Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Looking for tutor to teach third grade girl mishnayos-gemora

familyfirst

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 1:55 am
via skype
Preferably on wednesdays 3:30-4:15 (exact time flexible)

Prefer female teacher
Could be male

Any leads? Obviously for beginner beginner
Thanks so much!

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 1:58 am
In Israel they usually start teaching gemarah in 5th or 6th grade.
Mishnayot maybe, but for gemarah, 3rd grade is a little early.
Just commenting, don't have a teacher.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 7:55 am
I'm a huge advocate of girls learning Mishna and Gemara, but I agree with amother tan. Third grade is just too early for the sort of organizing of halacha, and textual reference and argumentation that are central to Mishna and Gemara. I think that a real risk of introducing these subjects too early is that a kid can be turned off.

If you want your daughter to be exposed to analytical thinking, teaching her how to understand Rashi -- not just to read Rashi, but to understand why Rashi often gives multiple explanations, what he finds unsatisfying in each one -- would be a better choice.

But honestly, I think third grade is really young even for that. I could see trying out someone to do deep Rashi teaching, but I'd suggest stepping back if you or the tutor see any signs that your daughter isn't enjoying this.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 9:39 am
I never heard of a girl learning gemara or mishnayos.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 9:42 am
amother wrote:

Seriously? It's been a thing among the Modern Orthodox for decades. And even classes at JPF schools and shiurim at JPF shuls are often accompanied by handouts with excerpts from Mishna and Gemara, which is not far from learning Mishna and Gemara itself.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 9:43 am
amother wrote:

A century ago, if the internet had been around, someone would have been posting that they never heard of a girl learning Chumash and Rashi.

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 10:23 am
My sons yeshiva elementary teaches mishnayos in 3rd/4th and gemara in 5th. I assumed most schools did the same.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 10:42 am
Outside of Europe it is a thing. By me, I'm more familiar with no dresscode, optional prayer, mixed gym, BUT the shvach gemara they will do in high school is just for boys.
I have zero interest both in that type, and in gemare on girl.
In my previous school the boys and girls did some M on 2 and 3 grade, very little.
In my school now boys start on 2nd grade on a higher level than the previous school no M for girls.
Previous school had gemara for boys starting 4th grade and school now same

anon for this

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 11:22 am
amother wrote:

Have you never heard of girls learning pirkei avot?

watergirl

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 12:16 pm
anon for this wrote:
Have you never heard of girls learning pirkei avot?

I honestly dont think that people realize that pirkei avot is a masechta (aka mishna/gemara).

watergirl

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 12:19 pm
amother wrote:

Fwiw, now you have. I learned gemara in high school.

rzab

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 1:33 pm
As a mother of an incoming fourth grader and a former high school gemara teacher, I am going to echo the sentiment that third grade is to young for formal gemara. But it is Def not to young for mishnayot. Although, I would prob start a little more informally at this age, like learning together on shabbos.
If your daughter is fluent in Hebrew, I highly recommend ratzim l'mishna (mishnarun.org).
It is produced by Rav rimon and it is wonderful. Over the summer vacation, every day they release a short video that combines a story and learning mishna. This year they did baba metziah and last year was sukkah. This year they even produced source sheets/work sheets as a companion to the videos. If you email them, they might send it to you.

Good luck!

happyone

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 5:14 pm
Please.... shes in third grade! Get her barbie dolls, dress up heels and save the gemara , if you feel she needs the stimulation and / or education for when its age appropriate. Third grade is a year when many new subjects and concepts are introduced.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 5:39 pm
happyone wrote:
Please.... shes in third grade! Get her barbie dolls, dress up heels and save the gemara .

I think she is too young for gemarah, but barbie dolls and heels? These are things I would buy if a girl begged for them, but certainly not mechatchila good alternatives for her time.
Let her read good books, play outside, ride her bike.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 5:44 pm
amother wrote:

In Israel in most state religious schools, girls learn mishna from about grade 4 and boys learn gemarah.
I guess that will probably change in many schools in the next decade, as orthodox feminism gains strength and parents will want their girls learning gemarah too.
Not that I think that's a good idea. Most boys I know hated gemarah in elementary school.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 8:55 am
Ruchel wrote:
... the shvach gemara they will do in high school is just for boys.

weak gemara?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling