Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Did you ever buy shabbos food instead of cook
1  2  3  Next

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 8:35 am
So I hope this doesn't sound silly...
I have never bought take away for shabbos.
We are going through a really overwhelming time now and I was thinking of buying ready made food and taking it a bit easy.
I just feel really guilty, like I am being lazy and spoiled.
I am curious, for validation sake, to hear under what circumstances you would buy the shabbos food.
p.s.- I don't think it would cost that much more. We are a family of 4.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 8:39 am
I've done it more than once. Before Pesach, after or right before a new baby, or just at a time when I felt overwhelmed. Personally, I regretted it because take out Shabbos food just doesn't come close to home made food and I just didn't enjoy it. But the situation called for "intervention" so we resorted to takeout food.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 8:41 am
Enough with the "Jewish Mother Guilt"!

If you can afford it, you do not need an excuse, and you do not need to justify yourself to anyone.

Does anyone care if I waited until potato chips were on sale, or are they looking down on me because I paid full price? Why am I spending money on junk food anyway, when I could make my own potato chips in the oven?

See? It's ridiculous, and it's no one's business. If they are not paying for your food, then don't worry about it and enjoy.

simba

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 8:45 am
I've done it before and will do again.
No major circumstances other then life!
Go for it.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 8:45 am
If you like how the food tastes, go for it!

My family complains when I buy store made food so it’s really not worth it for us.

blessedjmom

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 8:47 am
I've done it. When I was just after hosting amd feeding lotsa guest. And tired.

And I've also bought food for shabbs after caring for hub kids laundry dinners all week. And just needed a well deserved mom break.

Feel you need it. Can u afford it. Do it. And enjoy! And throw the guilt out the window. Smile

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 8:49 am
Go for it!!! It's your way to serve Hashem at the moment. The guilt sounds like yetzer Hara so tell it to. Get Lost.

I'd say if you are already getting food be adventurous and get something you don't usually make. That way you won't be comparing to your regular food.

But OTOH if the food is not that great that's good too, help your family appreciate you more.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 8:53 am
I can count on one hand the number of times I've done it and all of those times it was the Shabbos before and the Shabbos after we had moved house. Postpartum and even on bed rest, people were bringing us food so it wasn't necessary. That said, nothing wrong with doing it whenever and however often you need it. Moving is not the only time I have felt overwhelmed, but of course, it also meant I didn't have pots and pans available so it made sense to buy take out.

What I don't like about take out is that it's either way too salty or way too sugar and it's hard to calculate how much you need (plus, it costs like ten bucks for this itty bitty container of food). Other times when I've been too overwhelmed to really make Shabbos, I've opted to make a pot of very hearty chicken soup for Friday night and a pot of very hearty chulent for lunch. It takes little effort and is a proper meal that feeds everyone. Granted, my family has been fine with it when that's what I've needed to do for a few weeks, I know some families would not, but if you can, it's a great option for when you have too much on your plate and you'd rather avoid takeout.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 9:04 am
Honestly? No. Not even when I had the flu. Not 9 months pregnant. Not even when I was immediately post D&C. So I get where you're coming from. But I don't think I'm 'normal' or 'admirable' and quite frankly I'm probably foolish and misguided. But still, no

kakky

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 9:05 am
I sometimes by part of the shabbot food to take off the pressure and lighten my load; kugels , dips, salads or desserts. by making one or 2 things myself I know everyone will have something they eat. if it weren't for my picky kids I would buy everything, especially the things I done make myself (like stuffed cabbage)

naomi2

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 9:10 am
Please go buy takeout and enjoy it! There is no extra credit for not taking shortcuts in life. Noone cares either way. You just get to relax and enjoy life more.

bobeli

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 9:12 am
Yes, when pregnant and got the flu Friday morning and had guest coming so my dear husband bought the whole shabbos.
Other take out to round up the meals all the time that I need it, if to crazy busy, tired, oven broke, etc. yes
Please buy it if you feel you need it

mommyhood

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 9:13 am
I have done it when I had to work late on Fridays and had a simcha or other obligation on Thursday night. We're not a big fan of takeout for Shabbos so I only buy when I really have zero time.
What I like better if I have some time but not a lot is to buy things like ready cleaned chicken, cut up vegetables etc. They save me a lot of prep time and then we end up with food we like without too much work.

rowo

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 9:29 am
For sure!
Enjoy the break.
I have a feeling many many people will be buying at least part of shabbos this week, after a month in the kitchen, I'm done!

The stores here that sell shabbos food are busy every week, so there are plenty of people out there buying pre made shabbos all the time.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 10:05 am
Have I ever!!! I'm in early pregnancy bh and I'm so exhausted my dh insisted we buy and the last few weeks have been amazing as it takes away a large responsibility..my kids have no idea why would they. There's food and I'm not a rag so win win. I don't tell anyone so I'm not embarrassed.
Bh there's such an option!
Btw my DH says the takeout stores are packed with men buying shabbos food..so there you have it...

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 10:26 am
Yes. When tired, sick, coming back from a trip, overwhelmed etc.
When my daughter in laws are postpartum or unwell (those who don’t live local) I order food to be delivered shabbos and for during the week.
I love cooking & really don’t enjoy take out much but sometimes it’s totally worth it.

moonstone

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 10:26 am
Sure I do! Every once in a while I get tired of my own cooking, or just don't feel like cooking. In fact, after all the cooking from the chagim, I'm planning to get take out on Friday. What's there to feel guilty about? Do you feel guilty for not raising your own chickens/cows, growing your own produce? Of course not. You're talking about buying prepared food, not cocaine. Go for it and enjoy!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 10:27 am
Go for it!

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 10:35 am
I've bought food plenty of times, what's the big deal????

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 10:39 am
I haven’t because I can’t bear to spend money on takeout when I know I can make it for so much less. IOW I’m too stingy. Did I not have this handicap, I would have no qualms about buying takeout for Shabbat. (My kids encourage me to do so and maybe some day I even will.) There is no Halacha that says thou shalt home-cook thy Sabbath meals, and the takeout guy’s stuff is consistently good, unlike mine which varies.

The same goes for challah and cake. If you have the time and energy and want to make it from scratch, good for you, but there’s absolutely no reason to feel guilty about paying someone else to do it for you. The baker and the takeout guy are providing much-appreciated services to the community and they need to make a living, too.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note