Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Saw a baby in a carriage...
1  2  Next

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 4:56 pm
I was shopping yesterday and saw a baby in a carriage with a pacifier taped to his mouth. Like, a regular pacifier, but it was affixed to his cheeks on both sides with the kind of tape you use to tape on a bandage so that it could not come out of his mouth.

I was very shocked, never ever seen this. My aunt is Israeli, and said to his mother in broken English "I think he cannot breathe this way" and the mom reacted the way any mom would react to unsolicited advice from a stranger.

I realize he could breathe, as his nose was not obscured, but I found this absolutely horrifying anyway. It was not a medical issue, I saw her later holding the baby without the tape/pacifier.

Is this something that is done???

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:00 pm
If it’s “done”, it’s not done anywhere I’ve ever been (and I’m pretty well traveled).

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:01 pm
I never ever ever heard of that. It is sooooo off. That's nuts.

LittleMissMama

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:03 pm
That's very sad. Likely the mom has post partum depression or mental illness or something. It's obviously not a normal, logical thing to do.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:03 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
If it’s “done”, it’s not done anywhere I’ve ever been (and I’m pretty well traveled).

Nor have I. It seemed so wrong. Like almost abusive, but not exactly ..... I was just so taken aback.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:05 pm
Omg! I thought I've heard everything....
Honestly, I wouldn't let the mom get away with it.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:10 pm
OK, you know, I just googled it and apparently babies have died this way!!! I am kicking myself for not thinking to do this yesterday in the store when I saw it. None of my children used pacifiers, and I found myself thinking I don't know, maybe? I should have followed my gut and said something more even if it wouldn't have been appreciated.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:21 pm
Poor Baby!!!!! My goodness, I have no words. I seriously hope someone else that sees this intervenes. May I ask what country this took place in?

animeme

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:34 pm
Very not ok.

But I can see why someone would do it. Not for their own convenience, but if they have a baby who constantly wants to suck on a pacifier and yet is constantly spitting it out and then getting upset about it. I can see that leading to this bad decision without thinking it through.

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:42 pm
Of course it’s a hazard. Not only could the baby suffocate if his nose gets blocked but the paci could get shoved down his throat G-d forbid and gagging wouldn’t eject it because it’s taped to the face. And what if the kid spits up? Where’s the spit up gonna go? Shudder.

Mom thought she was being clever making sure baby doesn’t drop paci and scream the sky down. She didn’t think it through. She also didn’t think about how much pulling the tape off would hurt the baby. Or let’s be dlkz and think she intended to soak the tape off with oil.

It does sound abusive at first blush but it’s probably just stupid and lazy. Or maybe some stupider and lazier mom posted this trick on Instagram and this mom thought it was a great idea. Lots of folks don’t think critically and assume if it’s on Instagram it must be good.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:45 pm
I actually Googled this idea and parents were arrested for this.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:45 pm
amother wrote:
I was shopping yesterday and saw a baby in a carriage with a pacifier taped to his mouth. Like, a regular pacifier, but it was affixed to his cheeks on both sides with the kind of tape you use to tape on a bandage so that it could not come out of his mouth.

I was very shocked, never ever seen this. My aunt is Israeli, and said to his mother in broken English "I think he cannot breathe this way" and the mom reacted the way any mom would react to unsolicited advice from a stranger.

I realize he could breathe, as his nose was not obscured, but I found this absolutely horrifying anyway. It was not a medical issue, I saw her later holding the baby without the tape/pacifier.

Is this something that is done???

Wow, totally agree with you! I’ve never seen that!

flowerpower

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 6:01 pm
Thats insane!!! Hope the mom never does this dangerous thing again!!!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 7:21 pm
Crying It's sounds terribly abusive.

simba

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 7:24 pm
Dumb lady..

octopus

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 7:36 pm
Yes, it sounds abusive!

happymom123

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 7:38 pm
I don't think it sounds abusive. It sounds like she's not bright. Her baby probably can't keep the pacifier in but always wants it and this is the idea she came up with. Obviously she didn't think it through

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 7:48 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Poor Baby!!!!! My goodness, I have no words. I seriously hope someone else that sees this intervenes. May I ask what country this took place in?

America:(

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 8:42 pm
Surprised Surprised shock shock

Wow what happens if the baby has a stuffy nose Crying Crying

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 8:45 pm
I have twins so I can relate but this is crazy. It is not acceptable
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette