Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning lady from 10 am to 2 pm need to provide lunch?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Do I have to provide lunch for my cleaning lady is she is by me for 4 hours a day? (4 hours by someone else that day)
yes  
 61%  [ 96 ]
no  
 38%  [ 61 ]
Total Votes : 157

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 11:52 pm
Leriem wrote:
I don’t wonder why, it’s Because she’s suckering you,. Not feeding a four-hour worker a meal is not “mistreating.”

Once upon a time there was a nice amount of respect for women who did jobs that basically the 'lady of the house' didn't want to do... and part of that respect included lunch.

No one is being suckered out of meal. They are carrying on a tradition that has been around for decades.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:34 am
amother wrote:
Once upon a time there was a nice amount of respect for women who did jobs that basically the 'lady of the house' didn't want to do... and part of that respect included lunch.

No one is being suckered out of meal. They are carrying on a tradition that has been around for decades.

Rolling Eyes

Do you feed your house painter if he does a 4-hour job over lunch? ... How about your gardener if he mows your lawn from 12:30-1? He's probably been working all morning at others and will likely continue to work. ... Do you send your kids to school with an extra sandwich for the rebbi who teaches them from 9-1?

You do not HAVE to feed your cleaning lady LUNCH (I.e. a meal) for a 4-hr workday. You can if you want to because YOU are nice, but not because she DESERVES it...because she doesn't. Not for 4 hours. She better have eaten breakfast. Lunch is her issue.

However...if you share her with a family in such a way that she has no time for lunch, or you basically are both her employers for an 8-hour day that happens to be split, then yeah...you or the other friend have to give her lunch. You/friend do NOT need to give her supper.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:49 am
amother wrote:
Rolling Eyes

Do you feed your house painter if he does a 4-hour job over lunch? ... How about your gardener if he mows your lawn from 12:30-1? He's probably been working all morning at others and will likely continue to work. ... Do you send your kids to school with an extra sandwich for the rebbi who teaches them from 9-1?

You do not HAVE to feed your cleaning lady LUNCH (I.e. a meal) for a 4-hr workday. You can if you want to because YOU are nice, but not because she DESERVES it...because she doesn't. Not for 4 hours. She better have eaten breakfast. Lunch is her issue.

However...if you share her with a family in such a way that she has no time for lunch, or you basically are both her employers for an 8-hour day that happens to be split, then yeah...you or the other friend have to give her lunch. You/friend do NOT need to give her supper.

Did I say anything about HAVING to do anything.

I'm reacting to Leriem's comment that the cleaning lady is 'suckering you'. Blech.

No one NEEDS to give their cleaning lady lunch.

But if you HOLD that you give a cleaning lady lunch - its a reasonable question to ask - is this only if she works a full day?

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 6:03 am
I agree the fair thing is to have her eat lunch at 2, or 1.50, so it cuts into both your hours. (I have no idea how long it takes her to eat lunch)

Or alternate, one week you give lunch, the net week your friend.

Most employers don't actually provide lunch btw. Some big companies do but many others don't.

People who work outside the house - who is provided lunch by your employer?

I guess its a nice perk if you have reason to want to keep her.

My cleaning lady actually prefers eating at home.

Sadie

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 6:28 am
Why is everyone operating under the assumption that whatever perks a cleaning lady gets, they necessarily have to be less than the perks the employer gets at her own job? Like the people who are saying, “I don’t get a paid break” or, “no one makes lunch for me” as if that had anything to do with what the customs and expectations for a cleaning lady are.

You’re hiring someone to do a job that you either can’t or don’t want to do. Maybe that person’s labor is actually MORE valuable and in demand than yours and therefor they have the ability to make demands that you can’t make at your job.

When I was in college I rented a house with a friend and we had a cleaning lady come once every other week. I was working part time as a personal assistant for $10 an hour and my friend was working in a makeup store for $12 an hour. We paid our cleaning lady $20 an hour (yes that was the going rate where I lived in the Bay Area, CA around 2006). She worked harder than we did and her labor was more valuable than ours was.

My mom has employed a cleaning lady who has worked for her as long as I can remember. Since I’m 35 she must be with my mom for 30 years or more. If you treat someone with consideration and respect you tend to get it back, remember that when you’re worried that your neighbor is going to “steal” your cleaning lady before Pesach.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 6:29 am
amother wrote:
Rolling Eyes

A cleaning lady is not a painter. You don't expect her to be a one time employee. You want her to work at YOUR convinience, as many days as YOU need, as many hours as YOU want. Gd forbid she's late or have an emergency or ask for a raise because that would be a problem for YOU.

I honestly wish you all got a call today from your cleaning ladies saying they are sick and tired of you and your messy house. Let's see if you wouldn't cry and start posting here, ask everywhere and pray to find a cleaning lady asap. I'm sure you'd pay whatever they're asking and provide snacks without hesitation.

You mistreat these people but can't live without them.

abound

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 6:34 am
I offer, other than making herself coffee, or a drink of water. she does not take any food. If she would ask me again I would be happy to give her something,
I still make sure to offer her something periodically so that she knows if she wants she can have some food. It is not a big deal for me,

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 6:44 am
amother wrote:
Rolling Eyes

When we were moving, the movers spent the day with us because the packing up of the truck and unpacking at the new place took all day. I preferred that they took lunch at my home, so we could get to the finish line, instead of them going out while half our items were still in their truck. You bet your bottom dollar I brought home a pie of hot pizza and of cans of cold soda so they could enjoy a good lunch midday.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 6:44 am
abound wrote:
I offer, other than making herself coffee, or a drink of water. she does not take any food. If she would ask me again I would be happy to give her something,
I still make sure to offer her something periodically so that she knows if she wants she can have some food. It is not a big deal for me,

You're doing it right. Guilt-free.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 7:40 am
Leriem wrote:
Not to mention that most are here illegally and do not pay taxes!
It seems from all of your posts so far, you have a lot of anger towards a lot of many different types of people.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 7:47 am
ra_mom wrote:
When we were moving, the movers spent the day with us because the packing up of the truck and unpacking at the new place took all day. I preferred that they took lunch at my home, so we could get to the finish line, instead of them going out while half our items were still in their truck. You bet your bottom dollar I brought home a pie of hot pizza and of cans of cold soda so they could enjoy a good lunch midday.

Was about to say this. When we moved, I bought the movers both a hot lunch and hot dinner. And I tipped them well. These men were doing back breaking labor in 90 degree weather. Show some respect.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 7:49 am
ra_mom wrote:

Great idea!

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 7:52 am
This might sound weird. But I’d never want someone making me lunch. Why would my cleaning lady want to eat random food that I choose to make her? I’ve told her she can always help herself although I’ve never seen her do it. And as I wrote earlier I periodically give her cake/cookies or whatever, which she always takes. She’s a young college student and I just can’t imagine her being interested in eating a sandwich I made. I could be wrong.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 7:55 am
amother wrote:
This might sound weird. But I’d never want someone making me lunch. Why would my cleaning lady want to eat random food that I choose to make her? I’ve told her she can always help herself although I’ve never seen her do it. And as I wrote earlier I periodically give her cake/cookies or whatever, which she always takes. She’s a young college student and I just can’t imagine her being interested in eating a sandwich I made. I could be wrong.

I started off making sandwiches. I saw she didn't eat much of them, though she devoured all pastries and enjoyed taking home the yogurts and fruits. Then one day I asked if she liked pizza and her face lit up. I ask her in the mornings if that's what she'd like for lunch, and then I leave her the additional snacks too.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 9:48 am
I always have food available - either frozen or bread and cheese or cold cuts of some kind.

I tell her to help herself to any drinks, fruit, baked goods or snack type of stuff that she wants.

I tell her that if she is hungry, to help herself. If I am home when she is cleaning and I am eating, I would offer her the same. When she has helped me with major stuff where she stays the whole day, I often get takeout for both of us because it's easier.

If I can afford a cleaning lady, I can certainly afford the extra dollar or so for her food. I hate breaking in a new cleaning lady - teaching her how to do things; showing her around and MOST importantly - someone I can trust when I am not there. My cleaning lady is so honest that I have absolutely no concern about leaving any valuables around - not that I am testing her but I certainly would have to be worried with a new cleaning lady.

There are some cleaning services which provide cleaners and my attitude would probably be different because it would be a completely business arrangement - but I would also have to stay home with them and also supervise carefully while they did everything to make sure it was done properly.

Really how much does it actually cost to provide some food and it goes a LONG way in making it a mutually considerate relationship. People who work in the home are not the same as people who work in an office but even outside there are certain norms one follows - one tips a hairdresser or manicurist - one tips someone who shleps your groceries home.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 11:19 am
Raisin wrote:
I agree the fair thing is to have her eat lunch at 2, or 1.50, so it cuts into both your hours. (I have no idea how long it takes her to eat lunch)

Or alternate, one week you give lunch, the net week your friend.

Most employers don't actually provide lunch btw. Some big companies do but many others don't.

People who work outside the house - who is provided lunch by your employer?

I guess its a nice perk if you have reason to want to keep her.

My cleaning lady actually prefers eating at home.

My guess is that if OP talks to the woman, she'll find out that the cleaning woman takes 45 minutes or so between jobs, eats lunch then, and has no desire to eat at OP's house. That's why OP should ASK.

And while most employers don't provide lunch, they do allow employees to eat in a lunchroom, at at their desks. Here, we're all working on the assumption that OP doesn't want her cleaning woman to eat treyf in her house.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 11:24 am
amother wrote:
You don't need to provide a meal for just 4 hours of cleaning!!! A fruit, yogurt, or snack is fine. We don't need to wait on them hand & foot!!! We give them way more respect than they deserve, they do get paid after all!

EVERYONE is deserving of respect. Well, almost everyone. Not nasty folks.

I guess I'm fortunate. My boss pays me, and he also respects me. I would hate to think I'm not worthy of respect because I get paid.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:02 pm
Sixofwands, I did not say they don't deserve respect, everyone deserves respect. I said that we give them way more respect than they deserve.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:14 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
EVERYONE is deserving of respect. Well, almost everyone. Not nasty folks.

I guess I'm fortunate. My boss pays me, and he also respects me. I would hate to think I'm not worthy of respect because I get paid.

He prepares cake and coffee for your midmorning snack? He makes you lunch?

WhatFor

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:
Sixofwands, I did not say they don't deserve respect, everyone deserves respect. I said that we give them way more respect than they deserve.

Unless you're referring to people curtseying/bowing to their cleaning help, or something similar, what does this even mean? Why do you think that people who clean houses deserve less respect than they receive? What are you saying?
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry