Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
I'm going to write about my mommy camp on a budget
Previous  1  2  3  4

nechamashifra

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 1:33 pm
petiteruchy wrote:
I think some of the negative responses can be chalked up to the following:

1. you essentially wanted to blog on a message board - most people start posts to ask for advice, support, commiseration or to share info, not just to write about their days. It is a little jarring, and I find that posts like this often invite criticism for the sake of it... because why else are you posting? That said, your normal "posting voice" is very nice.

2. mommy camp IMO only applies to moms who are essentially managing camp sized crowds and running camp type activities. Like, organizing 8 kids for an entire summer? doing it in a fun and engaging and low budget way? That's blog worthy... a mom of two toddlers hanging out at home is just a SAHM mom, and while plenty of women write blogs about their "adventures" in SAH parenting, it's not exactly camp.

3. Which leads me to ... martyr voice. No one doubts that staying home with two toddlers while heavily pregnant is challenging - the people who have been there AND the people that haven't yet can easily imagine the scenes you're describing... they know how difficult it is, which is why they're asking themselves, why are you doing this to yourself? Just be like every other SAHM and make yourself a nice, quiet, repetitive schedule that neither of your very young children will in any way find boring, and stop torturing yourself.

I'm probably being a little too mean and who knows why I'm even posting, but at least I'm doing it under my name.

That's when you know you've become an adult. When you stop dismissing your behaviours and thoughts with "I don't know" and you actually take the time to figure yourself out and take responsibility for your actions. Being mean to someone and following it up with "well I'm probably mean but who knows why" is childish. An example of maturity would be more along the lines of "I'm insecure about my own summer plans so reading the op's post has caused me pain and my reflex is to lash out with a mean response. Instead, I should really take a step back and figure out a summer that will make me feel happier with my choices and less angry with other's experiences". Just an example though.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 1:34 pm
oliveoil wrote:
This is really more of a humblebrag than a "let me show you how to do mommy camp on a budget" and yet it falls flat (and grates) for all the reasons petiteruchy wrote.

I saw it as a creative writing exercise.

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 4:31 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Wow OP I’m really impressed! I’m in London now and my gawd! It is hot!!

Background: Last summer I was also in Europe and it was beautiful and I understood why the U.K. (and a lot of Europe) doesn’t have Air Con but this year is another story....

Current situation: I’m sleeping with a fan (almost naked embarrassed). Im literally excited for my shower now. I’m sweating a lot. I’m excited to go back home.

General situation: the indoor places and malls dont have AC. Another issue here is that there are no beaches or pools.

Solutions: be creative! I took my son to Leicester square and put him in his bathing suit and he ran (more like crawled really fast) through the sprinklers. Many others had the same idea, even though this isn’t a sprinkler park- it’s a memorial of some sort...

Stay cool and enjoy the rest of your summer!

The last time it was this hot in the UK was before I was born. (more then 40 years ago!) Although, London does get pretty hot compared to other parts of the UK. But it is true it always cools down after tisha b'av once the kids are out of school lol.

petiteruchy

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 6:26 pm
nechamashifra wrote:
That's when you know you've become an adult. When you stop dismissing your behaviours and thoughts with "I don't know" and you actually take the time to figure yourself out and take responsibility for your actions. Being mean to someone and following it up with "well I'm probably mean but who knows why" is childish. An example of maturity would be more along the lines of "I'm insecure about my own summer plans so reading the op's post has caused me pain and my reflex is to lash out with a mean response. Instead, I should really take a step back and figure out a summer that will make me feel happier with my choices and less angry with other's experiences". Just an example though.

Thanks for the giggle, and I'm not being sarcastic. I actually did snort my lemonade through my nose when reading this. You can always count on someone to lash back on an harsh but honest post with an even snarkier one.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 6:34 pm
petiteruchy wrote:
Thanks for the giggle, and I'm not being sarcastic. I actually did snort my lemonade through my nose when reading this. You can always count on someone to lash back on an harsh but honest post with an even snarkier one.

Harsh but honest. How very self-righteous of you.

OutATowner

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 7:16 pm
How about this? Whoever doesn't like OP's thread doesn't have to read it. Just like I skip threads that I don't care for.
OP, hope this week goes well! Have fun!

DVOM

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 9:32 pm
Goodness gracious! Everyone relax! It's amazing how such a positive post could generate such a negative response!

OP, I found your post to be entertaining and charming. I admire your commitment to fiscal responsibility and your attitude is inspiring. I'd love to read more!

cozyblanket

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 10:09 pm
DVOM wrote:
Goodness gracious! Everyone relax! It's amazing how such a positive post could generate such a negative response!

OP, I found your post to be entertaining and charming. I admire your commitment to fiscal responsibility and your attitude is inspiring. I'd love to read more!

I will second that!

Camp mommy vs. Sahm is semantics. I cannot understand the critical responses.

OP, how was your weekend? Another week begins... And I would love to hear about your adventures.

Btw, do you have a friend who has a house with a yard? Maybe you both can entertain the kids with a sprinkler and a tray of watermelon.

Feel good.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 10:18 pm
I think it’s great op is so active when preg. It’s healthy. I’m 38 weeks with my sixth child. It was 99 degrees and humid today. I’m not staying inside - my kids would go crazy.
We made a huge bbq today in a park with a bunch of relatives, hiked, fished, visited some animals, played some ball, and ran around a playground. Tomorrow I plan on taking kids to the beach myself.
Why in the world is it concerning for a pregnant women to entertain her children in the summer?

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 12:52 pm
DVOM wrote:

Thank you DVOM! I'm indeed trying to find the time to add to my post.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 12:54 pm
amother wrote:
I think it’s great op is so active when preg. It’s healthy. I’m 38 weeks with my sixth child. It was 99 degrees and humid today. I’m not staying inside - my kids would go crazy.
We made a huge bbq today in a park with a bunch of relatives, hiked, fished, visited some animals, played some ball, and ran around a playground. Tomorrow I plan on taking kids to the beach myself.
Why in the world is it concerning for a pregnant women to entertain her children in the summer?

I agree with you. As much as I'd love to stick my feet up and be stationary 24/7, once we have other small people we are up on our feet and it keeps us moving. Can't be all that bad for our health.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 12:58 pm
[quote="cozyblanket"]I will second that!

Camp mommy vs. Sahm is semantics. I cannot understand the critical responses.

OP, how was your weekend? Another week begins... And I would love to hear about your adventures.

Btw, do you have a friend who has a house with a yard? Maybe you both can entertain the kids with a sprinkler and a tray of watermelon.

Feel good.[/quote

Thank you. Most of us around here live in small apartments. Such is life within a frum community. I do some friends with a yard, however they either works through the summer or their kids are in camp.
Don't worry though, our local park is really just outside my apartment and we do spend many a days there. Smile
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics