Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Grease Remover for Oven/Stovetop

sleepyhead

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 9:46 pm
What is a good grease remover for ovens and stove top/grates? I don't want to use Well Done or Easy Off, but I really need something that will work well, because I've had it with these stubborn, disgusting stains. Thank you!

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 9:53 pm
RA_mom gave advice once to seal the stove top grates in ziploc bags with ammonia and let it sit for a few hours.
I never ended up trying it .

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 10:17 pm
Oven
Mix baking soda with just enough water to make a paste in an oven-safe bowl; add vinegar. Use a sponge to dab the mixture on all dirt in the oven and along the bottom of the oven.
Place oven-safe bowl with the remaining mixture on an oven rack. Set your oven for 210 F degrees and let it run for 45 minutes.
Wipe up all the loose gunk, and your oven is clean.
https://youtu.be/wp0FT2tQ-8c
This works very well for regular basis to keep oven shiny clean. If it's very dirty it can take a few tries and a very strong elbow.

Grates
Place 1 grate in gallon size Ziploc. Add 1/4 cup ammonia (best to do this outside). Zip closed and leave overnight. The trapped fumes will loosen the gunk. Use a scotch brite to scrub off the grease while washing under water.
https://youtu.be/QEZXjBY4VwE

Stovetop
Follow instructions on Bar Keepers Friends Soft Cleanser - Shake bottle. Squeeze small amount onto damp sponge. Let sit 1 minute. Scrub dirt with the damp sponge. Rinse. Wipe.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Oct 08 2018, 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

mom!

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 10:29 pm
Soft scrub!! works amazing every time!

sleepyhead

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 10:47 pm
OP here. Thank you for all of your ideas! I will try these.

chestnut

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 11:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Grates
Place 1 grate in gallon size Ziploc. Add 1/4 cup ammonia (best to do this outside). Zip closed and leave overnight. The trapped fumes will loosen the gunk. Use a scotch brite to scrub off the grease while washing under water.
https://youtu.be/QEZXjBY4VwE

I have 2 grates, not 4, so they don't fit into a gallon size ziplock. Any advice?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:25 pm
chestnut wrote:
I have 2 grates, not 4, so they don't fit into a gallon size ziplock. Any advice?

There are larger size Ziploc bags available. Check out Amazon and Walmart. I've done it.

crunch

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 2:59 am
Nsr degreaser is a non toxic spray and works pretty well.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 6:30 am
Dawn dish soap. Leave a thin layer on overnight, and the grease should come right off in the morning.

For large grates, you can use a kitchen garbage bag. Fold over the top, and use a twist tie or similar to seal it up well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry