Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Running a 5k without paying
1  2  Next

malky800

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 6:19 pm
Has anyone tried to run in a marathon or 5k without paying registration fee?
Do they really not let you run on the path of you don't have a bib?
My daughter wants to run a july 4th 5k, and I'll pay for her, but if I just want to run part of it with her without paying will I get into trouble?

5S5Sr7z3

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 7:24 pm
They'll probably ask her to get off the marathon route if they see her without a bib.

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 7:39 pm
Why wouldn't you just pay? Why risk stealing, which destroys the world?

malky800

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 7:43 pm
I am willing to pay for my daughter. She wants the bib and timing and all.
but if I want to join just to watch her, why should I pay an additional $50 ?
Is that stealing? I am not getting any of the paraphenalia.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 7:44 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
Why wouldn't you just pay? Why risk stealing, which destroys the world?

Registration for these things are $$$. Most people pay via fundraising. I agree that she should pay to participate, just answering your question. And it sounds like OP has no issue paying.

mommyof6

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 7:46 pm
Yes. It's stealing. Just like all other forms of stealing. Why should you pay. Because those are the rules. Just because you want to run doesn't give you the right to do it without paying.

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 7:48 pm
Check this out

https://www.runnersworld.com/r.....-for/

shyshira

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 9:23 pm
malky800 wrote:
I am willing to pay for my daughter. She wants the bib and timing and all.
but if I want to join just to watch her, why should I pay an additional $50 ?
Is that stealing? I am not getting any of the paraphenalia.

People watch from the sidelines.

Its not stealing - but its probably against the rules.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 9:33 pm
malky800 wrote:
My daughter wants to run a july 4th 5k, and I'll pay for her, but if I just want to run part of it with her without paying will I get into trouble?

I imagine that this is a fundraiser for a good cause? They probably paid the city/wherever to rent the path to hold the race, no?

I'd say best not to do it. You have more to lose than to gain. Run the path after the race is over. Otherwise it can look like a frum woman is trying to cheat in a race/ deprive a charity of its money.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 10:30 pm
I think it's splitting hairs to say it's not stealing - it's a theft of service. The service is all of the work and permissions the sponsoring organization did in order to get the course set up.

Isn't crashing a concert stealing? It's somewhat of the same argument since the concert is happening anyway and you aren't listening to the whole concert.

If everyone wanted to run the course for free or a portion of the course, it would be chaos. Part of the reason they have registration fees is so that they know how to plan for the appropriate number of participants.

And I don't know where the 5K is being run but I would suspect that a frum woman running among runners clad in regular clothes would be quite obvious - especially if she wasn't wearing the correct number.

NovelConcept

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 10:48 pm
I really don't know much about running a race, nor do I want to, as I cannot imagine many worse forms of a torture that a person would willingly subject themself to... (Much less, pay for! Never knew people actually paid to torture themselves this way...)

But isn't there such a thing as a running coach, who encourages the runner?

If the mother is the coach, why can't she run alongside, rooting on her daughter?

essie14

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 3:10 am
Amarante wrote:
I think it's splitting hairs to say it's not stealing - it's a theft of service. The service is all of the work and permissions the sponsoring organization did in order to get the course set up.

Isn't crashing a concert stealing? It's somewhat of the same argument since the concert is happening anyway and you aren't listening to the whole concert.

If everyone wanted to run the course for free or a portion of the course, it would be chaos. Part of the reason they have registration fees is so that they know how to plan for the appropriate number of participants.

And I don't know where the 5K is being run but I would suspect that a frum woman running among runners clad in regular clothes would be quite obvious - especially if she wasn't wearing the correct number.

This ^^
Just register along with your daughter and have fun. Marathons are really fun, if you like to run and it will be a real bonding experience for you both.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 3:40 am
People pay for running?? Just use your legs??

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 4:24 am
Ruchel wrote:

Ruchel, I know. This seems like an American mishegas to me, and I've lived in America all my life. I understand giving money to good causes, but I don't understand what running has to do with it, and I certainly would not be comfortable asking people to sponsor me to run.

If you want to run a 5K (around 3 miles), find a park or just figure out some path in your neighborhood that allows you to run 3 miles without waiting for a traffic light, and just run. As far as timing yourself: you can either download Pacer on your smart phone (free), or get a pedometer, which can range from simple ($10) to fancier ($30, for the Fitbit knockoffs).

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 5:33 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Ruchel, I know. This seems like an American mishegas to me, and I've lived in America all my life. I understand giving money to good causes, but I don't understand what running has to do with it, and I certainly would not be comfortable asking people to sponsor me to run.

If you want to run a 5K (around 3 miles), find a park or just figure out some path in your neighborhood that allows you to run 3 miles without waiting for a traffic light, and just run. As far as timing yourself: you can either download Pacer on your smart phone (free), or get a pedometer, which can range from simple ($10) to fancier ($30, for the Fitbit knockoffs).

I just did a 10k recently. (walked, not ran) I raised quite a lot of money for tzedaka. The race cost me $20 or so to enter. (which I paid, not my sponsors - sponsors all gave money directly to my chosen tzedaka) Personally I have no problem people raising money this way. It gets people active and running or walking is not a very expensive sport. I do object to giving tzedaka money to someone to fly to hawaii and run a 10k or climb a mountain. If you want a vacation, take one. Don't take tzedaka money to have one.

cm

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 5:33 am
There are legitimate costs involved in organizing a roadrace, and there may be a charitable component. It is also a safety and security hazard to have unregistered runners in the area. If you run, register. If you want to cheer for a runner, stay on the sidelines.

To the nay-sayers above, are there no organized sporting events in your countries? Of course anyone can run 5k if they want, on a track or around the neighborhood, but some people enjoy the communal and competitive experience of an official event. Now imagine what might happen if you felt like riding your bike "just for fun" in the path of a bicycle race (I'm trying to think of a less-American analogy; I know it isn't perfect), or barging onto the soccer field to encourage your child who is playing his or her first game.

The Fourth of July event may have an associated "fun run;" many do. This type of race has looser rules, lower (or no) fees, and a family atmosphere. This is a far better choice for a parent/child activity.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 6:05 am
Ruchel wrote:

Even in France.
http://www.schneiderelectricpa.....ipate

OOTforlife

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 8:06 am
malky800 wrote:
If I were you, I would just email the organizers your question. If they tell you it's ok and someone gives you a hard time about your lack of bib, you can just whip out the email.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 8:17 am
Tour de France is not in America.
It is the same idea, but on bikes, so therefore longer.
You pay to enter and they keep track of you. It happens that people pass out or otherwise get injured. The easy I’d is for the runner's benefit.
The organizers don’t want the liability of extras they don’t know about.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 9:00 am
Tour de France is highly professional. I can't imagine a random person paying, or getting paid, to run.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics