Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What age to start wearing sports bra?
1  2  Next

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 12:24 pm
I noticed my seven year old's nipples showing through some of her clothing. Her breasts haven't developed, it's just the nipples showing through. Not knowing what to do about it, I casually told her it's not so tsnius to be visible like that. I suggested she wear an undershirt, but she doesn't want an extra layer in this heat. Would it be weird if I got her training bras, since they are only like a half undershirt? She liked the idea, but I'm nervous kids would see it and make fun...

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 12:29 pm
OMG no. Please don't give her issues at SEVEN.

I was going to say, when needed (not for nipples) and when accepted by the child. My daughter has zero interest.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 12:31 pm
I think a bra would be weird for that age. If you are concerned with the nipples showing through an undershirt should do the trick. A cotton undershirt shouldn't make her too much hotter and would probably be much more comfortable than a bra.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 12:47 pm
My 10 year old has little breast buds so I bought her bralettes at Children's Place. They're pretty much like cotton undershirts cut in half with an ability to adjust the strap. They're very thin and don't add much in the way of layers in the heat but it's enough to give her a little support. You can try them or similar things from other stores.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 12:48 pm
Seven sounds wayy too young. But I wouldn't put an age on it. It depends on the individuals body and how fast they develop. I feel so bad for her. I can't imagine my 7 year old with that burden.
An undershirt should definitely blurr things.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 12:52 pm
Support isn't needed before boobs develop. Breast buds don't need support. Heck, some women don't need support with small breasts.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 12:58 pm
amother wrote:
My 10 year old has little breast buds so I bought her bralettes at Children's Place. They're pretty much like cotton undershirts cut in half with an ability to adjust the strap. They're very thin and don't add much in the way of layers in the heat but it's enough to give her a little support. You can try them or similar things from other stores.

Op here. This is what I was referring to. nothing supportive, just an added layer. Its probably only relevant for the rest of the summer, because in the fall she wont mind wearing undershirts and her clothing will be thicker.

OutATowner

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 1:00 pm
I know two 9 year olds who just got their periods. Which means 7, especially if closer to 8, can already be a concern. You dont need something for support, but you also dont want nipples showing through. The bralette sound like a good idea.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 1:11 pm
I think this child should listen to her mother and wear an undershirt with certain tops.

Yes, I do think other kids will comment at 7 yrs old. She doesn’t need a bra now so why make her self conscious at 7? It is weird to put a 7 year old in any type of bra. She should either wear an undershirt with those few shirts that show nipples or just don’t wear those shirts

DrMom

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 4:13 pm
An undershirt or a bra-top is not a sports bra.

A sports bra is designed to give extra support/immobilization when engaging in athletic activity.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 4:41 pm
amother wrote:
I think this child should listen to her mother and wear an undershirt with certain tops.

Yes, I do think other kids will comment at 7 yrs old. She doesn’t need a bra now so why make her self conscious at 7? It is weird to put a 7 year old in any type of bra. She should either wear an undershirt with those few shirts that show nipples or just don’t wear those shirts

Gotta agree with this. I'm not sure why undershirts should be any more optional than underpants once girls reach a certain stage.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 5:25 pm
Sometimes my 5 year olds nipples show through her dress. That's no reason to put a little girl in any type of bra... she's to young to even be asked if she'd like to wear one! You still have time to introduce her to the idea.
Have her wear an undershirt weather she likes it or not, or she shouldn't wear those dresses.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 5:29 pm
Undershirt undershirt undershirt. No training bras yet. Shes seven. When she older like 10, you can bring up the bralette or training bra idea. But seven? Shes a baby...

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:
Undershirt undershirt undershirt. No training bras yet. Shes seven. When she older like 10, you can bring up the bralette or training bra idea. But seven? Shes a baby...

I agree. I make my daughter wear an undershirt in the summer for that reason. And she is older than 7.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 6:23 pm
I bought this by Amazon for my 10 yr old that's showing nipples. No boobs yet.

Tank Top with Built in Crop Top Training Bra - Girls Camisole Undershirt

Copy, paste by Amazon browser. Dono why link is not going through

gittylove

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 6:36 pm
The lingerie shop in Brooklyn sells a undershirt with support ontop. So gr8 for the before bra stage- like age 9-11
7 is way too young.

carrot

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 9:04 pm
I would not allow a seven-year-old to wear things that show nipples. I'd just say (if it's a modal shell or something) that that's for wearing under something else. And make sure she has enough other clothes to wear that don't show nipples.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 11:17 pm
Chubbier girls have breast buds showing way before thinner girls do. If your dd is one of those please do get her something to cover up.
An undershirt works but a “cut undershirt” for the summer is even better.
This is what bralettes were invented for.

I saw a little girl about 8 who was wearing a sports bra with her sleeveless dress in a coordinating color. (Non jewish girl) I thought that the mother was very wise to make the sports bra match the outfit since it was showing and it was definitely needed.

Please don’t be neglectful and allow your daughter to go out without an extra layer.
At this age its not about support it’s about smoothing down the points.

chestnut

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 12:29 am
How about wearing a shell with sleeveless dresses/tops? In style and you don't need to tell her it's because of nipples showing

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 1:36 am
Puberty is getting earlier. Many girls I know need full on bras at 9 or 10.
Training bras at 8.

Training bras are good too! I was so excited to wear mine!
But 7 is awfully young...I know a few girls who got their period then, but definitely didn't wear bras.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children