Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Bnos Rabbeinu Chicago
1  2  Next

pecan

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 10:31 am
Can anyone tell me about this high school in Chicago? The type of girl it's geared to and how the girls come out?

potatoes

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 10:32 am
I heard it closed down..?

pecan

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 1:03 pm
Does anyone know of any other small schools that give individual attention and have a good success rate?

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 1:48 pm
I don't know if it still exists, but it had been on the verge of closing for many, many years. It was not really accepted in any circles. It was a hard line Lubavitch Meshichist school. Many had out of towns attending as the locals pretty much toe the local Lubabvitch non-Meshichist line. It was very very small. And, based on what I'd heard (definitely not first hand), there was not a good success rate.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 2:06 pm
I went to Lubavitch for a year just before the split. I don’t think highly of it.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 2:11 pm
I went for all four years of high school and loved (almost) every minute of it. Only great memories. Of course, everybody had different experiences, but I enjoyed the learning and made lifelong friends.
Unfortunately, it's not functioning at the moment, which is a shame, since Mrs. Turen is a very talented educator, if slightly "unorthodox" in her methods.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:
I went for all four years of high school and loved (almost) every minute of it. Only great memories. Of course, everybody had different experiences, but I enjoyed the learning and made lifelong friends.
Unfortunately, it's not functioning at the moment, which is a shame, since Mrs. Turen is a very talented educator, if slightly "unorthodox" in her methods.

You said it well.

And I dont beleive it is functioning right now.

Op, it sounds like your looking for a lubavitch school? What type?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:
You said it well.

And I dont beleive it is functioning right now.

Op, it sounds like your looking for a lubavitch school? What type?

Might I recommend LGHS, the other Lubavitch hs in Chicago? I've heard only good things about it.

happymom123

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 3:04 pm
Still exists Smile. Just passed ads for it on Kingston Ave.

I've heard good things about the school in New Haven. Small and solid, warm individual attention, don't know much else though

pecan

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 3:28 pm
The other school in Chicago has high expectations -too high. I need a school that caters to the individual who is not the most academic, but still helps them grow. Not the best behaviorally either

shluchamom

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 3:39 pm
If you have a place for them to stay I would highly recommend bnos chomesh. Mrs Gorkin is brilliant in educational skills and it's a great place for the right girl.

pecan

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 4:01 pm
I don't like the bnos chomesh girls, I feel like they are worse hashkafically. I need a school with overall better girls than that. I have researched them already.
Yes, I prefer Chabad.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 5:44 pm
Perhaps you'll get more info if you post in the Lubavitch section

happymom123

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 5:51 pm
pecan wrote:
I don't like the bnos chomesh girls, I feel like they are worse hashkafically. I need a school with overall better girls than that. I have researched them already.
Yes, I prefer Chabad.

Sounds like Beis Chana in Orange, CT is the kind of place you're looking for

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 5:52 pm
pecan wrote:
Yes, I prefer Chabad.

Bnos rabbeinu did not have overall girls better than that, after the divide...

My sister attended before the devide. Me after. Huge difference.
Shame Mrs turens talents are being used fully in a proper structure that will bring out her maalos etc.
Running a. School from scratch on her own, doesn't bring out the maalos.
She is a brilliant educator, chassidishe lady.
The admins need to be left up to someome else.

OP- what about new haven? Or one of the American Israeli programs. Girls do well there and you can get good scholarships

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 5:55 pm
Mothers that say they went, do you mean before the split or Bnos Rabbeinu proper? LGHS with Mrs. Turen was a phenomenal school, now neither of the two is amazing, although LGHS and Toronto are probably two of the most "stable" schools.

Pittsburgh and LA are both pretty good schools, although catering more to the in-towners. Coral Springs is not known as the most Chassidish. Montreal is only an option if you speak fluent French, but if you do it's worth looking into - the girls are really special.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 5:57 pm
amother wrote:
Mothers that say they went, do you mean before the split or Bnos Rabbeinu proper? LGHS with Mrs. Turen was a phenomenal school, now neither of the two is amazing, although LGHS and Toronto are probably two of the most "stable" schools.

Pittsburgh and LA are both pretty good schools, although catering more to the in-towners. Coral Springs is not known as the most Chassidish. Montreal is only an option if you speak fluent French, but if you do it's worth looking into - the girls are really special.

Pittsburgh is going through a rough patch now, level of chassidishkeit is MUCH lower than in the past.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 5:58 pm
With all due respect and I feel for you in your challenging situation of finding a good fit for your daughter please lets remember that these girls at any schools are all daughters of Hashem B'nos Melech hopefully looking to grow and learn al pi darko.
As are us mothers.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 6:19 pm
amother wrote:
With all due respect and I feel for you in your challenging situation of finding a good fit for your daughter please lets remember that these girls at any schools are all daughters of Hashem B'nos Melech hopefully looking to grow and learn al pi darko.
As are us mothers.

Thats a very kind charitable way of saying, that teenage girls who are haskafically weak (translation: their skirt is 2 inches below knee, not 4, they have a smart phone), are a million times more beloved to Hashem than a mature adult mother saying mean disgusting things about innocent bnos yisroel on their way up the ladder while the aforementioned mother is higher up the ladder, but on the way down...

pecan

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 6:20 pm
Thank you for all your help. What are some American Israeli programs that are worth looking into?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children