Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is it safe for a 3 day yom tov

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 10:17 am
Is it safe to leave my crockpot on low for Shavuot this year? We are a small family without an electric blech so its just easy to leave the crockpot on to warm food up rather than the fire on.
Thanks

zaq

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 11:16 am
Safe in what sense? Fire safety or food safety? Crockpot on low is still hot enough to keep hot food from spoiling. However, it is not safe to cook or reheat cold food on low because it takes a long time for the food to reach a safe temperature, and meanwhile the food is at a perfect temp for germs to grow.

Fire safety, well...read the user manual and then call the manufacturer. These appliances aren’t meant to stay on for 72 hours straight but it might be just fine. You must, of course, take all precautions, keep all combustible material like curtains, tablecloths, paper, plastic far away, put the appliance on a hard, flat, level, noncombustible surface away from walls and cabinets, don’t place towels and the like on top of it, keep the lid on, make sure there is always liquid inside, don’t let it run dry, that sort of thing.

It might be safer to set it to high and use a timer to switch it on and off, but you should experiment first to see how long it takes to heat the food so you know how much time you need to allow.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 11:32 am
Do you need it on for first day Shabbos cholent only?

bargainlover

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 11:40 am
ra_mom wrote:

What would you do if only need for shabbos day cholent?

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 12:20 pm
bargainlover wrote:
What would you do if only need for shabbos day cholent?

Use a timer with 1 OFF pin. Manually turn the dial to ON before Shabbos starts, have the OFF pin set to 3pm or so the next day. And that's it. It won't turn back on since you're not leaving in any ON pins.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 12:44 pm
zaq wrote:
Safe in what sense? Fire safety or food safety? Crockpot on low is still hot enough to keep hot food from spoiling. However, it is not safe to cook or reheat cold food on low because it takes a long time for the food to reach a safe temperature, and meanwhile the food is at a perfect temp for germs to grow.

Fire safety, well...read the user manual and then call the manufacturer. These appliances aren’t meant to stay on for 72 hours straight but it might be just fine. You must, of course, take all precautions, keep all combustible material like curtains, tablecloths, paper, plastic far away, put the appliance on a hard, flat, level, noncombustible surface away from walls and cabinets, don’t place towels and the like on top of it, keep the lid on, make sure there is always liquid inside, don’t let it run dry, that sort of thing.

It might be safer to set it to high and use a timer to switch it on and off, but you should experiment first to see how long it takes to heat the food so you know how much time you need to allow.

Thanks! I was asking about fire safety. I figured it would be food safe because on low it's still pretty hot and able to burn like a plata. High is too high and I wouldn't want to burn the food I'm warming up if there's no liquid.
I'm not sure I still have the manual Sad
We're only away for one meal, other than that we're home.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 12:46 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Thank you but we need it for warming up all our Yom tov food. It's all in the freezer so won't have to do any cooking.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 3:13 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you but we need it for warming up all our Yom tov food. It's all in the freezer so won't have to do any cooking.

In such a case, I set the timer with 2 on and 2 off pins.
O
Every day it turns on at 11am and turns off at 3pm (or whatever works for your day meal), turns back on at 7pm and turns off at 11pm (or whichever times work for your night meal).

amother
Gold

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 3:22 pm
Confused. How are you planning to warm up frozen food in a crockpot?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 7:01 pm
ra_mom wrote:
In such a case, I set the timer with 2 on and 2 off pins.
O
Every day it turns on at 11am and turns off at 3pm (or whatever works for your day meal), turns back on at 7pm and turns off at 11pm (or whichever times work for your night meal).

Thank you! The only problem with this is that I need it on Friday night with my cholent in it all night.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 7:04 pm
amother wrote:
Confused. How are you planning to warm up frozen food in a crockpot?

I was planning on putting it all in the fridge Friday before candle lighting and letting it defrost safely in there... Think it'll work?

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 7:11 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you! The only problem with this is that I need it on Friday night with my cholent in it all night.

So then have it go off once per day instead of twice so the appliance cools down. Have the OFF pin set to shut the crockpot at around 3pm so it turns off the first day after the day meal, and have the ON pin set to turn the crockpot on at 7pm, in time for warming food for the night meal.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 7:12 pm
I would leave the crock pot on as ra mom described, for cholent only. And leave the oven on low temp to warm up YT food. The crock pot is meant for slow cooking, not hearing up food. I really doubt it would get food to a safe temp quickly enough (food safety wise) and the small size and very low heat will not work well enough to get all the food heated up as you need.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 8:10 pm
ra_mom wrote:
So then have it go off once per day instead of twice so the appliance cools down. Have the OFF pin set to shut the crockpot at around 3pm so it turns off the first day after the day meal, and have the ON pin set to turn the crockpot on at 7pm, in time for warming food for the night meal.

Thanks this is a great idea! I feel much better now.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 8:13 pm
amother wrote:
I would leave the crock pot on as ra mom described, for cholent only. And leave the oven on low temp to warm up YT food. The crock pot is meant for slow cooking, not hearing up food. I really doubt it would get food to a safe temp quickly enough (food safety wise) and the small size and very low heat will not work well enough to get all the food heated up as you need.

Thanks, makes sense but there are only three of us and we live in quite a small apartment. Having the oven on even at a low temperatures for three days would make it way too hot in the apartment. We only have to heat up one main dish per meal and the quantity is small. The appetizers and salads are good room temperature.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 8:22 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks, makes sense but there are only three of us and we live in quite a small apartment. Having the oven on even at a low temperatures for three days would make it way too hot in the apartment. We only have to heat up one main dish per meal and the quantity is small. The appetizers and salads are good room temperature.

I definitely hear that. I'm just thinking, for the night meals you aren't allowed to start warming up food until quite late. It's very likely that your food will not heat up in time.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:42 pm
amother wrote:
I definitely hear that. I'm just thinking, for the night meals you aren't allowed to start warming up food until quite late. It's very likely that your food will not heat up in time.

Hmmm that is a very good point... I guess I really have no other choice. It is possible it will heat up enough for us because the low setting isn't that low like keep warm.... But if not we'll have room temperature roast and we'll survive Smile I'll let you know how it ends up working out beezrat HaShem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen