishig meals by two Seudos and two full milchig meals at the other two Seudos. It's a segula for Shalom bayis Wink

rgr

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 12:59 pm
Oven roasted vegetables... could be any vegetable, sweet potatoes, butter nut squash, peppers etc

seeker

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 1:00 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
It's a segula for Shalom bayis Wink

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics