Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Not everything is meant to wear with a shell!!
Previous  1  2  3  4

mandksima

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 2:26 pm
Since moving to Israel, I have seen many styles for the first time such as shells under prom type dresses and socks with sandals and although I was shocked a bit in the beginning as I hadn't seen it in the States at all, it was very refreshing to see people buy whatever they pleased and make it tzanua.

I can't say I thought it always looked great but who really cares? Who am I to have an opinion on their choices that don't make a difference in my life? Why be critical? It was so nice that girls didn't need the latest style and overpriced specifically frum gowns and they created their own style which is super popular here. Sort of like how crocs became so popular for a while. No one can say they have a great style but people were comfortable wearing them and even the imitation ones were worn and no one cared. Finally, some non-fashionable ideas became fashionable enough and people didn't have to concentrate on or worry about buying the latest expensive thing. Anything goes. B'simcha! Truly, a pleasure to see! Why complain or comment negatively? Always look for the positive!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 2:27 pm
mandksima wrote:
Since moving to Israel, I have seen many styles for the first time such as shells under prom type dresses and socks with sandals and although I was shocked a bit in the beginning as I hadn't seen it in the States at all, it was very refreshing to see people buy whatever they pleased and make it tzanua.

I can't say I thought it always looked great but who really cares? Who am I to have an opinion on their choices that don't make a difference in my life? Why be critical? It was so nice that girls didn't need the latest style and overpriced specifically frum gowns and they created their own style which is super popular here. Sort of like how crocs became so popular for a while. No one can say they have a great style but people were comfortable wearing them and even the imitation ones were worn and no one cared. Finally, some non-fashionable ideas became fashionable enough and people didn't have to concentrate on or worry about buying the latest expensive thing. Anything goes. B'simcha! Truly, a pleasure to see! Why complain or comment negatively? Always look for the positive!

Sandals and socks, on people other than kids, is very not American. I.e., you will see it elsewhere.

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 2:29 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Brilliant!
Thanks, I'm sleep-deprived ;-D

So it looks like it's not off the shoulder but that new cut out shoulder look that I find annoying. I could see wearing a shell under some tops but a) not all styles and b) I want to avoid the extra layer.

I agree that certain of style a shell would detract from the original design. Especially a shell of the same color.

But the main reason I tend to avoid is the extra layer ... Although I don't mind a crop top type shell for sleeves dresses.

Last edited by singleagain on Thu, Aug 02 2018, 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 3:04 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Sandals and socks, on people other than kids, is very not American. I.e., you will see it elsewhere.

I wear pantyhose with sandals.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 3:43 pm
mandksima wrote:

Why are you reading the fashion forum if you don't care what people wear?

I'm interested in fashion, so of course I have an opinion on what other people wear, how it fits them, how it looks.

And its ridiculous that people cannot have a conversation about the topic of the forum -- fashion and beauty -- because people are CRITICAL and JUDGMENTAL about people's interest in that topic.

mandksima

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 3:54 pm
I am very interested in fashion and beauty. I enjoy beautiful things. I personally would never wear a shell under a prom dress but that is besides the point.

That has nothing to do with the need to be critical of people's choices. Everyone has the equal opportunity to find beauty in people not abiding by all current fashion standards. As much as I don't like the style personally, I have found something positive in it.

Seeing this style often has rubbed off on me. I used to be horrified to let my daughter wear styles that now don't bother me a bit. Probably because I pick my battles and "everyone" here is wearing it...That's why I commented. To bring a different perspective.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 4:18 pm
Everything on this site is a fight.
Can't we just talk about fashion like women IRL? Like without resorting to blowing up at each other.
IT'S FASHION.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 6:36 pm
Hi, can I have an opinion?

I think it was nice of the OP to point this out. Not everyone realizes what they look like, and those who have read this thread might give a second glance before wearing shells with cold shoulders or spaghetti straps. What's not to like?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 8:01 pm
why would someone care what someone else is choosing to wear?

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 12:44 pm
I also don’t like the shell look but that is up to the person to decide what they want to wear.
BUT the most important is the nude shell under the no tzinut dress.
In being tzinut the spirit of the Halacha is not to show our bodies off not to have people staring at us. Well when you are wearing a sleeveless or halter top with a nude shell guess what. It looks like your wearing NOTHING underneath till I get close to you.
Is that what you are looking to do?????
If an invite says dress in accordance to Jewish customs and your non frum or nonjewish guests come and see you in your nude shell what will they automatically think. They had to go and buy a sweater or shell to go over their clothes but other guests came with out it.
It is totally against the spirt if the Halacha
Now off my soap box !
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics