Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Did you ever buy shabbos food instead of cook
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 10:45 am
I don't know why they can't make good takeout Shabbos food. I agree with the poster that there is too much sugar and salt. There is also too much oil. The food is not healthy food. The exception is Gellman's kugel. That is one delicious kugel!

pause

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 10:54 am
The only thing I've ever done is once bought a potato kugel and a number of times bought bakery items like challah and cake. But the regular foods like fish, soup, chulent, etc.? Nopes. Even when I was in active labor, I cooked Shabbos food. When I'm post-partum or really not feeling well, DH cooks follows my instructions from the couch.

mha3484

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 10:57 am
A lot of the take out options in my area are not appealing or are very expensive so I have learned some good short cuts for weeks that I need to make things really easy. I get trader joes lox for the fish course, if I am feeling really fancy I get a bag of crositini and cut up an avocado. For soup, a box of imagine soup and add some more flavor to it and for a main I make chicken and rice in one pan. For shabbos lunch I serve a big salad that I can assemble shabbos day and cholent.

I have also learned to raid the freezer section for an easy week night dinner.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 11:00 am
Once when my shabbos food burned 🙄 DH felt so bad so he bought takeout from Yapchick and it was really surprisingly delicious.

I would never buy takeout cholent though because you know... and cholent is very easy to make. But kugel, chicken nuggets, maybe even soup I have no problem with.

I always buy ready checked soup veggies and a matzo ball mix so that’s half takeout with a homemade taste.

I’m not into store bought salads (grosses me out for some reason) but buying checked lettuce, cooked beets and cut up fruit can make your prep much easier.

Anyway, op please do what works for you. Who cares what others do?

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 11:10 am
I wish I lived somewhere with a Shabbos takeout option!

Actually I don't, I just wish there was Shabbos takeout where I live. I have a Shabbos in an hour menu for the weeks I feel like I can't do it like early pregnancy or postpartum. I'd do takeout in a heartbeat if I could. I say go for it and don't look back. There's no mitzva to run yourself ragged.

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 11:39 am
no takeout where I live but really cooking chicken is easier and tastes nicer then buying precooked. (I only like freshly cooked chicken).

If it is just our family and no guests I do often buy cold cuts and we have deli sandwiches for lunch. Purely because we like it. Cholent is not hard to make but my family prefers deli.

We literally have guests every friday night so I never make a simple shabbos but when we are away making shabbos is pretty easy. I know what my family likes and what they don't so its not hard to make a quick shabbos.

cm

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 12:05 pm
Store-bought kugel is amazing. I buy it all the time. I use various convenience foods if they are tasty, nutritious and economical. I cook and bake when and what I want. I would not use take-out that isn't very good, because that would be disappointing. I would rather just serve something else, whether homemade or not.

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 12:33 pm
Great idea! Now I'm tempted to do it myself. Wink

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 12:35 pm
cm wrote:
Store-bought kugel is amazing. I buy it all the time. I use various convenience foods if they are tasty, nutritious and economical. I cook and bake when and what I want. I would not use take-out that isn't very good, because that would be disappointing. I would rather just serve something else, whether homemade or not.

Which store bought kugel tastes good?
How much does a 9x13 “ pan cost?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 12:45 pm
Woah. The most active women are those more likely to buy a whole shabbes, every shabbes. Lazy and spoiled? Because you prioritize not crumbling? These dishes are there for that. In my world, there are queues outside those shops on Friday and sometimes Tuesday already. I'd say most women buy at least challot.

Quote:
Even when I was in active labor, I cooked Shabbos food.

That would be a dealbreaker for me to do this. I rarely cook pregnant.
My maternal grandmother cooked shabbes/yt - and only that lol. My husband's grandmother iirc cooked only bakeries/cakes. Nowadays people give a hard time (neither worked).

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 1:15 pm
amother wrote:
Which store bought kugel tastes good?
How much does a 9x13 “ pan cost?

Simcha catering makes really delicious Kugel. Available from Feldman's in Lakewood Smile. And obviously, there's a reason that I know this...

I don't know how much it costs. This is completely my dh's idea, he buys it and doesn't tell me the price, because he knows how I am about money....

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 1:52 pm
I never bought, but that’s only because no one here would eat it.

iyar

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 4:27 pm
amother wrote:
So I hope this doesn't sound silly...
I have never bought take away for shabbos.
We are going through a really overwhelming time now and I was thinking of buying ready made food and taking it a bit easy.
I just feel really guilty, like I am being lazy and spoiled.
I am curious, for validation sake, to hear under what circumstances you would buy the shabbos food.
p.s.- I don't think it would cost that much more. We are a family of 4.

OP you don't sound silly and I'll answer your questions.
Did I ever buy Shabbos? Yes.
Under what circumstances? When I felt I wouldn't be able to prepare for Shabbos on my own.

My family and I find that the food I prepare on my own tastes better and is healthier so I'd rather prepare very simple meals (and by very simple I mean VERY simple) and maybe buy a few things rather than buying everything.
But definitely you should do whatever works for you and your family.

? Lazy and spoiled ?
A frum Jewish woman, blessed with a family and feeding them simple (please see above) meals and keeping them in clean clothes and sanitary conditions (I realize that's a bit of a discussion on a different thread I didn't get through. So if you want to ask- to whose standards? - I'll say to my standards Wink ) is by definition NOT a lazy spoiled person.

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:01 pm
We don't buy takeout Shabbos food, but we do buy takeout every Thursday which is when we prepare for Shabbos. So we still rely on takeout to make Shabbos.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:05 pm
Once in a while, when I need a break. Take shortcuts when you need. Your mental health is worth more than a home-cooked meal!

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:07 pm
amother wrote:
If you like how the food tastes, go for it!

My family complains when I buy store made food so it’s really not worth it for us.

I don’t like take out, but have bought it for Shabbos before.
If we were away and arrived back on Friday, or spend Shabbos at a hotel.

If you feel silly, make one dish, fish or meat, and buy take out for the rest.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:13 pm
amother wrote:
We are going through a really overwhelming time now and I was thinking of buying ready made food and taking it a bit easy.
I am curious, for validation sake, to hear under what circumstances you would buy the shabbos food.

I do it most Shabboses. What’s the big deal?

EishesYo

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:40 pm
We have definitely bought parts of shabbos! Or ordered from a private lady in the area or shnorrered from family.... who offered so we accepted!!!

BH life has its ups and downs and take out is there for us!!! Personally I keep a stocked freezer so I shouldnt have to but everything bec murphys alw has it that the week I cant manage is the week I creave homenade what-nota and the week I slave away for shabos is the week I want takeout overnight kugel pr whatever

nylon

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:45 pm
I don't have good options now so I don't, but I'm not against it. At least to be able to buy good quality baked goods, even. Or fish, since not everyone in my house even likes it.

It just gets expensive to do it a lot. But if you have a good option by you, why not? or just buy some parts and make only those things you're very particular about.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 7:56 pm
amother wrote:

Who hasn’t?!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note