Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Low cost activities for vacation
1  2  Next

OBnursemom

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 12:23 pm
In our attempt to be able to afford our lifestyle and not keep up with the Joneses, I need to compose a list of activities to do with kids who aren’t being amused by daycamp (for whatever reason).

Please don’t give specific locations for your activity ideas, as I don’t want to say where I live.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 12:46 pm
Local library, many museums have free days or admission by donation, parks with nice playgrounds, cheap arts and crafts kits can keep them busy for many hours, hiking.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 1:15 pm
Some libraries have free tickets to local attractions or museums; splash pads in parks; volunteering at animal shelter; public gardens or arboretums; story time at library or book store (many places have summer reading programs going on); camping in the woods; crafts from dollar store or walmart.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 3:59 pm
The local parks here have tons of activities.
I look up the local county park system and neighboring ones online. Many times there are demos, crafts, activities, lessons, hikes, that are free or very cheap.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 4:04 pm
How old are the kids?

I'd explore playgrounds. There are tons of 'destination playgrounds' and they're all free

Check out mommypoppins for tons of great ideas

thelioness

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 4:42 pm
Depends on the age range.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 5:22 pm
fruit picking

redheaded

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 6:18 pm
Create a schedule.

9 breakfast
10 prayers
11 Monday trip, Tuesday prep gourmet supper, Wednesday water playground, Thursday trip. Friday crafts

4-5 down time, mom gets time out no interruptions

5:30 dinner
7 family board games

livinginflatbus

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 7:01 pm
pesek zman wrote:
How old are the kids?

I'd explore playgrounds. There are tons of 'destination playgrounds' and they're all free

I second this . She has amazing ideas

saraby

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 7:50 pm
Kidsbowlfree.com - Register and your kids can play 2 free games every day of summer.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 8:01 pm
saraby wrote:
Kidsbowlfree.com - Register and your kids can play 2 free games every day of summer.

Is tbis eligible for use on Sunday (and Friday)?

enneamom

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 9:05 pm
Farms, stables, nature centers can all be free. You just have to do a bit of Google searching to find interesting ones near you.

If you're able to get to Manhattan easily, the Museum of Natural History is officially by donation, meaning you can pay any amount to get in (50 cents, etc.)

Historical landmarks and small local museums can often be free, if you like old-fashioned or historical outings.

Fun free places we've been:

Prospect Park, Brooklyn:
Lefferts Historic House - interactive old farmhouse, fun for kids
Kensington Stables near the park - can go in, pet and feed the horses. Pony rides $3.
The Boathouse - fun for toddlers. Tanks with turtles, snakes etc and a small activity room
Sprinklers and playgrounds throughout the park.

Maryland, near Baltimore:
Jerusalem Mill Village - like Richmond Town in Staten Island, but on a smaller scale and free.

Near Monsey, NY:
Stony Point Battlefield - very cool historic battlefield with a nearby old lighthouse. They had a musket demonstration when we went, great for boys.
J. A. McFaul Environmental Center, Wyckoff, NJ - beautiful park and trails with animals and exhibits
Bear Mountain - same sort of thing but nicer

Pennsylvania:
Long's Park in Lancaster - free petting zoo, kids can go in with the animals who are extremely tame, some adorable baby goats this time of year. Nice playgrounds, picnic areas, in general a really nice park.

Massachusetts:
USS Constitution in Boston Harbor - old restored ship with free tours, also a kid-friendly museum nearby by optional donation
Wayside Inn, Sudbury, MA - adults might appreciate this one more. Beautiful historical inn with walking trails and an old restored mill nearby for tourists.

These are all that come to mind ATM...

ETA if you want you can PM me with specific questions so you don't have to publicize your location

runninglate

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 9:28 pm
saraby wrote:
Is there any catch to this? Why are they giving out free games?

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 9:51 pm
runninglate wrote:
Is there any catch to this? Why are they giving out free games?

I've done it. You just pay for shoes. There is a family pass you can pay for if you want to bowl with them. Each location has different hours that you can use it, but most are all day. No catch.

OBnursemom

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 10:29 pm
pesek zman wrote:
How old are the kids?

All ages- newborn to teenager, boys and girls. We’re a rowdy (and fun) group.

OBnursemom

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 10:30 pm
OutATowner wrote:
I've done it. You just pay for shoes. There is a family pass you can pay for if you want to bowl with them. Each location has different hours that you can use it, but most are all day. No catch.

My local location is 5-8 pm. Not a huge problem. It’ll just be night activity. Lol.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 10:41 pm
I know that you don't want to say your location, but if you do live in NYC you can register for IDNYC and get free or reduced cost membership to a variety of places.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 1:47 am
OutATowner wrote:

I bought my daughter bowling shoes on eBay for $15- and then the games ere completely free.

enneamom

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 11:42 am
Another free place we liked: the new Brooklyn Bridge Museum, near Brooklyn Bridge Park so you can make a day out of it. It's a small museum about the history of Brooklyn, with adorable activities for the kids and educational exhibits for adults. My kids loved the part where you can "star" in a short old-timey film. I'd say you could probably get 1-2 hours max out of the museum, depending on the kids' ages.

It's located at 55 Water Street, in a beautiful remodeled warehouse in Dumbo, with shops and a nice public lounge. Supposedly there are great views from the roof, though we didn't have time to check it out. You can walk along the waterfront where there are seating areas and in general a nice artsy, Downtown Brooklyn vibe.

Brooklyn Bridge Park is lots of fun. There's a water play area, swing area, sand play area, giant slide area, carousel (not free) and more.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 11:57 am
If u live in tristate area u can check out redtri.com
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics