Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School supplies
1  2  Next

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 11:42 am
So I finally got all the lists now that school has started. Each list has like 20 detailed items times a few lists... forget about the crazy expense... but it means I’ll most likely have to go to a few crowded stores to find exactly what we need. Why can’t it be a simple list? I wonder if even half the items get used more than 2-4 times throughout the year. Is anyone with me on this?

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 12:25 pm
I wish School would provide the supplies and bill me. They can save buying in bulk.

You can order supplies on amazon. Still expensive but at least no running around.

Mommy1:)

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 12:29 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I wish School would provide the supplies and bill me. They can save buying in bulk.

I actually talked to my child's school about this idea. They said there are some big issues with it.
1 - they have to chase after parents for money and some will NOT pay.
2 - some parents will say they can find things cheaper and will only want to get specific items on the list through the school.
3 - parents may complain about the quality. If you buy cheaper there will be parents who complain that it's not a brand name item.
4 - parents may wish to re-use items from prior years or other kids.
5 - parents may complain about colors of notebook covers, folders, etc.
6 - the school has to have someone willing to deal with all of the above, search for the best price, order them, put the items together for each child etc...

fraimal

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 12:46 pm
Go t9 target.com and do all online

Redbird

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 1:07 pm
I got most supplies at the dollar tree, and they happen to have some really cute stuff! and you can shop on their website too. Quality seems decent but I didnt get things like crayons and markers because I stick with name brand for that.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 1:15 pm
My issue with school supplies is that every teacher has their mishegassin on what they like & many of the supplies don't even get used. 1 DD's teacher decided she wants 5 different colors highlighters, another wanted afew different colors mini posted notes, another a pack of multi colored pens, another a doodle pad for art lessons which they had one art lesson the entire year!!! The highlighters where used maybe 2 times & the post it notes where'nt used at all!! Teachers need to use some seichel when making the supplies list. Ask for basics & if you want to use a specialty, the teacher should buy afew for the class to share.

octopus

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 1:17 pm
Why can't the school let parents know in the beginning of August what supplies they need.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 1:18 pm
DD's school has a standard school supplies list per grade, that pretty much stays the same from year to year. It's sent with the student handbook. I always save last year's, so that I can shop when there are sales based on what DD will need.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 1:19 pm
octopus wrote:
Why can't the school let parents know in the beginning of August what supplies they need.

Boy, do I wish.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 1:29 pm
amother wrote:
My issue with school supplies is that every teacher has their mishegassin on what they like & many of the supplies don't even get used. 1 DD's teacher decided she wants 5 different colors highlighters, another wanted afew different colors mini posted notes, another a pack of multi colored pens, another a doodle pad for art lessons which they had one art lesson the entire year!!! The highlighters where used maybe 2 times & the post it notes where'nt used at all!! Teachers need to use some seichel when making the supplies list. Ask for basics & if you want to use a specialty, the teacher should buy afew for the class to share.

Yups!!! I so agree. My dd needs thin expo markers but I bought 2 packs of thick ones in the summer so it’s of no help.
Another dd also needs 2 fine tip expo markers, 5x7 spiral rings on the side and another on the top( no clue what that is), a calendar, and another whole bunch of really specific items. And we still didn’t get all the lists yet. I would love to make an order online but they need it Monday already and they don’t have a lot of the items in Staples or Target.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 1:47 pm
We know in JUly.
Also if you don't find something or know it won't be used mamash? SKIP

watergirl

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 1:49 pm
octopus wrote:

I got all of my school supply lists at the end of July...

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 1:53 pm
Grateful to my school. They send out the lists over the summer - I've seen other families roaming Walmart, Staples, and Target with lists so it's not an entirely original idea. Those lists are mainstream items like notebooks, pencils, binders, folders, markers, etc. Then there is an "activities fee" or somesuch, and the school provides more specialized supplies within that category. Especially if they want things like thin Expo markers - the school can get them much cheaper in bulk, and it's probably more convenient to just have the whole class share a pack. The most specific my lists seem to get is something like "1-inch soft-cover looseleaf" or the like.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 2:23 pm
Ruchal, we can't just not buy some supplies, if the girls don't have all of their supplies they get punished for it.

octopus

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 2:27 pm
watergirl wrote:
I got all of my school supply lists at the end of July...

I find out the first day of school. I always buy the obvious stuff, but then you have teachers that want specific size loose-leafs, etc.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 2:33 pm
Mommy1:) wrote:
I actually talked to my child's school about this idea. They said there are some big issues with it.
2 - some parents will say they can find things cheaper and will only want to get specific items on the list through the school.
3 - parents may complain about the quality. If you buy cheaper there will be parents who complain that it's not a brand name item.
6 - the school has to have someone willing to deal with all of the above, search for the best price, order them, put the items together for each child etc...

I can understand these problems. Most have been non-issues for us because supplies tend to be pooled among the class and nothing has ever been returned at end of year (minus their binders, filled with their work, which they like to save).

teachkids

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 3:39 pm
Mommy1:) wrote:

In some schools the PTA does this as a fundraiser. It's optional, so if you don't want to do it, you don't have to, if you do, send in a check, and we'll drop a box with your child's supplies in their classroom. See if you can get that flying in your school.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 3:57 pm
When you hire a painter to paint your house you buy the paint and brushes that he recommends, move the furnishing according tohis specifications so that he can do tje best job possible. Teaching students for an entire year will require supplies. Various teaching styles will require different supplies. But honestly it's so that they can teach your child in the best way possible. When you are the one mopping the floor every day you make sure to get the most efficient mop. Because you aren't the one teaching your child you don't see how and why supplies are used and why the specific requests. But nobody is being malicious and trying to rob you from your time and money.

Teachers who ask for supplies that don't get used aren't either being malicious. They miscalculated, perhaps aren't so organised and hopefully will reevaluate the coming year.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 4:23 pm
amother wrote:
When you hire a painter to paint your house you buy the paint and brushes that he recommends, move the furnishing according tohis specifications so that he can do tje best job possible. Teaching students for an entire year will require supplies. Various teaching styles will require different supplies. But honestly it's so that they can teach your child in the best way possible. When you are the one mopping the floor every day you make sure to get the most efficient mop. Because you aren't the one teaching your child you don't see how and why supplies are used and why the specific requests. But nobody is being malicious and trying to rob you from your time and money.

Teachers who ask for supplies that don't get used aren't either being malicious. They miscalculated, perhaps aren't so organised and hopefully will reevaluate the coming year.

I agree that teachers have no malice in mind and I wouldn't be annoyed by something that was not used - IF it was a basic school supply item that can be found anywhere. Don't send me scurrying around to multiple stores trying to find that elusive item, or don't ask me to purchase something that's quite expensive, if the teacher hasn't taken the time to really prepare and plan for its use.

Personally, I think teachers should work out their school supplies list based on the basics and low-priced options. I don't see the need to come up with all these out of the box requests for general school work.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 4:30 pm
I'm with you 100% with regard to supplies that aren't used. I think it's disrespectful and disorganised and it really upsets me.
I was responding more to the general complaint that teachers are asking for so many specific items and it's not all about getting some pencils and an eraser.
In a world where teachers are expected to be creative, motivating, and in only the kindest way basicly coerce kids in 2018 to do do some actual learning it shouldn't be surprising that your kids supplies list looks different than yours when you were a child.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics