Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
I'm going to write about my mommy camp on a budget
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 5:48 pm
Okay,

So I'll put a little information in the paragraph below, just so that you get to know me a little before I begin. Although I'm in a European country, I'll do my best to reference American terms where possible (I know how much the world revolves around the US moms on here). This forum will be anonymous in case I write anything I will later come to regret.

So let's begin. I'm a working mom to two babies. A 1.5 year old and a very nearly 4 year old. I work full time as does my husband and since I work in the education sector, I'm able to take the full 6 weeks off work to coincide with my kid's summer vacation. ('Hah. 6 weeks,' I hear you say. 'You ought to try 10!')

Of course since we're on a tight budget we can't afford to send our kids to camps, and since my husband is working through the summer, vacationing is out too. But I also choose to keep my kids home. There is something magical for me to be able to spend all day, every day alone with my brood. It tests me in every way possible and I get to know and love my babies more than ever before (crazy, I know). It has it's challenges don't get me wrong, I've been there before, but sending them out to camps when they're out all year round bothers me too much. And it bothers my wallet too. So here we are.

Oh, did I mention I'm in the 3rd trimester of my most difficult pregnancy yet?

Here it comes:

Day 1 'the calm before the storm.'
It was a Sunday which meant my husband was home too. It also meant it wasn't a tiring day and was quite pleasant in fact, yay! Its probably important to mention we have been having extremely hot weather which is unusual for our location, but this day was quite mild. We started our day with brunch at a local cafe. (A buffet breakfast which cost our entire family of 4 just $27 and included eggs, bagels, toasts, hot chocolates, coffee, tea, yogurts, salads, lots of desserts and more.) Then we were off to our nephews birthday party in the afternoon and some family visits before bed. Very tame it was indeed. Bring on Monday!
(Money spent other than groceries $27)

Day 2, 'Here comes the sun'
Monday. It started so well. A nice cozy breakfast indoors (we don't have a yard) followed by a spot of housekeeping while the kids played, AND the sun was still low enough not to force us outdoors. Then the toddler needed his nap and the almost 4 year old was able to do all her arts and crafts without being disturbed by a small person.

But the sun was gaining heat fast and our apartment was starting to resemble a sauna. Did I mention we have no AC? Well, we have no AC. So we had a very quick lunch and rushed outside to the park next to our house. They have a free kids club at the park with little activities of sand, water play, art, moddeling and some other activities. There are only 2 club rules: switch off your phones-fine, and watch your own kids-should be fine, said my optimistic self.

The toddler was desperate to play outside in the scorching heat with the sand, the 4 year old wasn't interested and went straight indoors. I was rapidly swelling like a balloon in the heat and thinking how I could possibly convince one of them to follow the other. Whatever I tried did not work so I found myself rushing between the two of them and ensuring the staff that all was under control and I could see both of my kids at once. No really, I can!!! I promised. After 60 minutes of huffing, puffing and insane swelling of my arms and legs, I pulled them both into the baby area, locked the gate and sat on the floor. 'Mommy I'm not allowed in this section,' little miss 4 informed me. 'Well today, you will sit in here and play. Crouch down low so we don't get spotted!'. Yup. I really said that! I will not discuss the hysterical process my toddler exposed me to when I had to use the ladies. Suffice to say it was time for us to leave, and nobody at the club was sad to see us go.

On the way out of the park there was an ice cream truck who's occupant was happily handing out sticky treats to all the children in the line. Yay!!! Not kosher ice cream in full view of my two non-understanding children. 'We have yummy homemade ice cream at home, remember?' I tell my first born, whilst trying desperately to block the view of all the milky yumminess dropping from people's cones from the toddler. She was agreeable. This time. (Phew).

At this point I was so swollen and hot, I just wanted a cold shower. It was almost 5pm. My husband works till 6. I call him up and say, 'I'm melting. Any chance you can get home like 10 minutes ago?' He laughed. 30 minutes later he pulls up to find me sweating over the stove whilst my angels pulled every utensil and pan from the cupboards. I don't remember if I greeted him or not. All I remember is rushing to the bathroom, locking the door and jumping into a cold bath. Alone! Bliss Smile
(Money spent: $0-well done us!)

Day 3 'The phone call'

Tuesday: In retrospect I should've seen it coming. I don't see my friends for months at a time so when we all have time off we tend to get together. My kids are at an age where they are happiest at a local park as long as there are swings, slides, sand and unlimited time. My friend's all have kids who are a couple years older and I can see the difference when it comes to entertainment.

Friend: 'So we are heading out to a pick your own fruit and vegetable place today, will you join us?' Umm... how far away is this place? And also, I refuse to leave my house before my little monkey has had a good nap. And also, is it expensive? And will it be hot today? (What a bundle of fun I am, don't you see why my friends are lining up to hang out with me? Wink )

After plenty of reassurance about the weather (it's forecast to be a mild cloudy day), the journey (30 minutes max), and price (You only pay for what you pick, no entrance fee), I agree to join her AFTER the baby wakes up. I'll meet you there, I say. We bundle into the car very excited indeed. 'I'm gonna pick zaberries' (raspberries) miss 4 says. Yes you will.

I inform friend when we arrive and am instructed to meet her at the field of corn. We're on our way! But first we pass acres of strawberries which we just have to pick. Toddler decides that he is happiest picking up other people's discarded squashed fruit from the floor, rather than the tantalizingly perfect fruit dangling close to his eyes. I will just ditch his basket at the exit, I say to myself. After the berries we pass lots of beans, onions, zucchini and more, all of which little miss 4 just HAS to have. So we bend and pick, and pluck and.... sweat. Hey!! Where did the sun come from? Yep, here she is in all her glory shining heat and sun on us all, and is expertly moulding me into her finest piece of art yet. A very red, very hot, swollen balloon. So much for the weather, I think. Oh well, at least the kids are having a lovely time.

After about 2 hours of trudging with a stroller through uneven ground with no shelter from the sun, we finally reach the corn field. 'What was that?' I ask my 4 year old, and she says the age old quote which causes parents around the world in the middle of nowhere to panic. Oh yes, she needs the rest room, and not a quick stop either, the full Monty. We rush to the edge of the field into the trees... And prickles, ouch! Grab child with baby wipes, dangle her awkwardly into position with sweat quite literally dripping off my brow and nose, and then toddler decides to join us. Head first. Into the prickles. Oh the screams. And I kid you not, that is exactly how we are found 3 seconds later by our lovely friend. Any attempt at a dignified greeting was out the window. Very far out the window.

After a quick recovery, we decide to pick some corn, after all what are we here for? Since the corn ears are very high, friend watches the two toddlers whilst I take the eldest lot into the thick of it all. He is sat happily in his stroller munching cucumber and Apple slices. I'm pretty sure he won't notice my absence, so I dash off without telling him. Just as we reach all the bounty and are starting to pick, I hear the undeniable sound of my toddler in distress. Real distress. Uh oh. Quick! I order the biggest kids. Grab what you can and run after me. They all pluck and twist their corn and then hurtle after me through the minute path. Its amazing how fast I can run considering my size.

What greets me is a shrieking toddler and a friend that looks like a 'soon to be not' friend who's holding him and looking very teary eyes indeed. What happened??? 'I think he was stung by a bee', she stammers, 'something flew on his apple and then he started screaming, he won't stop!' But his tears disappear as soon as I hold him and he states with a shudder, 'spider!' Oh, did I forget to mention he has a bizaare fear of flies? At least no bee sting today.

I know we've only done the corn field together but the whole thing has taken another hour and I decide the time has come to get home. We wobble off with our bounty end end up paying the grand price of $8.40c after we expertly ditch little Mr's basket of mush. Although this trip may have just cost us a friendship too, oh well.

Of course I call my husband from the car even though it's only 5.15 and he works till 6. 'We had a lovely time this afternoon. I'm so hot and sweaty, I'm huge, the sun showed up even though she said she wouldn't and I think we lost a good friend. Could you come home now? Like really now?'

Later that evening my phone rings. Another friend. You want to go out tomorrow with the kids? How about we wait till the evening when they're all asleep and the sun has gone. We can do a movie night just for adults, bring the popcorn!

I'm getting good at this you see?
(Total spending after gas $8.40c. Smile )

Day 4 'the shopping mall with sister in tow'

Wednesday: for those of you with toddlers, you'll be well aware that a shopping mall isn't the best of places to hang out. However, there aren't many places in my town which have air conditioning. And child of almost 4 had outgrown her shoes. On the flip side, my sister (who's been working abroad) returned home yesterday, and was desperate to hang out with my munchkins. Even at the mall. (I'm sure in hindsight she regrets her haste, but I accepted her offer more than gracefully).

After lunch we headed over to collect her. My biggest person couldn't contain her excitement to see her aunt and almost wriggled herself right out of her car seat. On route, we tried our best to catch up with each other but big girl 4 wasn't having any of it. 'Auuunty! Look how big my toe is! Aaaaaaunty, do you know who my new friend is? Aunty!!!!' Etc. You get the picture. Funnily enough when we paused our conversations to allow my eldest to have her say, she ran out of words instantly.

At the mall we headed straight to the children's shoe department. As you have possibly gathered, I'm not one to spend money on items we don't need. My kids however, have a different view. Toddler found an enormous toy rabbit and before we knew it, was dragging it along with his proud little self to the shoe section. 'Give that to m..' 'MINE!' He interrupted. We picked a ticket with a number (even though there was no-one else in sight) to ensure we were next to be served. Then we browsed the shoe section. I picked out all the durable, leather made and rather cute shoes for my girl. She picked out all the flimsy sandals with pink and glitter. And... Oh wait? What's that? My sister had also collected a bunch of her favourite kid's shoes. I wasn't banking on a third opinion here Smile but all was good because do you know what shoe sections ALWAYS have in stores? Comfy chairs!! So long as I was seated, all was grand.

Eventually a saleslady came, measured my child's feet and we began to try on a variety of shoes. But toddler man was getting bored so I suggested to sister to let him browse shoes for fun and try them on. When we're home he loves nothing more than to try on shoes 11 times his size. But here, he miraculously found himself a pair of shoes which were a perfect size for him (Or was it his aunt?). He marched over to me beaming with pride and stamping his adorable trainer adorned feet. And each time he banged, the little lights on his shoes lit up and he squealed in baby delight. 'Hey!' Protested sister. 'Could I have shoes with lights too?' Believe me my darling, he's not leaving the store with them, I reassured her.

Eventually we left the shoe department (sans the trainers which light up and the enormous rabbit which we neglected at the shoe section) and followed my sister round to purchase a few essentials. Then we stopped off for a drink and snack. My almost 4 year old thought that the yummy cakes in the coffee shop were most definately necessary, but we somehow managed to fob them both off with a banana AND a hot chocolate. Mmmmm. Coffee time for mommy and aunty. I nipped off for a restroom break and when I returned my sister was at the entrance to the coffee shop. 'Could you get me a wad of napkins,' she asked, 'We will need some.' I totally misunderstood and assured her we had plenty in the stroller, whilst strapping in my squirming toddler and explaining to my biggest why she has to walk. But as we left the cafe, I turn around just in time to see hot chocolate dripping steadily off the counter my children had just vacated. Oops! I'm sorry to all of the super mommies out there who would've shown a better example to their children, but I did not turn around and mop up The mess. I pretended I'd seen nothing and watched sheepishly as a Barista attended to my kid's mess. Apologies!

Eventually the kids started grumbling but we still had a few purchases to make. 'How about I take him and you take her?' She suggested. 'You sure?' I was uncertain. We split up and it was fantastic. Me and my girl had a lovely time chatting and shopping (And eating chips! Surprised). After 45 minutes she calls sounding desperate. 'Where are you??' I Chuckle. Welcome to my world, oh innocent one. She looks quite frazzled when we meet. 'He doesn't stop running. Away from me. He will go anywhere I don't want him to be. Like, the escalators, the burger shop, why don't they want to be in the retail department?'
'It doesn't taste nice there,' I explain.

We head back to the car. I'm feeling quite calm and satisfied. My sister looks exhausted. She buckles up. 'I honestly don't know how you do this.' She states. This? Oh this was a great day for me, thanks to you. But I concure, 'I sometimes wonder myself, but then I look at their faces and I just know.'
(Money spent: $85-eek!)

Day 5 'Time off work'

Thursday: My husband informed me this morning that he will be free for a few hours in the afternoon. That means only 1 thing: swimming!

You see, whilst I had one child I was able to take her swimming myself quite regularly. Now that her brother joined the scene, I need the extra help in the pool. And eldest had been asking me to take her for a swim every day this past week.

Our local leisure centre has 3 pools. An adult one, which is connected to the kiddie pool, and a training pool. The best pool for my kids would be the kiddie pool as the water is still deep enough for a swim, there are splash showers, activities and tons of toys. It also means that my husband and I could take turns using the adult pool for a swim, and keep an eye out if the other parent needs support. The training pool is a large pool which isn't quite deep enough for an adult to submerge. It's very busy as children from age 5-teens practice there daily.

So I checked the leisure centre's time schedule and was delighted to find all pools open until at least 4 in the afternoon. My husband appeared at 1, and we headed off through the park. It. Was. Boiling. But it was okay, because I knew in a few minutes I'd be plunging into cold water (aaah!). We could've driven there and avoided the 15 minute walk of induced swelling, but there is no parking at the centre, so walk we did. By the time we arrived, even my husband looked soaked with sweat. (My kids however, looked cool as cucumbers. What is it with their ability to regulate body temperatures so well?)

'Sorry,' said the clerk. 'The kiddie pool closes at 2. We can't let you in now, if you like you can use the training pool.' Now firstly he didn't look sorry at all. And secondly, what happened to the online schedule I'd checked? 'Oh, it's probably best to call next time. The online schedule isn't always updated.' Aha! Good to know. Oh well, off we trot to the training pool. And MY there are a lot of people already in there.

Okay, you take him and I'll take her, I tell my husband. In I get with a very excited little miss who can't stop bouncing. I find myself in a funny squat position to ensure my waist (or what's left of it) is covered by water. She bounces, she jumps in from the side, she swims under my legs and is absolutely thrilled. I am too, but my legs are beginning to feel the strain in this very strange but necessary position. Let's swap I suggest to my obliging husband. So I take Mr toddler and we practice swimming skills which is tricky in my funny leg squat position. We don't even mind bumping into all the other swimmers because we're so happy to be in cold water.

After 45 minutes my husband notices that Mr toddler's lips are a bit purple. 'Here, let me take him out and shower him whilst you take her and enjoy a bit more swim time. I'll meet you outside the changing rooms in 30 minutes?' Her energy amazes me. She makes me chase her around the pool (I'm still in my funny squatting position which is really beginning to get uncomfortable, but kneeling isn't an option anymore) all the while she's shrieking in delight. After another 30 monutes pass, she's still desperate to stay and my usual convincing isn't working. (That's what happens when you don't take her swimming for so long! I make a mental note in my head.) Eventually I pluck her out whilst she let's everyone in earshot know she's not okay with my decision.

Somehow I manage to carry her to the showers and I even managed to comb her locks as she jerks and wriggles, 'mommmmyyyy!!!! You got water in my eyyyyyes!!!' She screams. Um... did you not just submerge those very same eyes for over an hour? Kid logic. We dress and we leave and little miss 4 has magically calmed down. My dear husband is outside the female changing rooms chasing around our smallest person (so far). 'You've been dressing in there for an hour! What happened??' Oh you know, the usual, trying to wash, dry and dress our daughter whilst trying not to slip on the tiled floor with my huge baby bump. Oh, did I tell you she didnt want to leave the pool? Yeah, that happened too.

As we walk back through the park (and the heat) I'm feeling rather tired and can't wait to feed the littles and put them to sleep. But we run into some company we haven't seen in a while. They want our kiddies to join them in the playground. How do I get out of this one? My wonderful husband gets there first. 'Ooh we would love to but my dear very pregnant wife here is desperate for the ladies room, how about I'll stay a few minutes with them (And you) and she could get home and rest.' Aah that is why I married him. I dash (read wobble) off and quickly prepare supper before they return home.

Not a bad day if I may say so myself!
(Money spent: $8.90 on pool entry)

Day 6 was Friday, the temperatures outside had risen so high that we decided we had to stay indoors with all fans blowing. When little Mr had a nap, me and my biggest baked Challos and did our nails together. By the time the afternoon rolled around, little miss almost 4 was bouncing off the walls so I sent her for a nap too.

Finally Shabbos was close to arrival, and I had two freshly washed children and an apartment that resembled a mildly trashed hotel room. At least the food was ready. My husband arrived home and we put cartoons on for the kids to watch whilst we attempted to clean up ship and set the table. Little miss big girl ended up staying up VERY late because she'd had a snooze earlier, so our usual Friday night romantic meal was changed into an adorable comedy act, but at least Mr toddler kept his religious routine and was sleeping by the time we lit the candles. Shabbat Shalom.
(Extra money spent: $0)

Day 7 was Shabbos and nothing extraordinary occurred. We were very fortunate to have a visiting grandmother who took out our babies to the park for a while as we slept. It didn't last long, but Oh it was bliss.

Day 8 'Girl with a girl'

Sunday: I'm blessed that my husband does not work on Sunday (usually). Over the week, our biggest child was displaying increasingly demanding and difficult behaviour. Possibly because her routine was different, or perhaps because her little brother always dominates conversations and routines. Either way, we decided it was time for a Mommy and daughter day out, whilst daddy and toddler went to the park, shopped, and made supper for everyone. Yay!

Into the car we hopped and we drove out to the country which is an hour away. Madame decided what music we should listen to all the way there, and then decided she wants to learn to play the 'pilano' after finding some nice classical tunes on the radio. We headed for a lovely national space with rolling hills, beautiful views and a cafe. Bonus: the parking was cheap! ($3 a day). We chose some cold drinks at the cafe and sat outside to take in the view and sip our drinks. 'Mommy look at all the kites!' She exclaimed. Indeed there was a huge variety of kite flyers and it looked rather appealing as a sport. 'Should we fly our own?' I suggested. (Disclaimer: I've never flows a kite before so I did not realise how tough it actually was).

We headed into the gift shop and she chose herself a great big kite which resembled an eagle and was priced at $40. I had other plans and asked the saleslady to help us pick the easiest kite to learn to fly. She looked me up and down, noticed my ever growing baby bump, and suggested a very small, very cute, diamond shaped kite. 'You should be okay with this,' she stated. I made a mental note of thanks that the price tag was at $5. Hoorah for an honest saleslady.

Out on the hills we spread out our picnic rug and began opening our small picnic boxes. We munched on rice cakes, oranges and even some very melted chocolate, before we attempted to assemble and fly our kite. Although it was stiflingly hot (is that a word?), there was a small breeze up on the hill. We kicked off our shoes and little miss helped me try to read the instructions on her kite package. It's assembly was easy enough, so I asked big girl to hold the string TIGHTLY whilst I attempted to pull the string far out to catch the wind. It did not work. Like at all!

We switched places and she held the kite up whilst I attempted to run a little to try and catch the wind. Another lovely fail. But give up we did not. We tried. We tried. And we tried again. Finally we had a small victory as our tiny diamond rose into the sky. For all of 6 seconds. And down it came, circling before landing gracefully at our feet. She couldn't stop giggling which was fantastic, because she could've just as easily been crying.

Just as I attempted to try again, I notice her squatting on the mat and she states 'Mommy, please bring me a bag because I need the rest room and I don't think I'll make it.' Say what??? 'Yes, she continues, I'll do it in my underwear and then I'll take off my underwear so I'll be clean.' (How matter of fact she seemed. What kind of child was I raising?) 'No! No you will not young lady!' I state a little manicly. 'Hold it in, we will run inside.' I tried to distract her as I speedily rolled up the kite (So much string!!!!), shook and rolled the mat (so many crumbs!) And gathered all our belongings before we made a mad dash indoors.

Have you ever seen a very pregnant lady run before? And run we did!

(Money spent aside from gas: $4 for drinks, $5 for the kite, $3 for the parking)

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 5:53 am
KUddos to you for enjoying challenges, I mostly don't.

You are pregnant though. Take it easy. You are not a camp. Whatever you do is a plus, it's not owed like at camp.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 4:08 am
Ruchel wrote:
KUddos to you for enjoying challenges, I mostly don't.

You are pregnant though. Take it easy. You are not a camp. Whatever you do is a plus, it's not owed like at camp.

Thank you. Worry not, I don't feel like I owe my children anything extravagant. Just an enjoyable summer Smile

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 6:55 am
Yasher koach!

Please keep writing about your camp!

I am also doing mommy camp with 2 little kids and a baby and I totally relate!

Beingreal

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 7:58 am
Me too! Except my kids are 6 4 and 20 months. I dont drive and my dh works ong hours.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 8:25 am
Hi all you other mommy's. Quite a week it's turning out to be Smile I'd love to hear all of your adventures too. I can't believe I'm calling a day of fruit picking an adventure, but hey, everything turns into am adventure with kids under 5, no?

Beingreal

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 10:21 am
Well, this week was stressful because my 4 year old had 104 fever and its strep. That resuted in a lot of cuddling. I know there were posts about screentime but I needed to pay attention to te other kids. I am tired and overwhelmed because he threw up at 1 3 6 am. I have tons of laundry to do....

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 12:56 pm
Beingreal wrote:
Well, this week was stressful because my 4 year old had 104 fever and its strep. That resuted in a lot of cuddling. I know there were posts about screentime but I needed to pay attention to te other kids. I am tired and overwhelmed because he threw up at 1 3 6 am. I have tons of laundry to do....

When it comes to sickness and illness, I personally don't believe in screen time rules. Sorry, but we do what we can to survive. I'd rather 30 minutes or so of cartoons, than losing my rag with my small people.

Zehava

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:05 pm
Oh for the love of god
Get an ac
Send your kid to camp
Don’t martyr yourself in your third trimester what are you trying to prove?

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:08 pm
Zehava wrote:
Oh for the love of god
Get an ac
Send your kid to camp

She doesn’t have to send her kids to camp, but I agree that she should get an AC. I never heard of something so bizarre.

But she does have a great sense of humor and an interesting writing style.

Zehava

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:11 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
She doesn’t have to send her kids to camp, but I agree that she should get an AC. I never heard of something so bizarre.

But she does have a great sense of humor and an interesting writing style.

Many people in Europe don’t have AC so it’s more normal than here but it’s no less scorching.
She may have a great sense of humor but what she’s doing is brutal.

Zehava

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:13 pm
I would call it martyr camp not mommy camp

rgr

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:26 pm
I hate to nitpick, I must have misunderstood. Do you have your child pick vegetables and then not take the basket home? No one can repickb those veggies after you.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:33 pm
rgr wrote:
I hate to nitpick, I must have misunderstood. Do you have your child pick vegetables and then not take the basket home? No one can repickb those veggies after you.

Op wrote: Toddler decides that he is happiest picking up other people's discarded squashed fruit from the floor, rather than the tantalizingly perfect fruit dangling close to his eyes. I will just ditch his basket at the exit, I say to myself.

He was taking from the ground, not picking his own.

Geez, people. Op isn't asking for critique. She's just sharing some amusing anecdotes. Can't anyone put anything out there without being shamed?

rgr

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:38 pm
amother wrote:
Op wrote: Toddler decides that he is happiest picking up other people's discarded squashed fruit from the floor, rather than the tantalizingly perfect fruit dangling close to his eyes. I will just ditch his basket at the exit, I say to myself.

He was taking from the ground, not picking his own.

Geez, people. Op isn't asking for critique. She's just sharing some amusing anecdotes. Can't anyone put anything out there without being shamed?

Got it. Sorry

OutATowner

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:41 pm
Zehava wrote:
Oh for the love of god
Get an ac
Send your kid to camp

I would be insulted if someone said that to me, and I don't get insulted easily. This is what I answer people who tell me I should send my kids to camp: do you have $4,000 to pay for it?
People who keep their kids home don't have to make it sound like it's a picnic. Sometimes the right choice is the harder one.

Zehava

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 1:54 pm
OutATowner wrote:
I would be insulted if someone said that to me, and I don't get insulted easily. This is what I answer people who tell me I should send my kids to camp: do you have $4,000 to pay for it?
People who keep their kids home don't have to make it sound like it's a picnic. Sometimes the right choice is the harder one.

Are you in your third trimester without ac and have a toddler?
Mommy camp is the right choice for some people but in her case it seems she is torturing herself and putting herself and her baby at risk.
I’m sorry I hurt her feelings but I felt it needed to be said.

OutATowner

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 2:10 pm
Zehava wrote:
Are you in your third trimester without ac and have a toddler?
Mommy camp is the right choice for some people but in her case it seems she is torturing herself and putting herself and her baby at risk.
I’m sorry I hurt her feelings but I felt it needed to be said.

No, admittedly I am not.
But I have other factors that compel people to "advise" me on sending them to camp. Giving advice is great, and sometimes very helpful. But if this is her situation, and you can't change it for her, and she is trying to make the best of it, why make her feel lousy that she is doing "Martyr Camp?"
I'm sure we all have times where we look at other people, quickly assess the situation, and give unsolicited advice. Sometimes we need to encourage, not discourage.
OP, kol halavod to you for trying your best and making things work.

Edited to add: The reason I feel passionately about this is because it is SO frustrating to hear people tell you that your kids should be in camp. I am trying my hardest to give them a good summer without spending money that I DON'T HAVE. I would love to have peace and quiet after working 6 days a week during the year. But I have to do what's best for my family, and for one of my kids who hates camp because of the sensory overload. I am now comfortable with my decision, but it took a while. When I see these comments directed towards others I feel like I have to defend them.
Good shabbos everyone!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 2:16 pm
please OP be careful about the heat. I'm pregnant and in general sensitive to the heat. I learned to wear light colored clothing, sunglasses, light tichels, sometimes even with a brim. If you are dressed appropriately it's much more manageable. Is there things indoors you can do like libraries that are airconditioned.
I also did mommy camp this year- made really great memories. I didn't even do it for money saving reasons Wink

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 2:29 pm
amother wrote:
Hi all you other mommy's. Quite a week it's turning out to be Smile I'd love to hear all of your adventures too. I can't believe I'm calling a day of fruit picking an adventure, but hey, everything turns into am adventure with kids under 5, no?

Are you kidding? Of course it's an adventure.
Any of the orchards or picking places I've gone to have been a half hour minimum drive.
Some of them have other features, like petting farms, playgrounds, corn mazes, hay rides.
That's one busy day!

ETA: I just went back to reread the OP. Still stick with what I wrote ;-D But now I have the full picture.
Mommy camp costs too. Gas, activities, memberships, etc. But we figured that we spent x/month on tuition for 10 months a year, so we could feel we had some breathing room for the 2+ months of summer.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics