Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Teen dd embarrassed of toe fungus
1  2  Next

amother
Beige

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 11:28 pm
Hi, my thirteen year old has fungus on one of her big toes and she is going to sleep away camp. Her pediatrician did not recommend her taking any medication for it. She is getting nervous since she is embarrassed that girls will see and think its gross. Anyone have any ideas on what we can do????

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 11:38 pm
Nail polish?
It won't go away on its own. Why not just take care of it?

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 11:46 pm
put vinegar on it every night . it really helps. my nail gets back to normal if im good about doing it everyday.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 11:48 pm
https://www.rxlist.com/lamisil-drug.htm

As long as she doesn't have liver issues, this will do the trick

Shoshie

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 11:48 pm
Soak in apple cider vinegar or bleach. Google for specifics. Don't expect an instant cure, but it does work.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 11:51 pm
DS didn't want to take oral meds for toenail fungus because of side affects. He soaked his foot in a tea tree oil solution for 40-60 minutes every day and also put it on the cuticle area with a dropper every night before he went to sleep. He bought a bunch of new socks and never wore a pair twice. He threw them in the bin instead if the hamper. Took about 3 weeks and the fungus cleared up.

momof2+?

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 12:05 am
Amother pumpkin, 3weeks???
I thought it takes as long as it takes for the full nail to grow out. What is the tea tree oil solution?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 12:15 am
momof2+? wrote:
Amother pumpkin, 3weeks???
I thought it takes as long as it takes for the full nail to grow out. What is the tea tree oil solution?

Yeah. If it would have been longer I would have made him wash the socks. IIRC it was just tea tree oil, epsom salt and water.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 12:15 am
BE VERY CAREFUL,,, My husb had nasty fungus in groin area, and showered with TT soap every day and used topical solution for a year... It smelled awful and did absolutely nothing..

Finally I insisted he go to a Derm.. He took sporanox pills and it cleared up immediately..

amother
White

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 12:18 am
Tea tree oil worked for my toenail fungus. I just applied the oil straight all around, over and under the nail using a q tip every day.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 12:23 am
Lamisil (oral medication) is really easy and really worked for me, only problem is it bounced right back a few months after clearing up. Don’t want to keep on taking as it can be dangerous for liver.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 12:49 am
It's not worth taking the antifungal pill, you have to get monthly blood tests to check if the liver isn't affected by the pill and it can come back. Tell her to put on a few thick coats of nail polish to cover it.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 1:34 am
I have a fungus since I was a kid. everything I tried never made it go away. I believe its from a trauma to the toe and I long made peace with it.
When I went to a frummer camp I made sure to always wear crocs to the pool.
When I went to a more open minded camp I wore bright nail polish and kept the nail cut short.
As an adult I get a pedicure once in a while and get it shaven down and bring my own nail polish.

cookiewriter

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 8:07 am
Why don’t you go to a podiatrist or a dermatologist? My 13 dd has the exact thing right now and is also going to sleepaway. Podiatrist prescribed naftin cream daily and new bandaid daily and to cut that toenail last and sanitize the clipper after using.

cookiewriter

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 8:08 am
It is gross and VERY hard to get rid of. Start now while she’s still young and not in shidduchim!!!! Go to a dr!

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 8:28 am
Lamisil cream works for me. It's OTC.

ETA make sure to wear slippers in the shower. Often, that's where it spreads.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 9:29 am
cookiewriter wrote:
It is gross and VERY hard to get rid of. Start now while she’s still young and not in shidduchim!!!! Go to a dr!

This. The longer you have it the harder it is to get rid of. Take care of it ASAP before it's not treatable anymore. Ideally people should look out for skin issues near the nails because the fungus starts there and only spreads to the nails later. Once it reaches the nails it's harder to treat.

piece

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 9:30 am
a neighbor of mine said vitamin D worked for her....
my own experience----waited till it got really bad & finally went to foot Dr. who shaves it down & clips here & there & now at least it looks neat (wish I would have done this ages ago). I dont want to take medication if possible.

gamanit

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 1:31 pm
I took cimetidine for a fungal infection on my thumb once.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 2:19 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
Why don’t you go to a podiatrist or a dermatologist? My 13 dd has the exact thing right now and is also going to sleepaway. Podiatrist prescribed naftin cream daily and new bandaid daily and to cut that toenail last and sanitize the clipper after using.

Is this naftin cream new? What do you do with the bandaid? How do you sanitize the clipper after?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children