Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Where to get the best umbrellas ?

Motek

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 10:14 pm
umbrellas that are longlasting

that flip back when the wind flips them out

the spokes stay put

a good umbrella!

had one but it is gone now Sad

I want a small to medium pop-up umbrella.

Also want to know about BIG, men's umbrellas. Same requirements: longlasting etc.

keep on buying junk Exploding anger

recommendations anyone?

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 10:19 pm
there are name-brand ones. my husband used to have one that costed twenty dollars, it lasted him for years, I think he picked it up on the lower East Side. Does anyone shop there anymore?

redhot

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 10:24 pm
I found the best umbrellas!!! I got a set of two nautica umbrellas from costco. Both are big though. ONe of them is HUGE (can fit me, dh and our kid ) . They are strong and great. I cant remember the price though. ..

Clarissa

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 10:56 pm
This doesn't answer the question, but it reminded me of the greatest store, called Uncle Sam's Umbrellas on West 57th Street. It had nothing but umbrellas and canes, and there was a tremendous variety, only top quality. I just loved buying my umbrellas from a nice old guy who only sold umbrellas. They closed a few years ago (the neighborhood is very expensive, right by Carnegie Hall and everything) and I was sad to see them go. Of course, I wasn't the best customer, since the umbrellas lasted forever and I didn't go back very often.

It's the kind of old New York store that is a part of the past.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 8:12 am
C&A and generally English ones

Squash

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 10:07 am
My husband bought an umbrella ($15) from a guy in Shomrei Shabbos. He only bought it cuz he felt bad for the guy. It's the best umbrella. it has 2 layers so the wind doesn't break it and it's very strong.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 10:42 am
What are you gonna do whjen the umbrella disappears, Motek ?

Hannah!

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 11:14 am
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 12:19 pm
this thread reminds me of a funny incident.
I was walking in BP on a very rainy day with an umbrella that had seen better days.
It kept blowing inside out. I passed a woman who was wearing a hood instead and she was nodding at me and laughing and says "see, there is just no point, why bother"

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 12:45 pm
ah ... umbrellas ... I still have a FUN yellow one bought in my single years ... I never use one now ... I rather like singing in the rain Music: ...

could be to avoid any mishaps you have to learn umbrella holding tricks ... like hold in the same direction of the wind - so as you do not go flying away with it ... it was only funny on marry poppins ...

remember the olden day bubble umbrella ... clear, deep, see through ... with a rim of color ... they never make the same quality stuff anymore ...

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 1:04 pm
Hannah! wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
What are you gonna do whjen the umbrella disappears, Motek ?

The only umbrella I HAVEN'T lost over the years is the $35 (or so) one I bought from JCrew. I may be forgetful with the ones that cost $2 in the drug store, but I'm not about to forget the one that cost $35!

Whenever I want to buy an umbrella, I have these debating thoughts. Why should I get an expensive one if I'm going to lose it any way?? Then again, maybe if it'll be a very expensive one I'll be much more careful with it?
Y'know like when you walk into a store when its still raining and put your umbrella down, and it stops raining while you're shopping, and by the time you're ready to leave the sun is shining, how many people will remember to take their umbrellas?!?

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 1:10 pm
if somebody is known to misplace things ... it really don't matter the cost ... they will continue to do so ... don't kid yourself or the other items would still be around ...

Hannah!

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 1:38 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Hannah!

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 1:38 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Motek

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 6:50 pm
thanks for the suggestions all Smile

choc - I'm gonna get another one

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 7:09 pm
buy one of those totes brand - I imagine if there's an issue they will stand behind their name ...

momluv

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 7:16 pm
yup, I always buy totes for 20-25 dollars. they are great. never had a problem. where do you live motek? I bought mine on 13th ave. in bp in m.s. shoppers paradise. I think that's the name or something like it. she is the only one in bp that sells it.

bigmomma

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 10:46 pm
Need a good umbrella that will last instead of buying cheap ones-all ideas welcome....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars