Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Would you let someone else nurse your baby?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Rappel

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 7:05 am
Yes/no, and why?

Teomima

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 7:26 am
This doesn't address your question directly, but as someone who has always struggled with my supply, I've often wondered if I would give my child donated breastmilk, instead of just supplementing with formula. What I decided was, breastmilk or formula, what matters most is the relationship I have with my baby, holding her close as I feed her, making eye contact, talking to her, letting her smell me, etc...
...but all those things would be lost should someone else be nursing her, so I don't think I'd be terribly comfortable with that. But I guess it depends on the circumstances.

happyone

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 7:30 am
When I sat Shiva I let someone breastfeed my baby that was miserable from my dwindling milk supply, and uncomfortable from the formula offered . Had I not been in such a vulnerable state I probably would not have been comfortable.

mandksima

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 7:39 am
I wouldn't mind donated breastmilk from a frum lady but I'd rather feed my baby myself.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 7:54 am
My sisters and I have on rare occasions nurses each other's babies. For example, on shabbos when we can't call someone to come back and their baby woke up much sooner than expected and is screaming.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:00 am
No. Just no.

I know that there is/was such a thing as wet nurses, and I know there's nothing se-ual about a woman nursing a baby but no. Nobody's breast is going into my baby's mouth except mine.

Donated breastmilk I'd be okay with.

Debbie

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:02 am
Years ago when I had my first baby I was determined that she was going to be breastfed for at least 2 years,but Hashem had other plans and I had to put her onto formula after two weeks due to extreme weight loss and near dehydration.
Once a friend offered to breast feed her for me but it would have broken my heart to see another lady doing for my baby what I had failed to do.
At least by giving her bottles I could still hold her in my own arms and enjoy that closeness.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:06 am
I once sent my baby to a babysitter with a bottle of EBM. She said he wouldn't take the bottle so she nursed him. To me it felt gross. She should have at least asked me what to do.

mmesti

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:07 am
groovy1224 wrote:
No. Just no.

INobody's breast is going into my baby's mouth except mine.

Donated breastmilk I'd be okay with.

This.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:21 am
I am coming from the other side. I bH seem to have very rich milk and my babies grow fat on it. I have been approached a number of times by women who can't nurse for whatever reason and asked if I would express for them. The problem is that I cannot express! It doesn't work!

One woman was so desperate that she asked if I would nurse her baby. That was so hard for me. Honestly, the whole idea disgusted me somehow but on the other hand, she was telling me he was dehydrating and throwing up the formula and it was pikuach nefesh.

What would you have done?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:27 am
I would, if it was needed or normal around me. I'm not 100% against, not very comfy either. My FIL zal had a wetnurse. FTR if you read Rashi, you'll find that the nurse doesn't have to keep kosher though obviously there's always "better". (source, Mother and children, Elisheva Baumgarten). It is very easy to get a heter for non kosher (not "non CY", not "non hechshered") formula for a baby. I read from a Litvish gadol that if the doctor prescribes, xxx formula, which has chametz and pork enzym, then you can use it on Pessach. Of course it's a shaila, but whatever you do, health first, especially babies!!

ggdm

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:48 am
It would be so nice to take turns at night - theoretically. One night you can sleep through, the other you nurse. But I wouldn't feel comfortable in reality if someone else nursed my baby. I would be so jealous. Which I guess is silly. About nursing a different baby... maybe once in an emergency, but not regularly.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:49 am
The one who broght us Torah ShbCtav Moshe

The one who brought us Torah Sh Baal Peh Rebbi HaKodesh both nursed from other women

Good enough for me

Zeleze

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:51 am
Humm. not really, only if would be a must without other options.

Don't know why not, just seems gross maybe on my child.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:58 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
The one who broght us Torah ShbCtav Moshe

The one who brought us Torah Sh Baal Peh Rebbi HaKodesh both nursed from other women

Good enough for me

Moshe Rabbeinu only nursed from his mother. He refused the Egyptian women.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 9:00 am
Never ever ewwww. This is Just plain disgusting....
Donated milk I wouldn't give because you can never know the cleanliness of the women donating.

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 9:03 am
I mean, yes, if it was an emergency...

krembo

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 9:10 am
Yes if my baby needed it and I knew and trusted the woman.

I've nursed 2 other women's babies in emergency situations. I also pumped for mothers who had low supply.

simba

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 9:13 am
It would really depend from who. My sister or a close friend I would be fine with if the need arose. Some random person, no way.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 9:24 am
No. Puke
No. Puke
No. Puke

OP curious why you are asking...
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics