Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning lady from 10 am to 2 pm need to provide lunch?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Do I have to provide lunch for my cleaning lady is she is by me for 4 hours a day? (4 hours by someone else that day)
yes  
 61%  [ 96 ]
no  
 38%  [ 61 ]
Total Votes : 157

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:
Sixofwands, I did not say they don't deserve respect, everyone deserves respect. I said that we give them way more respect than they deserve.

Who are "they"? Are cleaning people some unified group who all act in the same manner? And what type of respect are "they" entitled to? Who are "we" for that manner?

I give people the respect they deserve. Whether they collect garbage or perform open heart surgery.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:17 pm
By they I mean the cleaning ladies obviously, & you know it. And yes they are a unified group.
Again, I didn't say we don't give them the respect they deserve, I said they get more respect than they deserve. I'm just about saying the same thing you're saying, you're just twisting my words around.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:25 pm
I've heard of cleaning help wanting a full cooked meal for lunch. I would have no problem providing food that my help might want to eat. (cheese, chummus, tuna, bread etc) But not having to cook a full meal. If I had time to cook a meal I would have time to clean my house. Usually when my cleaning lady is in my house I am working just as hard as her. (tidying, cooking, office work, childcare...)

Obviously at supper time when I am cooking anyway it is less of an issue. But my cleaning lady is by my house in the evening and doesn't want to eat in my house. She would much rather go home and eat there. (as would I)

I think cleaning is a very important job. more important then a fashion photographer or interior designer. Unfortunately, the more important the job, the less people tend to get paid.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:47 pm
amother wrote:
He prepares cake and coffee for your midmorning snack? He makes you lunch?

My company used to send us annual reminders of all the benefits we got on top of our pay. Reminded us how good we had it (so we shouldn't be convinced to leave to a competitor).

They didn't list out the free coffee.

They did list out the insurance, fitness programs, paid leave...

I can't offer that those to keep a cleaning lady happy. I can offer lunch. I respect her loyalty to me.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:49 pm
amother wrote:
By they I mean the cleaning ladies obviously, & you know it. And yes they are a unified group.
Again, I didn't say we don't give them the respect they deserve, I said they get more respect than they deserve. I'm just about saying the same thing you're saying, you're just twisting my words around.

What is it exactly that entitles you to more respect than your cleaner?

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:

No they are not a unified group any more than the people who hire cleaning ladies are.

das

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:55 pm
Some of these responses are...no words.

I give my housekeeper a full lunch plus fruit, a snack bag and cookies/cake. It might be excessive but when someone is leaving her children for hours to do physical labor in my home the least I can do is make sure she's well fed.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 2:02 pm
Oliveoil, where do you see me saying that I deserve more respect than my cleaning lady?!?!?!?!?

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 2:04 pm
I feel like some of these posters should be very weary if their help shows up to work one day with a gift of a fudge pie for them...

simcha2

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 2:59 pm
watergirl wrote:
I feel like some of these posters should be very weary if their help shows up to work one day with a gift of a fudge pie for them...

Two slices of pie...

Aylat

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 3:31 pm
watergirl wrote:

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 4:45 pm
I dont know where else she works and don't worry about it, I never provided food for anyone, and my ladies love me because I'm nice and pay on time

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 6:52 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Then I guess you're not paying payroll taxes either and saving just the same.

She's an independent contractor. OP is not obligated to pay payroll taxes.

octopus

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 9:00 pm
When I had cleaning help for 4 hours, I gave her food to go. If she wanted to sit and eat at my house I would have been okay with that, but she wanted to go and she was grateful for the food to eat on the bus ride home. It is a pain preparing food, but I don't want anybody bringing in their treif food into my home. People have to eat.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 9:44 pm
Raisin wrote:
I've heard of cleaning help wanting a full cooked meal for lunch.

I don't believe this. People lie.

creditcards

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 9:52 pm
I don't prepare food because if I did then what's the point of exchanging one type of work for another. My cleaning ladies look around and see what I have in the house and ask me if they can take. I don't have much food but she sometimes ask for a yogurt, snack, banana. I'm not good at preparing food for myself either. I let her take whatever she sees and is in the mood of. She hardly eats by me.
My cleaning likes me because I don't criticize her work ever I let her do most things the way she likes.
I let her know that I'm happy with her work. I pay her on time. And I don't rush her to work faster than she can...

creditcards

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 10:15 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
EVERYONE is deserving of respect. Well, almost everyone. Not nasty folks.

I guess I'm fortunate. My boss pays me, and he also respects me. I would hate to think I'm not worthy of respect because I get paid.

In my eyes respect means acting nicely, complimenting their work. And I also DON'T give work that I wouldn't want to do myself. She is here just because of my lack of energy and can't do it all myself.
I treat her like a human person with feelings careful not to insult her. Giving food is not part of that defenition. I let her help herself with whatever she sees but for me to prepare meals is to much of a chore for me and I'm not up to hosting them.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 10:42 pm

You will be "weary" if your help doesn't show up! lol

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 10:43 pm
Leriem wrote:
Huh?! And maybe a bed too, so she can take a nap?

Hmmm. Shiaeisen's alter ego by any chance?

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 10:55 pm
Why do people use such extreme examples?

Absent extenuating circumstances, I don't think anyone is suggesting you need to cook a hot full course meal for your cleaning woman. That's insane and if a cleaning woman suggested it, I wouldn't comply. If it were my full time housekeeper that would be different - but then I would assume she would be the one who was heating a meal or whatever.

The issue is whether you begrudge your cleaning woman food to eat from what is available. Frozen food of some kind that is heated in the microwave or toaster oven; a can of soup; fruit, drinks, snacks or whatever. Again, I don't think one expects the cleaning woman to nosh full time in lieu of cleaning :-) but my cleaning woman is welcome to snacks and drinks and I always make it a point to have something available that is easy to prepare and I specifically tell her that I have sandwich fixings; or I made tuna or egg salad or there is frozen pizza or whatever.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry