Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you tell people your age?
1  2  Next

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 7:16 am
Most pple think I am much younger than I really am. When I get the sense that someone thinks I'm so young, I tell them my age- but then I walk away wishing I hadn't.

Is there a good reason to tell or not tell? Sometimes I think I'm not taken as seriously because everyone thinks I'm so young...but I still wish I could control myself!

simcha2

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 7:21 am
Sure, why not? There is no reason that then thinking I am younger (or older) than I am is a good thing. I am what I am. Don't see why people want to be thought of as younger.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 7:37 am
By the grace of G-d I have lived as long as I have, and I'm not the least bit ashamed to say my age. I'm grateful for every day I have.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 8:11 am
I don’t tell anyone my age. They can figure it out if they want to ( they know when I graduated high school , how many years I am married etc ) but I hate saying the number.

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 8:28 am
I'm 3 x חי plus 1

with age comes wisdom ~ I've earned it

לחיים Cheers Mr. Green

simba

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 8:30 am
amother wrote:
I don’t tell anyone my age. They can figure it out if they want to ( they know when I graduated high school , how many years I am married etc ) but I hate saying the number.

I know a few people like this. Just wondering what bothers you about it so much. I have no problem saying my age.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 8:34 am
I do. Heh. I don't like my age and it doesn't fit my mental interests (I'm the one asking my kids to do Pokemon with me and being upset if the oldest has lost interest) and from what I'm told, my physical looks (some years ago I got surgery and the surgeon talked to me like a teen, then saw my file and switched to "vous" and apoligized - recently I was told I look early mid 20s without make up etc). Kah. But I don't hide I'm 34. I may say I don't relate to a lot of it though but at least when I do, people respect me more and don't hound me about my kids lol

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 8:45 am
simba wrote:
I know a few people like this. Just wondering what bothers you about it so much. I have no problem saying my age.

I think it's because I prefer not to volunteer info about myself- especially when it's not reciprocated.

happyone

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 8:50 am
Do you announce your weight as well?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 9:09 am
happyone wrote:

In theory, I should have some control over my weight, so sharing it makes me look bad. But I don't control the passage of time. What's the big deal?

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 9:34 am
simba wrote:

I feel young and have a lot of younger friends ( ten years plus younger ). Don’t like saying the number I am as they look at me as I am very old Sad

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 9:37 am
amother wrote:
I feel young and have a lot of younger friends ( ten years plus younger ). Don’t like saying the number I am as they look at me as I am very old Sad

So? Why does old equal bad? What happens when you are 75 (assuming you are not yet 75)? Will you despise yourself?

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 9:49 am
happyone wrote:

I do. I’m perfectly comfortable saying my weight and age.

simba

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 9:52 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I do. I’m perfectly comfortable saying my weight and age.

My age is not embarrassing.. my weight on the other hand..

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 9:56 am
simba wrote:
My age is not embarrassing.. my weight on the other hand..

I can hear that. As someone else mentioned, weight is somewhat in control while age just is. That being said, everyone sees what you look like anyway, weight is just a number. And there are beautiful people of all shapes and sizes.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 10:02 am
Let's face it nowadays it's pretty easy to find out how old someone is through a simple Google search! Smile

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 10:13 am
Yes I’m proud of my age. Is getting older an aveira? As I teach my kids “you only need to be embarrassed of aveiras”

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 10:22 am
I really think it's a generational thing, there used to be a thing that a woman never reveals her age and it's rude to ask, but I'm seeing it less and less. I certainly don't care and I don't know anyone in my age group who does (I'm 31). My mother is 60 and and shares that too as do most of her friends. It was more of a shameful secret for my grandmothers' generation and as a kid most women in that age group zealously guarded the secret, though nowadays, my grandmothers and their friends are well into their 80s and are perfectly happy to share it- I guess at a certain point, you a) can't get away with pretending you're under 40 and b) in your 80s you no longer care about the stupid stuff and anyway, it's such a bracha to get there, why hide it.

My great-uncle (who is part of that older generation) never married, but had some long term relationships over the years. Many years ago, he and a girlfriend were traveling abroad and she got into serious trouble with customs because she had whited out her birth year on her passport because Gd forbid some random official (or my great-uncle, maybe?) should know her age. Yeah, it's a funny story that's part of family lore, but in reality it's sad that she was so insecure, likely because of the cultural norms of her generation. BH it really doesn't seem to be a thing anymore.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 11:43 am
I try to work my age into a conversation, since I am 40 but look 14, and find that I don't get respect that are afforded to other adults my age. Like, when talking to a group of women and I'd mention a dilemma I'm having with my baby, I will get that "well, when you get to be "our" age, you'll see xyz won't bother you so much" when, in fact, I am well older than their age.
With age comes wisdom and I'd like to not be treated like someone much younger than I am.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 12:31 pm
I think I look my age, but when I tell people I have a 17 yr old DC, they can't believe it. I was in my low 20's when I had my oldest.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics