Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
2 yo cries when I take him out of crib

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 11:03 am
My 2yo refuses to get out of his crib in the morning (and after nap, but I don't care so much about that). He can stay in his crib for an hour and be happy. He's starting preschool in a month and I don't know what to do.

If I pull him out of his crib, he SCREAMS. He fights me so hard when I change his diaper and clothing, screaming the whole time.

Advice?

Blumy

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 11:20 am
that's so strange. Maybe offer him a toy that he likes if he comes out...maybe he needs more sleep, maybe try to put him to sleep earlier

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 11:22 am
Is he getting enough sleep? A baby this age needs 12 hours overnight

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 11:23 am
He probably just likes his safe, quiet space to play.... eventually he calls for you to take him out, no?

Some kids have a hard time with change in general...

If you’re in a rush and need to change him fast you can give him something exciting to hold to distract him- like your cell phone or something similar

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 12:10 pm
This sounds very unusual. Check sensory processing - maybe he really doesn't like being touched, changed etc

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 12:14 pm
I have to say that’s unusual, but lucky you that he’s happy to play there by himself for that long, I guess.
To prepare for the school transition, can you do something when you take him out that you know he enjoys? When you go in to get him, matter of factly take him out even if he cries and say “let’s go ____ (favorite activity/breakfast/etc).” Maybe after a few days of that he’ll start to associate getting out of his crib with being happy. Make sure whatever you give him is something that you don’t mind keeping up - don’t make it into a bribe with a lollipop or screen time, for example, but just an appropriately fun morning activity that can be part of his routine.

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 12:16 pm
And yes - is that the only time that he’s averse to interaction, etc? If there are other times when he seems to not want stimulation or to be touched, I might want to look into that. If it’s just a morning transitional quirk and he’s otherwise happy, my above post stands.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 4:15 pm
Op here... That's the only time he's averse to touch. He's usually very snuggly. He's not a big eater in the morning so breakfast isn't a draw for him.

He loves cribs and beds in general. He will ask to go into his baby's crib and climb into our beds and pretend to sleep.

After nap time it's also hard to get him out. He could be up for a good half hour in his crib just staring into space or moving around and pretending to sleep in different positions. He's not even playing with toys.

And he does sleep 12 hours at night and 2.5 hours during the day so I don't think he's actually tired. Maybe groggy? I often wake him up or else he'll sleep too late.

But not being able to change his diaper is new. It's been getting worse over the last month (can't think of any change) and today was a disaster. He screamed for 15 minuyes while I forced his diaper and wet pj's off. I could only put on a shirt and new diaper before giving up. He ran around without shorts for half an hour.

mammale

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:26 pm
Could there be power struggles going on?

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:30 pm
Is his development typical otherwise?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:42 pm
Did he hurt his hand, shoulder, foot, etc recently?
Maybe you’re pulling him up and something hurts?

987gold

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 9:40 pm
Blood work? Sounds unusual!

creditcards

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 9:46 pm
Maybe he is tired. What happens if you let him sleep as long as he wants. Will he eventually ask to get up?
My babies have times when they nap for very long and don't cry when they wake up. I let them go as long as they want. But eventually they cry to come out. Some kids need more sleep.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 6:36 am
Thats very very odd, Is he afraid of you?

animeme

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 7:23 am
Once you pull him out and change him, how is he when you out him on the floor and let him be? My dc once started screaming whenever I pulled him out of his crib or high chair and often when I picked him up. It turned out he had hurt a muscle in his side.

Or, sensory is a real possibility. If he likes beds and snuggles, try to do some gentle massage on his arms and legs and possibly forehead (google baby massage). At some point when you change him and dh (or an older dc? We did that,and dc was 6) is home, have him try the gentle massage while you change ds. It worked wonders for us. You can also try to give ds a small pillow or blankie to hug while being changed, and to take with him out of the crib when he comes out as a transitional object.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 7:33 am
creditcards wrote:
Maybe he is tired. What happens if you let him sleep as long as he wants. Will he eventually ask to get up?
My babies have times when they nap for very long and don't cry when they wake up. I let them go as long as they want. But eventually they cry to come out. Some kids need more sleep.

How about on Shabbos or Sunday, when (possibly) he is able to wake himself? Does he cry then too?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers