Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Cooking other food while on diet

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 4:39 pm
HELP! Every Thursday night I go off my diet as I make shabbos food for family, guests, etc. If I cook or bake something delicious or unusual, I must taste it... it's a compulsion... And unfortunately, I suffer from inability to portion control and end up eating too much.

How do I not taste my food? Tips and tricks welcome.

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 4:45 pm
What’s your diet? Can you cook mostly things that are okay for you to eat? Depending on your exact restrictions of course. Some diets are easy to make Shabbos food on, like low carb, low sugar, etc.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 4:55 pm
amother wrote:
HELP! Every Thursday night I go off my diet as I make shabbos food for family, guests, etc. If I cook or bake something delicious or unusual, I must taste it... it's a compulsion... And unfortunately, I suffer from inability to portion control and end up eating too much.

How do I not taste my food? Tips and tricks welcome.

I have the same issue. It's so hard. Wish I could control myself.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 5:12 pm
Something that helped me stop being so compulsive & helped me control myself (I lost 55lbs in the last 18 months) was I told myself “would a skinny person do this?”
It kind of was my mantra when I started my diet. When I wanted something that was fattening I would take a very small portion & tell myself that if I want to be slim I need to act like a slim person would. It really helped me stop eating compulsively. Fake it till you make it.
Good luck.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:22 am
I chew gum while I cook. I don't taste. If it's super necessary I have my husband be the taster.

trixx

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 1:13 am
make yourself fleishig, or milchig, whichever. if you have pills or vitamins to take on an empty stomach, time it accordingly.

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 5:51 am
Don’t taste. Get a family member to taste test , and then only if absolutely necessary. If you follow a recipe rather than throwing in a little bit of this and a little bit of that ad lib, there’s no need to taste test.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 7:31 am
I look at foods that are not on my diet (sugar and simple carbs) and I say "this is what makes me lumpy" out loud.

I now still have lots of packaged damishes left from when my Yeshiva boys visited a few weeks ago that would've been gone in a few days before this diet! I trained myself to look at these foods as stuff that's bad for my body.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 10:18 am
I cook food every week for many shabbos guests.

I would like to tell you I only make desserts I don't like, or don't love. If I make danishes, for example, all self control goes out of the window. But brownies are not so tempting. In practice this doesn't always happen...

I do allow myself to indulge on shabbos, up to a point. I eat challah, desserts etc and don't count points. I'm on ww and there are a lot of "free" foods (eggs, fish, chicken breast) so I try and make as many healthy options as I can. Salmon, zero points salads and sides.

I never taste my food while cooking, ever. If you make a great new dessert, enjoy a small piece at the shabbos meal.

I have a lot of cheesecake left from shavuos which I froze and while I ate a lot of it on shavuos, I've not touched it since although my family are enjoying it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise