Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Meat in a crock pot?
1  2  Next

abound

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 2:52 am
Is it good to cook a tough meat in a crock pot/slow cooker? Does it help it become softer?

Any recipes if it is a good idea?

Thank you!

elaela

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 6:32 am
yes yes yes...it becomes VERY soft if left for a long time on low.

eg: any type of beef in sauce (7-9 hours on low), like bisket, shoulder, any cut...
liquid could be a diluted sweet/sour sauce, bbq sauce or just veggies - potatoes- water- wine-combo... add herbs/spices as u like...it never disapoints me

chicken cutlets or thighs : place on potatoes, cover in liquid let cook for 6 hours on low

lamb on sweetpotatoes.... same porcedure

it all comes out perfectly soft.

abound

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 6:48 am
thanks ! I want to make it for ROsh Hashana! I will try today!

tf

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 8:24 am
I officially do this on 2 days yt. I just have the raw meat and other ingredients ready. At night after lecht bentchen I put in all ingredients and have it ready for the morning. It saves me the heat of a flame and allows me to spend the morning with davening and caring for kids. I love the setup.

momX4

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 8:27 am
tf wrote:
I officially do this on 2 days yt. I just have the raw meat and other ingredients ready. At night after lecht bentchen I put in all ingredients and have it ready for the morning. It saves me the heat of a flame and allows me to spend the morning with davening and caring for kids. I love the setup.

Can I please have the recipe?

Also, how and when do you slice the meat?

tf

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 8:55 am
I don't have an official recipe. I place onions sliced on the bottom. Place any sliced meat over it. And then add some salt and about 1 cup water with tasty additions depending on what I have at home. Either a cup sweet red wine, lemon juice and sugar, fresh sliced orange and lemon. I never used the store bought sauces because I'm not familiar in how to use it and I don't want to risk a yt meal with a silly mistake, but I believe those can be used as well. Whatever I added always tasted yummy.

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 9:15 am
How to you keep the crock pot on for 2nd day YT? I'm just curious because I never tried using crock pot for YT.

tf

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 9:18 am
I turn it on before yt and let it stay that way until after yt. For the second day I repeat what I did the first with some variation.

momX4

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 9:21 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
How to you keep the crock pot on for 2nd day YT? I'm just curious because I never tried using crock pot for YT.

You can keep it on. Take out the insert. If you add cold food/water to a hot insert, it will crack.

I was hoping to get a roast recipe. I have one that I make on the stovetop on YT morning. It's good, but I am looking for another option.

rib eye roast
onions alot sauteed bottom of pot.
Place roast ontop
cook low for 3 hrs
add potatoes. small potatoes and carrots cook for one more hour

take out , slice roast and serve with vegetables and sauce on side.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 2:04 pm
tf wrote:

Is that allowed to prepare a meal for a different day YT? I thought you’re only allowed to cook on YT what you need for the next meal?

essie14

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 2:06 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Is that allowed to prepare a meal for a different day YT? I thought you’re only allowed to cook on YT what you need for the next meal?

Once you light candles, it's the next day of YT. This year, for example, RH starts Sunday night. When you light candles Monday night you are allowed to do whatever you need to do for Tuesday. It's the same day of chag.

tf

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 2:23 pm
Cheiny wrote:

Correct. Cooking at night is OK for morning. It's cooking for the same day.

elaela

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 2:51 pm
I actually do it now. (thrid round) let cool, cut, put in containers and freeze. easy peasy.

also gulash works the same way. add meat, onions and paprika powder etc.

let simmer 7 hours. voilá!

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 3:20 pm
How does everyone slice hot meat? I always refrigerate my meat overnight and slice the next day and rewarm the meat sliced. Otherwise it all falls apart. Or do you not care that you don't have regular slices ?
My sister once served a very soft roast in the middle of the table and everyone just dug in and literally scooped out meat for themselves , no knife needed. Is that what you do? Just curious how to get nice sliced meat when slicing hot?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 3:48 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
How does everyone slice hot meat? I always refrigerate my meat overnight and slice the next day and rewarm the meat sliced. Otherwise it all falls apart. Or do you not care that you don't have regular slices ?
My sister once served a very soft roast in the middle of the table and everyone just dug in and literally scooped out meat for themselves , no knife needed. Is that what you do? Just curious how to get nice sliced meat when slicing hot?

Make sure it's a roast that's a hunk of meat and not a rolled one with twine holding it together. Serve really thick slices like 1 or 2 slices being enough for a full main dish.
But only cook until tender and then serve. Do not overcook past that point.

agreer

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 5:43 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

Ummm, yummmmmmmmmmmm. Am I the only one that thinks that sounds amazing?!

simcha2

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 6:22 pm
tf wrote:

How many hours does it actually cook for? Can it get overcooked? Thanks

omega3

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 6:23 pm
I just learned from my rav that one is only allowed to cook on yt if the food will taste better than having it cooked it in advance.
I assume meat tastes the same fresh or not fresh so now I won’t be able to cook it overnight on yt Sad
I had no idea this was an issue, just putting it out there so others can ask their own shaila.

saralem

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 6:26 pm
Btw, if you add puréed pineapple (just put fresh pineapple in food processor) to a tougher cut of meat, and cook a long time it will be so tender. I make tzimmes like that, together with a lot of meat, carrots, onion, sweet potatoes. Simple seasonings and it comes out great. The pineapple is a natural meat tenderizer.

tf

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 6:35 pm
simcha2 wrote:
How many hours does it actually cook for? Can it get overcooked? Thanks

It cooks for long long hours-overnight and a bit more. I have it cook on low.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics