Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dd bedwetting wants to go to overnight camp
1  2  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 4:52 pm
My dd 11 bed wets when she's very nervous about something or when there's a change. In the summer she wants to go to overnight camp but she's afraid because of this issue. Can anything be done about it?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 1:46 pm
Bump

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 1:50 pm
I have a relative whose child took either a pill or a spray to prevent this, during camp.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:
I have a relative whose child took either a pill or a spray to prevent this, during camp.

Thanks. Is there a way you can find out what it's called?

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 2:59 pm
I work at an overnight camp. The most common bedwetting medication amongst my campers is desmopressin but I'm sure there are more. You can speak to your child's dr. He/she should have some ideas.

I don't think bedwetting in camp is the end of the world but you should definitely let the camp know in advance and find out how they deal with it. Definitely send up a couple of sets of linen and tip her counselors or whoever ends up doing her extra laundry.

If she wants to go to camp, bedwetting should not hold her back.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 5:08 pm
My siblings and kids were prescribed DDAVP

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 5:43 pm
Thanks. What exactly does that medicine do? Is it only given on the days she might have accidents? So when she goes to camp she'll take it every day?

cnc

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 5:45 pm
Have you ever taken the child to a urologist for the issue?
Not all kids need the medication. There are other things to do before that.

benny

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 5:54 pm
The pill is taken every night before sleep. It really works.

Miri7

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 6:24 pm
amother wrote:
I you should definitely let the camp know in advance and find out how they deal with it. Definitely send up a couple of sets of linen and tip her counselors or whoever ends up doing her extra laundry.

If she wants to go to camp, bedwetting should not hold her back.

This is great advice! Camps deal with this and if the counselors are prepared they can help DD with minimal embarrassment in case of an accident

tweek

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 6:42 pm
I may be the only one saying this, but if you can’t get it under control before the summer, I wouldn’t send her.

11 is still young. She doesn’t NEED to go to camp. Ask people who’s parents sent them while they were still bed wetting. It is quite traumatic. Counselors are not as professional as we wish they would be. There are no guarantees that it will be handled right by them or by other campers. It is not worth the trade off. If it’s not under control I would wait another year and work on it.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 6:59 pm
I'm not sure if and what I can do about it. It only happens before and during changes.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jun 02 2018, 2:54 pm
Will she wear a pull up under her nighgown? There are some that are slim fitting, and won't be noticed by the other girls. I know girls who have done that at camp. They change in and out of them in the bathroom, put the used ones in a plastic bag, and dump it in the trash when no one is looking. It's not much different than being on your period in camp.

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Jun 02 2018, 5:23 pm
my uncle is a counsellor in camp. when he heard hes has a camper who may wet. he asks parents to buy and send 2 sets of same linen. he sets his alarm before the camp wakes. goes in and wakes the camper. changes his linens and sends him to shower
the other kids are none the wiser. bh

amother
Purple

Post Sat, Jun 02 2018, 10:11 pm
They should put her near someone who has the same thing.

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Jun 02 2018, 10:53 pm
You must make sure to get the counselors on board with you on the issue!!!

When I was 12 there was a girl in my bunk who wet her bed almost every night. After a few days, she stopped changing her linen, and slept on a wet mattress (no plastic), on top bunk until the mattress was so over-saturated than it dripped down to girl sleeping on bottom bunk. Our bunkhouse had a strong urine smell all the time. Instead of helping, the counselors brought lysol when she wasn't in the room, sprayed it all over her bed, and made a grand announcement to everyone who was in the room that this girls mother said she'd never bedwet before, and they don't understand why she doesn't wear diapers and take care of her linen. They continued to make fun of this kid until she came back into the room...
(I did not return to this camp ever again)

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Jun 02 2018, 10:59 pm
amother wrote:
You must make sure to get the counselors on board with you on the issue!!!

When I was 12 there was a girl in my bunk who wet her bed almost every night. After a few days, she stopped changing her linen, and slept on a wet mattress (no plastic), on top bunk until the mattress was so over-saturated than it dripped down to girl sleeping on bottom bunk. Our bunkhouse had a strong urine smell all the time. Instead of helping, the counselors brought lysol when she wasn't in the room, sprayed it all over her bed, and made a grand announcement to everyone who was in the room that this girls mother said she'd never bedwet before, and they don't understand why she doesn't wear diapers and take care of her linen. They continued to make fun of this kid until she came back into the room...
(I did not return to this camp ever again)

How awful! When I was a counselor I made sure that nobody else ever knew that one of the girls was a bedwetter.

exhausted

Post Sat, Jun 02 2018, 11:10 pm
Doctors don't use the spray anymore. Be aware that the pills don't work for everyone, they worked for my neice but don't work for 2 of my boys. They wear pullups every night and leak through them a few times a week.

losingweight

Post Sat, Jun 02 2018, 11:33 pm
Try the ddavp at home first. It slows yheburine production so the child doesn't wet. My kids camp has the night security person wake the bedwetters and take them to the bathroom in middle of the night. Maybe you can arrange something like that.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 3:10 am
losingweight wrote:
Try the ddavp at home first. It slows yheburine production so the child doesn't wet. My kids camp has the night security person wake the bedwetters and take them to the bathroom in middle of the night. Maybe you can arrange something like that.

DDAVP/Desmopresin/minoring melt help some kids. Helped dd perfectly, does nothing for ds, even on the higher dosage.
If I wake ds at night, he won’t make. Even if I take him to the toilet and lower his pants.

Pull-ups and identical bedding and a helpful counselor sound great.

But visit a pediatric urologist too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics