Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Child allergic to wheat, eggs,peanuts ect.

3kids

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 2:18 pm
I just found out for sure that my baby (7 month) is allergic to wheat, eggs, peanuts, sesame, pecan and corn. I figured he was allergic to most of these things from seeing his reaction when I ate them. ( im nursing) I really was never allergic to "main foods" and I have to say that I am abit hungry! I was wondering if some of you can help me with ideas of what to eat instead of wheat maybe even some recipes with alternate ingredients. thanx so much

Classicookie

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 3:39 pm
it might be for the best to suplement with formula bec you have to be helty for yourself but if you really want to try with the dit you can try spelt or ot stuff

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 3:47 pm
Spelt bread tastes pretty similar to white bread - a local bakery makes it here on certain days so you should call your local bakeries and see - you never know what they make- and just buy a ton and freeze. Or you could make it yourself if you have a breadmachine there are recipes somewhere here. I've also found spelt and flax pitas in the store - with no eggs - and you can just keep the pitas in your freezer....

You can buy rice pasta (comes in all shapes even lasagna) if you go to the organic or health food section of your grocery store. It taste exactly like regular pasta.

When I was trying to figure out dd's allergies I also lived on rice cakes and avocado - I lost tons of weight!

3kids

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 3:50 pm
thanx for the replies. I was actually thinking that its a good way to lose weight but honeslty I prefer to eat. I'm going to try to wean him................

cdawnr

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 4:30 pm
If you pm me with your email address I will give it to my friend whose son is allergic to corn and eggs and nuts...

she has lots and lots of recipes.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 5:43 pm
http://www.amazon.com/Feeding-.....r=8-1

you may like this book.

3kids

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 6:46 pm
I baught the book for .79 from half.com. hopefully ill find some good recipes.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 7:18 pm
look up the recipe for coke Smile

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 9:49 pm
Even more so for your son you should still nurse him if he has such extreme allergies. If those are his allergies then you better get used to it now because its not going to go away overnight. Just because you can eat it doesn't mean its not going to be difficult because you are his mom and you are going to have to find food for him to eat. Those foods are hard to cut out of your diet but not impossible. You will still be able to eat tons of food. BH there are so many things out there that arefree of those foods. Just remember if those are his alleriges you will need to get a special formula for him. Also know that tons of stuff have corn syrup in it especially medicines. I would heavily discourage weaning.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 10:36 pm
did you have allergies checked by dr/blood test? what reactions did he have?
I know someone who's son has a bunch of similar allergies. He eats a lot of meatballs and rice.
good luck!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 10:59 pm
rice pasta with meat sauce.
rice lasagna noodles for meat lasagna, or cheese.
meatballs and rice spaghetti
chicken salad
avocado salad
stuffed peppers made with brown rice, veggies, ground meat or tofu...
these are all good filling meals.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 11:01 pm
some more...
salmon
tuna salad with rice or spelt pasta..

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 11:05 pm
PickleLady wrote:
I would heavily discourage weaning.
Yeah, lots of babies (much younger though) end up needing treif formula because their mothers didn't nurse or stopped nursing, and then discovered too late that the child is allergic to milk-based or soy-based formulas, and needs the ones with the enzymes.

It's more complicated when you stop nursing. Although it's more doable once the baby is older, and not dependent on the formula.

BrachaV'Hatzlacha wrote:
I know someone who's son has a bunch of similar allergies. He eats a lot of meatballs and rice.
Yumm! Our doctor advised a chicken and rice menu for an elimination diet...(trying to find out what is the offending food).

amother

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 11:31 pm
yes I strongly agree that especially because of the alergies you should give it an honest strong shot at continuing to nurse.

my doctor told me once that many children who have allergies end up being allergic to the formulas too.

You don't want to run that risk.

think of it like you said, that its a good way to lose weight and you may just be happier in the long run Smile .

you won't go hungry just keep checking for recipes and things you can eat.
and when you are tempted to eat something you aren't alowed to eat, think to yourself, the pleasure is fleeing and temporary but tomorow its gone and meaningless. Then in a couple of months time when you realize you succeeded you will feel great. (especially if you lose weight in the process LOL )

Classicookie

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 11:34 pm
Yeah, lots of babies (much younger though) end up needing treif formula because their mothers didn't nurse or stopped nursing, and then discovered too late that the child is allergic to milk-based or soy-based formulas, and needs the ones with the enzymes.

fyi my baby is on a milk and soy free formula it dose not have an ou on it but it is not treif I know this since we asked the ou about it and they said its fine fine to use

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Nov 14 2007, 7:47 am
The corn allergy is most likely going to be the hardest. Food alleriges are becoming more recongnized and there are even kosher cookbooks with recipes for allergies without the common allergens in them. Reducing those iems out of your diet will be hard but manageble. It will take time to adjust but you will adjust to it.

My son has allergies and giving him formula made things alot harder for me because he was having reactions to many of them, you will most likely have an even harder time because of the wheat and corn allergy. Your milk is so much better for him than formula. Why would you not want to work hard to make sure he could have breatmilk just because of this small inconvience?

My son has allergies and I know the diffculties from it . Just wait till he goes to school. Birthday parties and he will need special snacks at school. You will constantly need to inform people of your sons allergens. If your child really has these allergies then this is just the TIP of the iceberg to a huge adjustment. Remember you will only need to avoid these foods for a little while but your child will need to avoid them for alot longer.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Nov 14 2007, 8:29 am
I also think that you should keep nursing esp. with all of the allergies - it's much more important.

However, some good news...

Dh was allergic to EVERYTHING as a kid - wheat, eggs, dairy, nuts, seeds, etc. etc. etc.

Now, B"H, the only things he cannot eat are nuts (which he carries an epipen for) and some seeds and some other really random things that don't make much sense...think eggplant that hasn't been cooked to death...anyway, he can eat eggs, dairy, wheat, etc.

The funny thing is he never developed a taste for anythign due to the allergies, so a lot he still doesn't eat, but I was the first person to introduce him to ice cream - maybe that's why he asked me to marry him Smile))

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 5:01 pm
Use Potato starch to thicken recipes with, rather than corn starch. Also, I wonder if there are any kosher Registered Dieticians in our midst. Perhaps if Original Poster starts a new thread asking, you may receive some leads and truly get some ideas...Best Wishes!

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 10:59 pm
Hi, if you want a list of hidden corn sources, please pm me, it's long and complex (hint, it's in everything). dh and dd have allergies, but ds is allergic to corn, eggs, soy, legumes, sesame, sunflower, peanuts, tree nuts, and sensitive to wheat and dairy. I know from where you come!!!!
Bakeries are a death trap (sorry to be so graphic) but they all use eggs, and even if there is no egg in a product it could have been made at the same time in the oven as an egg product, and often they use egg wash to seal dough or glaze, so it's basically everywhere. I have some great egg free recipes.

Corn, real tough to avoid, not impossible. If you learn all it's hidden names and commmon products, it's not so bad. In home recipes, I use potato starch as a thickener, spelt breadcrumbs or spelt matzomeal (instead of cornmeal), and the rest I avoid.

nuts/peanuts - also not so easy as they are often thrown into everything ('cuz they are cheap, healthy and 'fancy'), but easily avoidable when known.

Re. birthday parties and school, it's a whole new scene. PM for some tips when out with kids who eat, and school tricks.

If I may suggest, don't spend hours on the compuer searching allergies, etc... I did that in the beg. and nearly drove myself crazy!!!!!! Take in new information in small, rel. easy to digect bits. For now you are still nursing, so use that time to educate yourself and dh before food becomes a real big issue.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics