Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Things for a child in hospital to do

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 12:16 pm
This is not about a child in my family so I don't know all the details and cannot answer any medical questions but there is a 10/11 year old child in our community who is in hospital and is probably going to be there for quite a while.
I would like to buy him something to make the time pass. It can't be anything complicated, costly or valuable, or mentally taxing and it would be wonderful if it was something that he can use on Shabbos/Yom Tov.
I would appreciate any suggestions asap in order for me to still get it to the child before Yom Tov e.g. toys,specific books or any other original ideas you come up with.
Many thanks in advance and Kesivoh Vachasimoh Tovah to everyone.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 12:23 pm
Many children's hospitals have child life departments, who among other services and therapies, can bring toys and games to bedside.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 1:32 pm
When I was in the hospital at 10 books kept me going, but I was a bookworm before. Maybe check with someone who knows him/ family to see what he enjoys/ has patience for.

As for specific books, Cherry Bim or Junior Chaverim are light and and Kid Speak has shorter stories. There are several comic books that kids are into these days; any Judaica bookstore should be able to direct you. However, he may a be at a higher reading level.

Crafts could be great on weekdays, and there are many that are good for boys.

It's also important to have a few games to play with others, like chess, checkers, Rummicub, Othello, etc., depending on what the child likes. Regular playing cards, Set, and other compact card games are easier to keep in limited spaces.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 1:37 pm
Call a rav. They might suggest that a nurse keep a child friendly TV on low.
And that's besides for all the great games and books you buy.
It's very isolating. Maybe fhe child have a complete and speedy recovery.

bestme

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 2:38 pm
Mellisa and daug reusable stickers.
Smart games such as "jump in" and "little red ridding hood" and "squirres go nuts"
Think fun such as "rush hour" and "roller coaster"
Mind ware such as "brain box"

simcha2

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 2:44 pm
Lego aimed at older kids (technic or star wars). A perplexes. A book of card games with a deck of cards.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 2:47 pm
The game called Kanoodle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics