Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
"Hishtadlus" confusion.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 7:27 pm
I get very different opinions about what hishtadlus requires. Some say that once a person does their "regular" hishtadlus then nothing they do will change the outcome that is in store for them from hashem. On the other hand I often hear about great lengths people take to succeed that is clearly beyond regular hishtadlus. Are these people working extra hard for nothing?

Practical example: dh and dw both work full time. They anticipate extra expenses coming up and are both considering adding worktime to their already full schedules by working on sundays. They are clearly doing hishtadlus without this extra workday. Will they make extra money by working these extra hours, or will hashem give them the same since they were doing hushtadlus without working this extra day?

chicco

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 7:39 pm
I don't really understand your example, but I'll share with you how I understand hishtadlus. Hishtadlus are the efforts that one can make to be able to make themselves available to whatever bracha Hashem is sending them. The more available you make yourself, the more Hashem can send. This does not mean doing things that drive you crazy/aren't practical or sustainable.

All money comes from Hashem. But the way the world works is that Hashem sends us money through natural ways. Getting a job gives Hashem an opportunity to send us that money 'naturally.' Most of us are not on the level to receive through nissim (though obviously Hashem can do anything), so we have to make ourselves available to accept through natural means. The more opportunities we give Hashem, the more we are able to receive. That does not just mean more jobs. It means making our spiritual self available to receive also. Consider yourself a vase catching rain. The wider your neck, the more rain you will catch. Hishtadlus is doing what you can to widen that neck.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 7:39 pm
I’ve made extra money and then had unexpected expenses and I always wonder if I wasn’t supposed to have the money, or if God sent the extra money bec of these expenses. I think ultimately it’s not a question anyone can really answer, but I definitely know people who work very hard and are poor and vice versa.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 9:13 pm
I think this is one of those questions one ask to ask his rav bec this is such a grey area. One person may say he did enough hishtadlus while another person will say no! Work longer Hrs or two jobs or...

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 1:08 am
I don't think it's hishtadlus for them to work on Sunday.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics