Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Gym attire
Previous  1  2  3  Next

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 7:36 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not "closed minded" but it also surprised me. I'm not as Yeshivish as most of Lakewood and I would feel so uncomfortable in leggings in public! Ha I'd probably look like a Rebbitzen in a Lakewood gym! Maybe its because I go to a non-jewish (womens) one OOT? Seems like some ladies feel this is their "chance" to wear leggings...

Yes, actually I do feel this is my chance to wear leggings. I love to work out, and if I didn't keep tznius, I'd walk around in athleisure all day. But I do keep tznius. To keep myself motivated to work out, I buy a cute, flattering workout wardrobe, with comfy and trendy sneakers, leggings in fun or pretty prints, and nice, flattering tops. That's what I wear to the gym. Why on earth would I not take the chance when I'm given the chance? Once I have to go out and purchase a gym wardrobe, why on earth wouldn't I buy clothing that's flattering and appealing?

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 7:39 pm
I’m a little surprised too. Tight regular leggings and a fitted T-shirt?

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 7:40 pm
amother wrote:
I’m a little surprised too. Tight regular leggings and a fitted T-shirt?

Yes. I'm surprised that so many people are surprised!

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 7:42 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Yes. I'm surprised that so many people are surprised!

That’s a very revealing outfit for people who are usually all covered up.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 7:44 pm
amother wrote:

I'm very comfortable with my body. B"H. (I wasn't always so comfortable.)

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 8:04 pm
amother wrote:
Huh? Their chance?? How would you do Pilates in a skirt? They flop up on you. Those sit-ups with your legs moving (don’t know the name 😆) your skirt would be all tangled up. Don’t put your own insecurities on everyone else and then put them down with it.

First of all I'm far from insecure and if I was a [gentile] I'd live in leggings believe me. Second of all no ones doing Pilates (and bicycle crunces?) in a long uniform skirt just a thin knee length skirt does not get in the way I promise!!

I could be 100% off but something about it just sounds hashkafically wrong. I'm also specifically referring to women who want to appear very yeshivish usually.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 8:10 pm
SuperWify wrote:
DW you won’t be the rebitzen at the gym because like I said earlier their are a few women who come fully dressed! (Yes including a shaitel...)

They're coming straight from the park!!! You expect them to change!?!?

amother
Black

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:
Monsey women only gym- pants and a t shirt. Hair covered. Some come with skirt some don’t. At classes no one wears a skirt.

women's only gym in monsey- some wear a skirt over their leggings for classes. I do.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 9:53 pm
amother wrote:
Lakewood yeshivish ladies don't wear skirts at the gym?

I'm right-wing Yeshivish (not Lakewood, but same style community) and most women don't wear skirts at our aerobics class.

ETA: Most aren't wearing leggings though.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 9:55 pm
Double post

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 9:56 pm
amother wrote:

I could be 100% off but something about it just sounds hashkafically wrong. I'm also specifically referring to women who want to appear very yeshivish usually.

Please explain what's hashkafically wrong? I would love to know what circles you run in.

Are you also against Yeshivish people going swimming?

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 10:35 pm
amother wrote:

You know, some of us only cover up because that what the Torah commands. If it was up to me, I would wear a bikini.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 10:41 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
You know, some of us only cover up because that what the Torah commands. If it was up to me, I would wear a bikini.

Exactly this.

Why we can’t wear leggings in a all women’s gym just we because we normally dress tznius is beyond me...

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 10:54 pm
There are a few smaller exercise studios in town (like Fusion Fitness) where the norm is to wear a short lycra skirt over leggings. You might feel uncomfortable in just leggings.

In many other gyms I've been in, there's a range. Some women are in short sleeves with leggings, some are wearing skirts. Some wear sheitels (can't understand it, but to each her own, I guess) but most wear snoods. Many wear pretied tichels, many wear Belgian snoods.

I haven't noticed a ton of tank tops in the gyms I've been in. Short sleeves, for sure. But if you're worried about feeling uncomfortable, don't wear one until you've been there a few times.

Really, pretty much anything goes in most gyms, unless that gym caters to a very specific clientele.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 12:10 am
amother wrote:
Please explain what's hashkafically wrong? I would love to know what circles you run in.

Are you also against Yeshivish people going swimming?

Now that I think about it I think it does have to do with which circles I run in. Our (seemingly unpopular) hashkafah is very much into gadlus ha'adam (ok gave it away). So just like my husband wouldn't take off his button down (of any color Wink - total give away) to play basketball which is obviously a muttar thing to do, I feel its detracts from where I hold myself as well to present myself in public as a cute millennial dressed in a tank top and leggings (even for exercise).

Also, it doesn't have to be a skirt but at least something baggier that doesn't show off your entire bottom, no? Tznius is not just about men and a list of rules. In sleepaway camps you cant just walk around in tight jeans and tank tops even if there are no men around. Why not? Cuz we dress like Jews...

Again, this concept is heavily stressed in our circles by our Rabbanim which would explain why it sounds so foreign to others. Since it's not other people's hashkafah it makes sense that were having a clash. You do you and I'll do me and hopefully I'll get in shape again.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 12:20 am
As I see it: if you see your dress code as external, then when there are no men around, you're more likely to wear a tank top and leggings. If you see your dress code as reflective of an internal dignity, then super tight and revealing clothes wouldn't be acceptable even in all-female company.

The thing is, you are allowed to wear whatever you want when only women are around. So it's none of my business how others dress at the gym.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 12:36 am
amother wrote:
As I see it: if you see your dress code as external, then when there are no men around, you're more likely to wear a tank top and leggings. If you see your dress code as reflective of an internal dignity, then super tight and revealing clothes wouldn't be acceptable even in all-female company.

The thing is, you are allowed to wear whatever you want when only women are around. So it's none of my business how others dress at the gym.

Does your statement apply to bathing suits as well, or only gym attire?

While I agree with your premise, I do think its relevance is limited. Wearing bathing suits in a pool, gym clothes while you're working out & nighties at a sleep over is not reflective of anything internal or external. It's just the clothes needed to get the activity done. But if I'm attending an all female event, then super tight and revealing clothing would be reflective of externals vs internal. At any event, super tight and revealing clothing serve no purpose other than to showcase oneself, but proper attire for activities serves a functional purpose. And that's a key difference.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 12:42 am
amother wrote:

While I agree with your premise, I do think its relevance is limited. Wearing bathing suits in a pool, gym clothes while you're working out & nighties at a sleep over is not reflective of anything internal or external. It's just the clothes needed to get the activity done. But if I'm attending an all female event, then super tight and revealing clothing would be reflective of externals vs internal. At any event, super tight and revealing clothing serve no purpose other than to showcase oneself, but proper attire for activities serves a functional purpose. And that's a key difference.

But leggings and a tank top?!? Really?

Not the poster you asked but yes a regualr bathing suit makes sense for swimming while a bikini is less tznius no matter if there are men around or not.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 12:44 am
amother wrote:
But leggings and a tank top?!? Really?

Not the poster you asked but yes a regualr bathing suit makes sense for swimming while a bikini is less tznius no matter if there are men around or not.

Yes, with gym attire, leggings and tank tops or short sleeve tees are the equivalent to a bathing suit. Short bottoms and sports bras would be equivalent to a bikini.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 12:45 am
amother wrote:

I think we agree then. If you're swimming, wear a bathing suit. There's no reason for a skimpy bikini when a one-piece will do. If you are at the gym, wear comfortable clothes that allow a full range of motion. I would think yoga pants and a t-shirt serve just as well as leggings and a tank top.

But again, that's me and those are my sensitivities. I can't pretend halacha demands what I think is appropriate. I think my sensitivities express a correct understanding of halacha, but I cannot impose it on others.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise