Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Looking for a "parent of difficult child" support group

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:38 pm
I'm looking for a support group (preferably online or by telephone) for parents of children who are exceptionally difficult due to mental health issues.

Living with and parenting DD can be a nightmare and due to the nature of her diagnosis (ie bipolar, oppositional defiant) and the stigma of mental health issues in the frum community, there are not many people I feel comfortable talking about it with and as a result, in addition to other challenges I deal with, I often feel isolated and alone. . .

If you have any ideas, please share them. Thanks

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:40 pm
Are you on Facebook? There is a secret group for this.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:43 pm
Following... that would be great for frum mothers

I have the most challenging ds in the entire world...

How could a Facebook group be completely anonymous?

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 1:49 pm
We know each others names but we are all in the same boat so no one shares what they read. I want to control what people know about my kid as much as you do so neither of us will yenta. Its really respectful and nice.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 2:24 pm
Mrs. Rivky Goldman at Toshia in Brooklyn runs support groups via telephone for parents of children with various challenges.

(718) 705-9980 ext 208

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
Mrs. Rivky Goldman at Toshia in Brooklyn runs support groups via telephone for parents of children with various challenges.

(718) 705-9980 ext 208

Does she charge for this? What is Toshia?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 3:04 pm
I have gotten a tremendous amount of support through Facebook. You can open a separate account with a fictitious name if that makes you feel more comfortable, but in general people keep things confidential since you are all struggling with the same issues.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 7:06 pm
I would also be interested but I don't like using Facebook anymore as my account was recently hacked into by someone who was pretending to be me and tried to get money out of my friends Sad .

Do you have to call into the 718 number at a certain time?

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 8:45 pm
Toshia is a mental-health services organization. They are under the umbrella of another organization--- not sure which. Last time I spoke to Mrs. Goldman, the support groups were free. She runs different groups for different populations, and (I believe) is always open to starting new groups based on interest. The support groups are scheduled for specific days/times and you call in to a conference call at that time.

That's really all I know--- call her directly for more info.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 8:47 pm
If your child has a pans/pandas diagnosis or similar, I know there's a frum whatsapp support group for that

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:03 pm
Dr ross Green‘s followers have a facebook support group called “The b team.”
Parents of very challenging kids using his approach. Lives in blance.
Very very challenging kids
It is also a closed group

cnc

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:04 pm
amother wrote:
Does she charge for this? What is Toshia?

Toshia is an organization.
There are multiple phone conferences run by licensed mental health professionals.
Each group is a specific day and time.

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:05 pm
The group dodger blue mentioned is an amazing resource but you need to use the method in the book or you won’t get much oir if it.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:09 pm
mha3484 wrote:
The group dodger blue mentioned is an amazing resource but you need to use the method in the book or you won’t get much oir if it.

Thanks for saying this. I really should have clarified that in the post! “Followers” is not explicit enough!!

amother
White

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 9:56 pm
should we open a Whatsapp support group for ourselves? you can all email me your phone numbers to be added.
I feel like this would be helpful for me as well.
DD is beyond out of control and we have done/do sooo much for her. therapy in school/at home. through insurance, through BOE. medications. psycotherapy, play therapy, behavioral therapy, social skills group, the list goes on.

so ex. yesterday she took her teachers phone during recess and called me. I thought there was an emergency, but it was just her testing her limits again.

or when she figured out that she can shake the candy machine and candy will come out, without putting in money.

or..or...or..
sigh. I'm really at my ends wit.

so anyone in?
then I'll post an email address

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:04 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Are you on Facebook? There is a secret group for this.

I would open a fake account if need be. How would I access the group once I’m on Facebook?

Thanks

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:34 pm
I can add you if you make a fake name PM me and we can work it out. You can friend me and I’ll add you and unfriend you.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 8:13 am
I'm on the FB group, and it's really helpful. I feel very safe there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)