Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby cereal
1  2  Next

greeneyes

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 11:54 pm
At her last checkup, my daughter's pediatrician gave us some reading material with instructions on how to begin feeding solids. He recommended beginning with rice cereal, then oatmeal and barley, and then gradually introducing other foods.

Does anyone know if you must start with rice cereal? We accidentally bought a box of oatmeal and a box of barley instead of the rice kind... Are either of these ok? She's 5 months old...

Thanks.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 12:20 am
I think the reason rice is recommended as a first cereal is because allergies to rice are almost unheard of and it's easy to digest. We skipped rice and went straight to oatmeal, but my baby was older than yours when I started solids, so I'm not sure what to tell you.

nicole81

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 1:11 am
if there's no history of allergies in your family, I wouldn't even give it a second thought. I never even started with cereal at all.

greeneyes

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 10:35 am
Hmmm.... does anyone else have experience with this?

pinktichel

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 10:38 am
I started my dd on oatmeal at 6 mnths. She was just fine!

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 10:56 am
The reason for rice is bc there are fewer incidences of allergy. If you are fairly confident that allergies don't run in your family, go straight to the other cereal, but try one and a time (ie. for a few days to a week) and of course watch for any signs of intolerance or allergy (as with any food, including rice cereal)

mommalah

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 11:04 am
Must you start with rice cereal?

You don't "have to" give cereal right now. Is your daughter sitting up yet, is she cutting teeth? Has she even shown an interest in food yet? I don't understand why Dr.'s are in such a rush to start a child on solids before 6 months. The World health organization recommends delaying solids until at least six months (if breastfeeding for sure). I'm not sure what they say abt about formula fed babies but I do know they should be sitting up, starting to get teeth and should show interest. I don't know anything abt your daughter but I have always found it weird to see an infant slumped in a highchair sticking their tongues out to push food out that they are being given.

I started my kids with carrots, yams etc...and later moved to cereals after fruits. I personally don't understand how people give those "cereals". They look nothing like cereal, taste nothing like cereal, are simply dehydrated flakes. It is definitely not nutritious bc it is so far removed from being food. When it came time to give carbs, I gave my babies cooked steel cut oatmeal that I then made smaller in a food processor. Now that is real food, whole grain, unprocessed, full of fiber.
Sorry for the long rant. It just upsets me how quick people are to accept what Dr.'s say as "the word".

Good luck.

mommalah

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 11:06 am
Rice cereal, being white flour and all, may constipate ur baby.

shayna82

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 11:13 am
my doctor always said to start with it, and none of my babies took to it well, they just didnt like it. so I then gave them oatmeal in a jar and they loved it. thats what ill do next.

Love My Babes

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 11:23 am
mommalah, u are not required to start feeding ur kid solids, unless u want them to start. and most drs will tell u that ur baby should be sitting before they start solids, but my daughter just got her first tooth (at almost a year) and she has been eating everything... I started way before my doc said I should, and I was nursing and giving formula b/c I was working. the dr says once a kid is past 4-5 months they can start, but they dont have to. my baby was growing quite nicely and therefore he said I didnt need to give her the extra calories, while babies who are small may need those calories to grow and be healthy. it really depends on the situation.
im not the type who calls the dr everytime I have a Q. but in this case, greeneyes, if you would like to play it safe, call your dr. it will only take a minute and then u wont have to worry. but truthfully, everyone you ask will give you a different opinion.
another point mommalah, is that babies who start eating solids earlier (in my opinion) are more likely to eat a wider variety of foods, and be less picky. and I doubt that drs would tell mothers to give rice if constipation would be such an issue.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 11:52 am
LMB, I don't think the later eating == more variety to be true. Reason being is that children who start feeding themselves solids aren't started on bland foods with no taste, usually are breastfed from what I see so are used to different flavors, and have less allergy risk so they can start on many different foods.

BennysMommy

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 11:57 am
I didn't start feeding my son solids until he was about 71/2 months. He was solely breastfeeding and getting enough from me. He started with bananas.

momluv

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 11:59 am
I started with rice cereal at age 6 months. they say that when your child is crying often of hunger when being only bottlefed or nursed, its time to introduce solids. when I fed my son the oatmeal cereal he broke out in a rash. I only give him the rice cereal and barley which doesn't look as good. mix the rice cereal with applesauce. the kids love it!!

momluv

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 12:00 pm
bananas are too constipating. starting with rice is lighter on the digestive system I think.

BennysMommy

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 12:09 pm
I did what the doctor told me and I had no problems.

momluv

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 12:20 pm
that's good. it means his digestive system is strong b''h. my son was probably eating banana around the same age as your son did. I mixed it with applesauce to make it lighter. he loves it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 12:43 pm
yentagolda wrote:
bananas are too constipating. starting with rice is lighter on the digestive system I think.

Rice is also constipating (BRAT diet). I think starting at a later stage is easier on the digestive system, as well as breastfeeding plenty. Formula itself is constipating, and adding rice cereal to that can set it over the edge. It makes me cringe thinking of these babies. There really is no rush, and if you start solids later, you can skip the constipating grains and start with chicken, meat, fruit, and veggies.

mommalah

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 1:06 pm
Just something interesting to consider..An article I read recently discussed how hydrochloric acid (which breaks down protein) is not present in an infant's stomach until the end of the 7th month and that whatever gastric juice is needed to break down carbs isn't present until the end of the first year.

The rush to solids is unwarranted.

http://www.mothersnature.com/b......html

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 1:21 pm
What about the iron?

mommalah

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 1:25 pm
only1

please clarify ur question.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics