Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Garden guru wanted!
Previous  1  2

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 8:22 am
DVOM wrote:
Tell me more about cayenne pepper spray! Is this something you buy? make?

In my neighborhood we buy the cheap cayenne pepper from the dollar store and make it.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 8:34 am
Google "square foot gardening", and books by Jerry Baker. That was all the info I needed to have amazing gardens with minimum effort, space, and chemicals.

I second the idea of buidling a frame with chicken wire and a door. The extra advantage is that you can cover the frame with clear plastic at the beginning of the season and start your seedings 3 weeks early, and you can cover it in the fall to extend your growing for up to another month.

Your property sounds so lovely! Enjoy!

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 8:57 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Google "square foot gardening", and books by Jerry Baker. That was all the info I needed to have amazing gardens with minimum effort, space, and chemicals.

I second the idea of buidling a frame with chicken wire and a door. The extra advantage is that you can cover the frame with clear plastic at the beginning of the season and start your seedings 3 weeks early, and you can cover it in the fall to extend your growing for up to another month.

Your property sounds so lovely! Enjoy!

I wanted to do that but our soil content is clay and only grows weeds and the area that I wanted to use had lots of tree stumps from where we cut down a bunch of old weeds so in the end, I realized that putting it on the deck was the best recipe for success. We are not planning to barbecue there anyway this summer.

Mommy1:)

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:11 am
it's good to look at a gardening book for help with plant identification. You also might want to invest in a gardener for a 1 time consult for help with this (take pictures and document what you're told if you go this route). It can be somewhat helpful to put down a weed barrier (with strategically cut holes where your perennials grow) as it can help reduce the weeds. Low maintenance perennials are a must - ask the nursery which plants are least maintenance. Be sure to keep the location in mind as some plants do better in sun, part sun, or full shade.

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:14 am
Mommy1:) wrote:
it's good to look at a gardening book for help with plant identification. You also might want to invest in a gardener for a 1 time consult for help with this (take pictures and document what you're told if you go this route). It can be somewhat helpful to put down a weed barrier (with strategically cut holes where your perennials grow) as it can help reduce the weeds. Low maintenance perennials are a must - ask the nursery which plants are least maintenance. Be sure to keep the location in mind as some plants do better in sun, part sun, or full shade.

I like your advice about shady areas because I have an area of the yard that is so shady that even the grass won't grow and I need to do something.

InnerMe

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:30 am
DVOM, your post is making my mouth water.
I love plants and nature, but right now the only nature I have is a tree out my back window, against an apartment building Crying ( My dream is to buy a house with a big property and create a delightful garden. For now were staying put, because DH has his rav in the neighborhood were in, and he's very close to him. So I can't imagine it happening any time soon, if ever Crying

Enjoy your garden, the process of learning new things, and experimenting. It sounds like so much fun, and will give you much satisfaction.

I found these two links that talk about starting a vegetable garden:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.c.....s.htm

https://www.gardeners.com/how-......html

Miri7

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 4:26 pm
DVOM wrote:
Hubby and I are visiting a nursery today! I'm so excited! I'm planning to ask them for the easiest plants to grow...

A quality local nursery will be your best resource for getting good information about gardening, plants and pests in your area. Happy planting!

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 4:38 pm
southernbubby wrote:
and one lone pepper plant (I intend to get more, I"Y"H")>

Yes, please get more. Pepper plants thrive in groups. A lone pepper plant doesn't do as well as when it has at least another pepper plant next to it.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 5:21 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, please get more. Pepper plants thrive in groups. A lone pepper plant doesn't do as well as when it has at least another pepper plant next to it.

From my planting experience, the peppers were always very late in growing and by the time they started producing mini peppers the season was already over. I don't know why they are so slow to grow. The tomatoes, zuchinni and cucumbers grew tons and constantly. The peppers not really.

samantha87

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 5:52 pm
southernbubby wrote:
In my neighborhood we buy the cheap cayenne pepper from the dollar store and make it.

I do the same. Mix cayenne powder with water in a spray bottle, and spray the plants. It helps together with a good fence.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics