Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Which science career would work for my stage of life?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 8:23 pm
I have always been fascinated by science and medicine and when I was younger, I was sure I would go to medical school or similar. I'm now in my 30s with a few young kids kh and I bH don't need to work. However, I am just itching to be involved in science and medicine. You know how they say that in order to figure out what your tafkid is, you first identify your passion? Science/medicine is definitely my passion. I feel a really strong yearning whenever I
read or hear about science/medicine related things. I love experiments and microscopes. I love explaining biology to my kids. I have no interest though in going through years of school and having a full time job. If the classes were all biology and labs, etc. I wouldn't mind. But every degree has other requirements (like math which I can't stand). I also don't want to do anything full time because I want to be there for my children when they are little.
Do I need to just put my passions and yearning aside? Or is there any way at my stage of life that I can channel this to be helping the world without compromising on my home and family?

P.S. Many people have said to me "why don't you train for a "light" career like physical therapy or even nursing?" but it's not the 'doing' part of science/medicine that interests me. It's the studying and discovering part that I love.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 8:29 pm
Physical therapy is not light in terms of training. 4 years BA, 3 more years to a doctorate. Once you are done it’s pissible to work part time is that why it’s light?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 8:32 pm
Your thread title asks what career would work for you but your op doesn't sound like you're specifically looking for a career. Are you? If not, there are plenty of fascinating courses you can take (online or in person) without leading to a career in the field.

OBnursemom

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 8:35 pm
You sound like you’d be interested in research. Maybe see what the requirements are to be a lab assistant.

enjoying kids

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 8:44 pm
How about teaching science?

OBnursemom

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 8:46 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
You sound like you’d be interested in research. Maybe see what the requirements are to be a lab assistant.

Alternately go to a community college and take courses in bio or micro or (my personal favorite) anatomy and physiology. The coursework and labs were fascinating.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics