Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to get my child not to touch my phone
1  2  Next

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 11:05 pm
I need advice please on how to stop my child from taking my phone. I have a password but he still has interest since he can use the camera and takes videos. What bothers me is that he gets too busy with it and will rather be busy with my phone then to play. How can I stop this?

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 11:08 pm
Same way we keep kids away from matches. Keep the phone away from the kid.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 11:11 pm
It's always handy and I use it often especially that we don't have a landline. How can I keep it away? He grabs it whenever possible.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 11:13 pm
The answer is simple, keep it in a designated place out your child's reach. Every time you need to use it, use it at that spot.
Or get a landline or dumb phone for calls.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 11:14 pm
Put it away. You shouldn't be so busy with it anyway when you're watching and engaging with him. Of course he wants it. He sees how much you want it.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 11:18 pm
amother wrote:
It's always handy and I use it often especially that we don't have a landline. How can I keep it away? He grabs it whenever possible.

Make it less handy.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 11:40 pm
Keep it in your pocket. If you don't have a pocket wear a small cross body bag or fanny pack

tante_feige

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 11:54 pm
Kids are always interested in what their parents are interested in. You say that you use your phone often. It isn't realistic to think that you can always be on your phone and your son will show no interest.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 12:25 am
If he likes it for the camera maybe you can get him a camera of his own that he can use to take pictures and videos.

essie14

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 1:34 am
My daughter only wants my phone when she see she me using it. On Shabbat she never asks for anything electronic. I try as much as possible not to use it when she is awake and then she’s perfectly fine with her toys.
As soon as I start using it that’s when she tries to grab it.

Aylat

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 4:51 am
Same. I find it really annoying that the password doesn't lock the camera. Sometimes I'll come back to my phone and discover tens of closeups of a kid's nose, or blurry videos of feet and toys.

simcha2

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 8:00 am
amother wrote:

We have a landline, it gets used for about 5 minutes a day. How much time do you really need to spend on your phone when you are with your toddler? If you are working and need to respond immediately I get it. If it is just social texting etc there is no obligation to answer right away. Put your phone away. When your child is napping or after bed time answer all the texts. If there is something really urgent the person will call you.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 9:24 am
If it’s an iPhone, it can be set up so that camera can’t be accessed when the phone is locked.

wife2

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 9:59 am
I try never to use my phone in front of my kids. I keep it away unless I have an urgent call. I want to be fully attentive to kid. If your kid sees you distracted by it, why shouldn't he be??? If it's not in front of them and not accessible, they won't want it. You can't expect him to not use it and touch it when that's all you do all day. You're the role model.

Last edited by wife2 on Mon, Aug 06 2018, 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 10:02 am
Just wondering, why does it bother you that he likes to take pictures and videos? It's a creative outlet. My phone is locked and my kids also use it for pictures and videos sometimes (although I do have a rule that they need to ask first). They've taken some hysterical videos.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 1:46 pm
amother wrote:
Just wondering, why does it bother you that he likes to take pictures and videos? It's a creative outlet. My phone is locked and my kids also use it for pictures and videos sometimes (although I do have a rule that they need to ask first). They've taken some hysterical videos.

I think OP's problem with it, is that her son won't play with anything or anyone else when he has the phone. She wants him to interact with other things.

I agree with all the above, put the phone away and play with your child!

Maya

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 1:52 pm
My kids know my hard and fast rule that they are not to touch my phone under any circumstances, except with permission, which I don’t grant often.
Just make it a rule of the home, just like you would anything else.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 2:39 pm
My guess, obviously I wouldn't know, you're way too much on your phone. I've got an iPhone no landline, and my kids never touch my phone.

1. They know it's expensive. 2. I don't work when they are home. 3. It's always sitting on my office desk. 4. I don't take pictures often.

"monkey see monkey do" I see it again and again!

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:

Not the OP, but it's expensive - you're not afraid they will break it?

lucky14

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 11:49 pm
amother wrote:
Not the OP, but it's expensive - you're not afraid they will break it?

if you're afraid of it breaking get an otterbox.

to the OP: agree with others that it's important to be an example and not use it so often around him unless it's very important- are they work calls you are making?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics