Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Does ur baby girl have earrings?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

chocolatecake

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 7:57 am
My 20 month old and three year old do not have. My three year old keeps asking though. I think I am going to wait a little longer and do them both at the same time.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 8:14 am
amother wrote:
All my girls had their ears pierced as infants. There is minimal pain, for a fleeting moment, at most!!!
Girls look soooo much cuter in earrings.

For those that do pierce as infants, where does it get done? Is there a special person that does it? Does the pediatrician do it?

allthingsblue

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 8:14 am
amother wrote:
Of course they do, I did it when she was a newborn. Its painless then! It adds so much to there face. Girls belong with earings, there not boys.

It's not painless; it's just that they don't remember the pain.
I would never want to inflict pain on my child if not medically necessary.
I think children are beautiful, earrings don't add to their beauty. I'd wait until my daughter asks me for them, whatever age that is.

moonstone

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 8:21 am
I think piercing a baby's ears is ridiculous. Babies need jewelry? Especially jewelry that necessitates putting holes in their ears? I think it looks awful. Why not put makeup on them, too?

essie14

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 8:27 am
amother wrote:
For those that do pierce as infants, where does it get done? Is there a special person that does it? Does the pediatrician do it?

There are usually people who do this who work in jewelry stores or work from home.
I never heard of a pediatrician doing it.

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 8:31 am
Someone told me that dd looks like a girl, she doesn’t even need earrings.
I don’t get that... do my sons need something to made them look like boys?
Whatever.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 8:36 am
essie14 wrote:
There are usually people who do this who work in jewelry stores or work from home.
I never heard of a pediatrician doing it.

My pediatrician in Boro Park pierced my ears when I was eleven. They always had a display of baby earrings for the piercing on the counter in the examining room.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 8:38 am
I would like to have an acupuncturist do it, if I can find one who will!

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 8:44 am
amother wrote:
I would like to have an acupuncturist do it, if I can find one who will!

The acupuncture needles are so thin and go so shallow that they don’t draw blood. I’m not sure they would be better than a pediatrician or the lady in the jewelry store.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 8:46 am
Iymnok wrote:
The acupuncture needles are so thin and go so shallow that they don’t draw blood. I’m not sure they would be better than a pediatrician or the lady in the jewelry store.

It's not about the needle, it's the location of the piercing and what it can affect. An acupuncturist who pierces would obviously use thicker needles for it.

mille

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 8:51 am
I know multiple adult women without pierced ears who do not want pierced ears. I myself have pierced my ears a few times and let them close up each time. It's not a given that she will want her ears pierced.

I absolutely will not have them pierced until she's asking me without prompting and old enough to care for them.

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 8:58 am
Definitely not a given.
As for peds, in my country they would kick you out and say they're not there for beauty stuff.

bsy

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 9:00 am
I can't inflict pain in my baby for no reason. When she wants, she'll ask me, and we'll use it as a reward for something. No way can I make the decision for her.

simba

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 9:01 am
No my baby girl does not have pierced ears. When she asks me for them we will deal with it. Until then, she is beautiful.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 9:14 am
If I would have a girl I would want to pierce her ears as a baby. But my DH and I already had this discussion. He is against it for one reason. He said it clearly states in Shulchan Aruch that one may not inflict pain on their child.
So that's my answer.

mille

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 9:20 am
thunderstorm wrote:
If I would have a girl I would want to pierce her ears as a baby. But my DH and I already had this discussion. He is against it for one reason. He said it clearly states in Shulchan Aruch that one may not inflict pain on their child.
So that's my answer.

So much for the brit milah then.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 9:22 am
OP here
thank you all for your responses!
You have really given me a lot to think about...

my husband's mother and grandmother do not have earrings. his two sisters didn't get their ears pierced when they were kids. one always resented it and got them pierced when she was in israel for seminary... the other one never had them done. (they are both married now) I guess he just does not see them as a necessity...

I personally had my ears pierced when I was an infant at my pediatricians office.
Today I love the way earrings brighten and enhance my face and I'm grateful my mom took care of it when I was young.
I always felt that earrings enhance... but the truth is, my baby really is gorgeous without them!
I realize that there is also a peer pressure factor here... She is my first, and my sister and my best friend also had their first babies around the same time as me and they both had girls... and they both had their ears pierced when they were really small infants! I was honestly a little jealous (call me a baby if you will!) but I knew as soon as the medical thing cleared up my baby girl would get her pretty studs...
also, random people would see her and say "she is so cute! such a girlie girl! where are her earrings???" and I hated explaining that I was waiting for after the surgery, etc...

I was shocked when my husband wasn't all for it (honestly a little annoyed that he waited for the medical thing to clear up before expressing his view, but that's another issue!)

After reading all your posts, maybe I'll just put this issue aside for now and give it some more thought before continuing to beg my husband lol.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 9:36 am
My girls are practically born with earrings!!

thunderstorm

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 9:39 am
mille wrote:
So much for the brit milah then.

The only response I have for this is:
Bris Mila is a Mitzvah min Hatorah and earrings are not
And, if we waited to do a bris when the child is older it is much much more painful than it is when they are eight days old. That is well known.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 10:30 am
Teomima wrote:
I don't believe in piercing young children's/baby's ears. No judgement of those who do (and for the record I currently have 9 ear piercings myself), but it's still body modification and I don't believe in doing it to someone else without their consent.

I prefer to wait till my children ask. Currently only one daughter has, my 9yo got hers pierced (professionally, with a needle) about a month ago. She was sure she wanted it, we watched videos online to prepare, she was totally calm and happy to get it done and takes responsibility for cleaning her own ears. If/when her sisters exhibit the same interest, I will take them to get theirs done as well.

This (except that unlike Teomima, I have zero body piercings). I am actually happy that my mother never pierced my ears; I like having whole, unpierced earlobes. I've worn clip-on earrings occasionally, and I like the way they look, but it is not worth it for me to put holes in my earlobes for the few times that I want to wear earrings.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics