Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o what do you wear on a daily basis?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

livinginflatbus

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 8:33 pm
I’m not into the latest styles but I think I dress pretty classy. For work or nicer occasions I’ll wear dresses or sweater/ top and I have a lot of Belts to go with it ,and straight or flairy skirts in different styles . Usually will wear a sheital but will do local errands in a snood . I have lots of different color shoes and generally wear jewelry. In the summer I love to wear long skirts and tees and occasionally will go makeup free .

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 9:03 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I'd be bored too. That's why I'm fascinated by someone who does it. (I'm assuming it's not strictly due to $$$ but that she probably does spend more per piece than I would, so as to get enduring quality.)

It does get boring sometimes. Then I go shopping. Worn out doesn't always mean in bad condition, it can also be if I'm just sick of the piece. I get something new about every 10-12 weeks or so.

I come from a big family and my mother wanted us to be very independent so she ran each of our closets this way- tops and bottoms all matched each other so you could choose any combination and always look put together even if you were a 4 year old choosing your own clothes. When I was a teenager buying my own clothes it made the most sense financially- I could buy better quality clothing and get a lot of mileage out of them, and its still true. I can buy that $100 top because I know I'll wear it and get my money's worth and then some. I run my kid's closets the same way. It just works.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 9:06 pm
amother wrote:
Summer: old, stretched out, stained polo and black slinky skirt, knee socks, crocs, and chenille snood

Winter: old, stretched out, stained sweatshirt and black slinky skirt, knee socks,crocs, and chenille snood

Shabbos: old robe, knee socks, crocs, and chenille snood

I have a closet with some nicer clothes. I am a stay at home mother. I cannot figure out why, from a psychological standpoint, I dress like this...it bothers me, but if I dress nicer for a day or two, I revert back to my "uniform.". Anyone want to help me figure myself out?

Not knowing what your snood looks like, the state of your skirt, etc. I don't see anything wrong with anything but the tops. Can you wear aprons?

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 10:03 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Not knowing what your snood looks like, the state of your skirt, etc. I don't see anything wrong with anything but the tops. Can you wear aprons?

Skirt is about ten years old, snood about four. Nothing looks very fresh if you know what I mean.

But those clothes just feel so comfortable, I just feel like I can move and sit on the floor with a toddler and nurse a baby and cook and clean bathrooms, which is what I do all day. It's like I'm afraid I'll mess up everything else I have to wear, and these clothes just feel so comfortable for all the messy physical work I do all day. And I'm starting to feel like I don't want to leave my house because I'm stuck in this nanny/cleaning lady mindset. My teens hate it, they ask why other mothers look nice and I don't. I just don't know how anyone else manage all the cchildcare and housework like me, and gets dressed up?

I don't think I'm depressed, although I am definitely not motivated to get dressed nicely. I know this sounds crazy, but I'm also afraid of how much laundry I'll create for myself if I wear nicer stuff! Like, all those tops, skirts, and shells that have to be washed and hung dry - I can just stick my old stuff in the dryer! I have to do two or three loads a day for my whole family, with tons of delicates to hang dry for everyone that wears nice stuff, it's just not worth it to me to create more laundry for myself!

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 10:03 pm
Double.post

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 10:13 pm
amother wrote:
Skirt is about ten years old, snood about four. Nothing looks very fresh if you know what I mean.

But those clothes just feel so comfortable, I just feel like I can move and sit on the floor with a toddler and nurse a baby and cook and clean bathrooms, which is what I do all day. It's like I'm afraid I'll mess up everything else I have to wear, and these clothes just feel so comfortable for all the messy physical work I do all day. And I'm starting to feel like I don't want to leave my house because I'm stuck in this nanny/cleaning lady mindset. My teens hate it, they ask why other mothers look nice and I don't. I just don't know how anyone else manage all the cchildcare and housework like me, and gets dressed up?

I don't think I'm depressed, although I am definitely not motivated to get dressed nicely. I know this sounds crazy, but I'm also afraid of how much laundry I'll create for myself if I wear nicer stuff! Like, all those tops, skirts, and shells that have to be washed and hung dry - I can just stick my old stuff in the dryer! I have to do two or three loads a day for my whole family, with tons of delicates to hang dry for everyone that wears nice stuff, it's just not worth it to me to create more laundry for myself!

I don't want to scare you but I get you. I am doing a lot of laundry for myself. And you know what? It's worth it. Yes, I'm hanging up lots of stuff up but if it's going to go on a hanger anyway, I do it straight out of the washing machine and let it dry and I'm good to go. My clothes are extremely washable, not too light as far as stains go, and not too expensive either if I do ruin something.

And that's great that you can fit into a skirt from 10 years ago Tongue Out

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 10:41 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I don't want to scare you but I get you. I am doing a lot of laundry for myself. And you know what? It's worth it. Yes, I'm hanging up lots of stuff up but if it's going to go on a hanger anyway, I do it straight out of the washing machine and let it dry and I'm good to go. My clothes are extremely washable, not too light as far as stains go, and not too expensive either if I do ruin something.

And that's great that you can fit into a skirt from 10 years ago Tongue Out

Thank you for the encouragement : )

bsy

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 11:00 pm
Summer: long skirt (black, grey or navy), knee socks, crocs or slip on sneakers, cotton long sleeve shell, sleeveless or short sleeve top, snood, necklace, earrings.

Winter: black tights, oxfords or leather boots, short a-line or pleated skirt (black, grey or navy usually), cotton shell or turtleneck, sweater.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 11:03 pm
amother wrote:

I think you should throw out anything stained, stretched out, or otherwise not bakavodig. You don't need to wear impractical, dry clean only clothing, but they should fit well and be stain free. Your job demands that as much as a lawyer's job demands business clothing.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 11:11 pm
My usual is a dress or top and knee length skirt, a fall with a band/cap/beanie or a full wig once in a while, flats, tights in winter/nothing in summer, engagement ring/marriage band, earrings.

My question is does anyone here wear heels/wedges every day?!? And what kind of job do you have that you would wear that for? Because I have seen it and I was like wow these woman have strong backs LOL

DrMom

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 12:14 am
Summer: knee-length comfy knit dress or soft skirt/knit short-sleeved top, sandals, mitpachat, funky jewelry, tinted lip balm, sunglasses 😎.

Winter: Similar to the above, swapping boots for sandals, and long-sleeves for short ones, maybe adding a scarf.

All clothes, and especially shoes, must be comfortable. If I need to choose where to spend, comfortable shoes get priority. I can skimp on clothing costs and disguise it well via accessorizing, but it's worth investing in comfortable, quality shoes.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 12:47 am
amother wrote:
Summer: old, stretched out, stained polo and black slinky skirt, knee socks, crocs, and chenille snood

Winter: old, stretched out, stained sweatshirt and black slinky skirt, knee socks,crocs, and chenille snood

Shabbos: old robe, knee socks, crocs, and chenille snood

I have a closet with some nicer clothes. I am a stay at home mother. I cannot figure out why, from a psychological standpoint, I dress like this...it bothers me, but if I dress nicer for a day or two, I revert back to my "uniform.". Anyone want to help me figure myself out?

You dont need to start wearing hand wash or air dry items around the house!!
Just invest in new comfy clothes. A new polo, a new sweatshirt, a new shabbos robe. New crocs. Try and buy things that dont look too schlumpy.
I think it's important not to look like a schmatte around the house. That means clean, not faded, not stained.
I wear simple long flowy pants around the house, made from colourful thin fabrics, flip flops and a black T shirt.
Outside I wear black dress pants, a nicer top, and quality sandals. Or long flowy skirts and a fitted top.

moonstone

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 1:16 am
I like wearing very casual (but not sloppy) clothes, like jeans and t-shirts, and luckily I can dress like this for work. One advantage to living in Israel! I'd hate to have to get all dressed up every day.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 2:03 am
Gymwear and eye makeup (& occasionally lip stick) pretty much every weekday. Dancing Bounce

Metukah

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 2:50 am
I usually wear a pencil skirt with a t underneath, some of my summer tops don't need a t, or a dress /jumper with a t, tights, wedge/very small heel shoes, full make up and a sheitel.

Unless I'm not leaving the house and spending the day on the kitchen or doing housework, I'm always smartly dressed.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 7:45 am
Anything still stained after a couple wash gets thrown out. Holes, fix them or throw them.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 8:18 am
amother wrote:
I think you should throw out anything stained, stretched out, or otherwise not bakavodig. You don't need to wear impractical, dry clean only clothing, but they should fit well and be stain free. Your job demands that as much as a lawyer's job demands business clothing.

This.
Now of course, some people would say that slinky skirts and knee highs aren't bekavodik. But we're not some people Very Happy

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 8:25 am
DrMom wrote:
Summer: knee-length comfy knit dress or soft skirt/knit short-sleeved top, sandals, mitpachat, funky jewelry, tinted lip balm, sunglasses 😎.

Winter: Similar to the above, swapping boots for sandals, and long-sleeves for short ones, maybe adding a scarf.

All clothes, and especially shoes, must be comfortable. If I need to choose where to spend, comfortable shoes get priority. I can skimp on clothing costs and disguise it well via accessorizing, but it's worth investing in comfortable, quality shoes.

How do you fit all that hair in the mitpachat? Wink

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 8:25 am
moonstone wrote:
I like wearing very casual (but not sloppy) clothes, like jeans and t-shirts, and luckily I can dress like this for work. One advantage to living in Israel! I'd hate to have to get all dressed up every day.

^^ This!
I live in a small community in Israel that's quite tolerant in terms of dress, and good so. The Lakewood thread made me just glad that I don't live there. But I realize that other people may tick differently.

My favorites: Ankle length flowing cotton skirts in dark colors, with or without pattern.
Shirts with 3/4 arms, with or without patterns, matching the skirt.
Tichels/scarves - I'm a bit obsessed with them and own far too many (more than 100)
Sandals, unless it's really mid-winter, in that case boots
Earrings, almost always
Necklaces - from tiny to clunky, often but not every weekday. Almost always on Shabbat.
On most days, eye liner, eye brow pencil, bronzing powder

Hm, on a second thought, I'll go amother color for this, don't want to be identified too easily Whistling

DrMom

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 9:07 am
PinkFridge wrote:
How do you fit all that hair in the mitpachat? Wink

LOL
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics