Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Shabbos in poconos

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 10:22 pm
looking to go to poconos for shabbos visiting day weekend to be near camp Sunday morning. any ideas of a rental near shul? I can bring food if necessary, prefer not to. dont want to do visiting day round trip in one day..

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 10:31 pm
I don't think there are Shuls in the Poconos

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 10:36 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I don't think there are Shuls in the Poconos

no summer programs? isnt tannersville near there?

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 10:43 pm
amother wrote:
no summer programs? isnt tannersville near there?

Tannersville, NY has numerous Shuls. But that's not the Poconos. There is a tannersville, pa that is in the Poconos

Where exactly is the camp?

doctorima

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 11:00 pm
There are a couple summer camps there with seasonal minyan, but the odds of finding a rental walking distance to them will be quite challenging. I'd recommend staying in Scranton, which is a bit farther than you need to go, but which is an established Jewish community, where you'll easily be able to find hotels/rentals in walking distance of normal shuls along routes that are safe to walk.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 11:19 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Tannersville, NY has numerous Shuls. But that's not the Poconos. There is a tannersville, pa that is in the Poconos

Where exactly is the camp?

tannersville seems to be an hr from the camp as well as scranton. can someone guide me to a hotel near a shul in either location or preferably a rental home since I'm coming w the family ?

wow

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 8:49 am
http://springwellmanor.net

I was never there but I see them advertised a lot.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 9:12 am
wow wrote:
http://springwellmanor.net

I was never there but I see them advertised a lot.

This is Tannersville in NY. That's 3 hours from Tannersville in PA.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 9:30 am
Scranton or Kingston, PA have Jewish communities. There is also a Chabad in East Stroudsburg.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 10:35 am
In Scranton many people stay at the Hilton or Radisson (across the street from each other), which are both nice hotels about a 10-minute walk to the local shul. You could also check AirBNB and VRBO to see if you can find a rental in the area. If you want the Poconos, do NOT stay in Tannersville, NY (Springwell Manor or anywhere else in that area).

shanie5

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 9:52 pm
doctorima wrote:
In Scranton many people stay at the Hilton or Radisson (across the street from each other), which are both nice hotels about a 10-minute walk to the local shul. You could also check AirBNB and VRBO to see if you can find a rental in the area. If you want the Poconos, do NOT stay in Tannersville, NY (Springwell Manor or anywhere else in that area).

Probably closer to 20 minutes

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:08 pm
shanie5 wrote:

doesnt sound ideal with small kids but thanks.

doctorima

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:17 pm
shanie5 wrote:

Really? You live there so you would know better, but DH has done it from the Radisson on more than one occasion, and always says it takes him about 10 minutes, though he said it's uphill going there and downhill coming back.

ETA: I checked Google Maps, which says it's .6 miles from the Radisson to Machazikei Hadas, the main shul in town.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 11:16 am
google chabad yeshiva of the Poconos. They have rentals on ground.
GoDaven also has temporary minyanim in some of the large rental areas. But they are sometimes posted last minute.

shanie5

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 11:05 pm
doctorima wrote:
Really? You live there so you would know better, but DH has done it from the Radisson on more than one occasion, and always says it takes him about 10 minutes, though he said it's uphill going there and downhill coming back.

ETA: I checked Google Maps, which says it's .6 miles from the Radisson to Machazikei Hadas, the main shul in town.

I still say at least 15 minutes-and some of it uphill. Especially with kids. A fast walker can do it in less.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 11:06 pm
shanie5 wrote:
I still say at least 15 minutes-and some of it uphill. Especially with kids. A fast walker can do it in less.

any other more feasible suggestions? maybe an air bnb?

shanie5

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 11:14 pm
Don't know any airbnb. There used to be a bed and breakfast nearby, but it closed.

doctorima

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 7:41 am
I believe that the hotels mentioned above are in the eruv, so if the walk is too hard for little ones, you should be able to push them in a stroller if that makes a difference (though verify the eruv map before doing so).

shanie5

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 9:23 am
They are both eruv accessible, but (at least with the Hilton) you have to know which door to use as only part of it is inside the eruv.

shoshi2222

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 10:56 pm
There is a new Shul in the poconos
Am echad poconos shul
They’re at 104 keter drive canadensis pa
They have houses for rent on sight. And they even had kosher food this summer.
I heard next year they’re opening a full on kosher restaurant
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics