Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How much did you spend on a diamond Kallah bracelet NY area?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

How much did you spend on a Kallah bracelet?
Under $1000  
 25%  [ 31 ]
$1100-2000  
 30%  [ 37 ]
$2100-3000  
 25%  [ 31 ]
$3100-4000  
 10%  [ 12 ]
$4100-$5000  
 4%  [ 5 ]
Over $5000  
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 120

Mommyg8

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 1:08 pm
Squishy wrote:
This one is $1680. It is 14K.

https://m.macys.com/shop/produ.....ernal

You can find them at the jewelry exchange at the $1500 price point.

Yes, like I said, 1200 to 1500 gets you the bare minimum (in the Jewish world).

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 1:19 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Yes, like I said, 1200 to 1500 gets you the bare minimum (in the Jewish world).

Most kallahs seem to only have the bare minimum. What's the problem? It is age appropriate and suitable for young brides.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 1:38 pm
I don't remember how much my bracelet costs 15 years ago.. Diamond tennis bracelet . I'm sure now it's worth way more than $5000

Mommyg8

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 1:43 pm
Squishy wrote:
Most kallahs seem to only have the bare minimum. What's the problem? It is age appropriate and suitable for young brides.

I'm not sure what we're arguing about? Someone said you can still get a bracelet for well under $1000, and I said that's no longer the case. I agree, in my circles $1200 to $1500 is standard. That's not well under $1000, though.

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 1:54 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I'm not sure what we're arguing about? Someone said you can still get a bracelet for well under $1000, and I said that's no longer the case. I agree, in my circles $1200 to $1500 is standard. That's not well under $1000, though.

You said it was the bare minimum. Bare minimum sounds like mil is cheaping out. Standard has a different connotation.

You asked me if the other bracelet was suitable for my kallah. I would buy a bracelet you can upgrade and get credit for the amount you paid.

cnc

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 3:02 pm
amother wrote:
So?

As I said, not everyone lives on your standards.

Anyway, this was just a random link from a store which has high prices, the Jewish stores have much better suitable choices in the same price range.

Of course.
I'm just responding to the poster(s) saying that you can get real gold bracelets at a certain price point. You really can't. Linking a bracelet that jewelers wouldn't consider gold and showing that it's cheap is not proving those posters' points.

I'm all for lowering standards.I think the standards in some communities have become ridiculous.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 3:27 pm
Wow! These prices!
We were married almost 22 years ago. We are yeshivish, married at the Atrium in Monsey. I didn't get a bracelet and my engagement ring was $120. (14k gold, real diamond, not huge, but perfect for my size 4 tiny fingers!).
When we celebrated our 20th anniversary dh bought me a diamond and white gold bracelet for $1000 and I thought I was being treated like a queen with that after 20 years!!
Totally not judging at all!! Are these standards nowadays? We have 2 daughters entering into shidduchim soon!

amother
Olive

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 5:51 pm
I'm from Stamford Hill, though my in-laws are not, and they definitely paid over 4,000 for my bracelet. (15 years ago).

amother
Denim

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 6:04 pm
amother wrote:
I'm from Stamford Hill, though my in-laws are not, and they definitely paid over 4,000 for my bracelet. (15 years ago).

It sounds like the in-laws aren't from England though either way, I wasn't referring to Chassidish circles, the gifts are known to be overly extravagant there. I wouldn't have a clue how much is spent.

And of course there will be wealthy people in my circles who pay more as well. However, as an overall trend, in the litvish/yeshivish communities at least, the bar is definitely set much higher in the US than in England.

That's all. Just an observation.

Butterfly

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 8:56 pm
B"H that in the last few years a number of chassidish kehilos, Satmar included, have established several chasuna takanos/restrictions to ease the financial burdens from mechatanim.

One of the restrictions included were on the limitations of buying gifts for chasan kallah because the high standards of spending money on pricey gifts.

The prices spent on jewelries were getting way out of hand especially for the many mechatanim who were stricken with huge debts due to the mere essentials needed to wed their children, but had to fit in with the rest of the trend....

Buying bracelets for kallahs is strictly prohibited according to their restrictions.
There are four jewelries allowed for a kallah.

Those are;

A gold watch. Usually given during vort / lechaim

A diamond ring of real gold but the center stone must be of 'cubic zirconium' only! No real diamond allowed! That is mandatory!
The ring is usually given at the tnoyim. If the kallah doesn't have a tnoyim celebration it is usually given at any given Shabbas following the engagement.

A pearl necklace for either a yom tov or at day of wedding

A set of diamond earnings for either a yom tov or at day of wedding .

Last edited by Butterfly on Sun, May 27 2018, 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

cnc

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 9:01 pm
Butterfly wrote:
B"H that in the last few years a number of chassidish kehilos, Satmar included, have mandated several chasuna takanos/restrictions to ease the financial burdens from mechatanim.
One of the restrictions included were on the limitations of buying gifts for chasan kallah because the standards of spending on pricey jewelries were rising way out of hand and mechatanim were stricken with huge debts unfortunately...

Buying bracelets for kallahs is strictly prohibited according to their restrictions.
There are four jewelries allowed for a kallah.

Those are;

A gold watch. Usually given during vort / lechaim

A diamond ring of real gold but the center stone must be of 'cubic zirconium' only! No real diamond allowed!
The ring is usually given at the tnoyim. If the kallah doesn't have a tnoyim celebration it is usually given at any given Shabbas following the engagement.

A pearl necklace for either a yom tov or at day of wedding

A set of diamond earnings for either a yom tov or at day of wedding .

Do people really follow the takanos?

Butterfly

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 9:07 pm
cnc wrote:
Do people really follow the takanos?

AFAIK the ones who consider themselves loyal chasidim of those kehilos, certainly do
whether they are rich or poor; It's mandatory!

dancingqueen

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 9:24 pm
Tbh, I find the whole bracelet thing a little odd. Why propose with a diamond bracelet and then give a diamond engagement ring a few days later? That’s what the engagement ring is for.

How much do people spend on the ring in these circles?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 12:03 am
Curious because I'm not part of this system - how does anyone know what her bracelet cost? Isn't it tacky to ask the price of a gift?

amother
Violet

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 12:07 am
amother wrote:
Curious because I'm not part of this system - how does anyone know what her bracelet cost? Isn't it tacky to ask the price of a gift?
you need an appraisal for insurance

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 12:22 am
amother wrote:

The young couple pay their own insurance premiums?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 12:35 am
amother wrote:

I have absolutely no idea how much my jewelry cost. For all you know my diamond is a CZ. I've never thought of asking. It's something of sentimental value. To me that is worth more than the dollar amount spent.

watergirl

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 12:51 am
amother wrote:
The young couple pay their own insurance premiums?

Its like, $80/year tonadd most jewelry as a rider. Who pays their renters or home owners insurance? It goes along with that.

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 12:55 am
amother wrote:

It's tacky to ask. But the Kallahs know if it is nicer than their friends.

The appraisals are often inflated. I wouldn't go by that.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 7:19 am
Boro Park
Ten years ago it was 1500$ and when I got married five years ago (my first time) it was $2000. I actually got a bangle in Israel for $700. You can go to Amsel Galaxy Jewelry now I don't know how much my new guy will have to spend but I deserve a decent bracelet. I don't need him to spend more than $2k.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics