Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
I'm going to write about my mommy camp on a budget
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 3:01 pm
Zehava wrote:
Are you in your third trimester without ac and have a toddler?
Mommy camp is the right choice for some people but in her case it seems she is torturing herself and putting herself and her baby at risk.
I’m sorry I hurt her feelings but I felt it needed to be said.

So what should she do? I assume she can’t afford AC or camp.

Zehava

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 3:11 pm
amother wrote:
So what should she do? I assume she can’t afford AC or camp.

When something is important enough you find the money or ask for help.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 3:26 pm
Zehava wrote:

Must be nice.

Some of us have to pick and choose.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 3:27 pm
Zehava wrote:

Let them eat cake.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 3:29 pm
For thousands of years everyone lived without AC. Millions still do.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 3:30 pm
Get help? From whom? Not everybody has relatives or friends who are able or willing to help out financially.
Even without a/c she can stay home and do activities and stay cool enough with the lights dimmed and fans blowing. Even *gasp* some screentime. No need to do outdoor activities in the heat of the day, especially with younger children who can be much more easily entertained at home.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 3:31 pm
BTW, OP, your mommy camp sounds delightful. But please take care of yourself too.

Zehava

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 3:34 pm
amother wrote:
For thousands of years everyone lived without AC. Millions still do.

For thousands of years 6 out of 9 children didn’t make it to adulthood and women routinely died in childbirth.

out-of-towner

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 3:46 pm
Zahava, I don't think you are getting that sometimes the money is simply not there. Is she supposed to go without food to afford AC and camp for her kids? Please stop guilt tripping OP for something that she very possibly can't help. Not everyone can just "find the money."

nechamashifra

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 3:52 pm
Zehava wrote:
Mommy camp is the right choice for some people but in her case it seems she is torturing herself and putting herself and her baby at risk.

Why all the angry and mean remarks? op did not ask for advice anywhere in her post, she just wanted to share her experiences and I thought her post was sweet and funny. Not sure where your anger is coming from.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 4:19 pm
Zehava wrote:

I'm still not sure why you're imposing your own priorities on op. Who says it's that important to her? Please respect her choices, the same way I'm sure you would like your own choices to be respected. No one has been harmed here.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 4:22 pm
Zehava wrote:
For thousands of years 6 out of 9 children didn’t make it to adulthood and women routinely died in childbirth.

lack of AC wasn't the issue.

OutATowner

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 4:29 pm
I apologize if I took a part in derailing this thread. OP, we cant wait to hear your adventures next week! Keep smiling and stay hydrated!

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 4:32 pm
We really do need to remember that the whole concept of "camp" is really modern.

Being the only adult, heavily pregnant, in the summer with little kids is really hard. Probably should be avoided.

'Camp' isn't the only solution though, or atleast it shouldn't be.

Zehava

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 4:43 pm
nechamashifra wrote:
Why all the angry and mean remarks? op did not ask for advice anywhere in her post, she just wanted to share her experiences and I thought her post was sweet and funny. Not sure where your anger is coming from.

I’m not angry I’m concerned

smss

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 5:58 pm
Zehava stop panicking. During my first pregnancy we had no a/c. In Yerushalayim. In the summer. Neither did my workplace. It was uncomfortable and I wouldn't choose it but I survived. And no there was no way we could have bought an a/c at that point in our lives, or begged one off someone else. If there was we would have done it!!

OP just make sure to drink a lot. And maybe find some indoor activities if you can. For example a children's museum can be something like $50 for 6 months membership where I live - unlimited visits and lots to do for kids your kids' ages. And bathrooms lol. Or many malls have free indoor play areas and/or splash pads with some shade. Not sure what there is in Europe but maybe worth looking into. I love your humor and positive attitude!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 6:46 pm
Day camp is one of those Jewish things like cleaning help. None of my no Jewish co-workers have their kids in camp or have cleaning help and we are all in the same financial bracket. It was very interesting to me when I realized this. Consider yourself in a different culture zehava. Personally, even though it's hard and I work full time from home, I prefer to have my kids stay home and do small trips when I can. It's not only about money. Kids can be home and be bored and it's not the end of the world. They learn to relax and to entertain themselves and to help out and be part of the household.

imorethanamother

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 6:55 pm
Okay, I want to see the OP do this "budget" with a 10 year old. Or a couple of them. Toddlers don't know any better - get them an ice cream cone from the freezer and color with glitter pens and they consider it an awesome day.

Aylat

Post Sat, Aug 04 2018, 2:53 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
Okay, I want to see the OP do this "budget" with a 10 year old. Or a couple of them. Toddlers don't know any better - get them an ice cream cone from the freezer and color with glitter pens and they consider it an awesome day.

I have kids aged 4-12. 3 weeks daycamp (half day) and 6 weeks home. Not spent much money so far, we haven't really done much. New felt pens and a packet of paper keep them busy for a few hours. Yep, the older ones too. DD 12 is a budding artist, and DS 11 draws intricate scenes of the superhero scenarios in his head and then acts out the stories with his younger brothers.

Last edited by Aylat on Sat, Aug 04 2018, 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total

Aylat

Post Sat, Aug 04 2018, 3:00 pm
Zehava wrote:

Oh my gosh, get real. Yeah, it's hard work looking after little kids and being pregnant, but torture and martyrdom?? And her baby is not at risk because she is sweating in the heat!

We didn't have ac for over two years living in Bet Shemesh. Fans and ice cubes Smile

OP, love your humour, you sound like a great mum! Good luck and enjoy Smile
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics