Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Bracha on doughnuts

girliesmommy

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 6:45 am
My brother took some of my challah dough, deep fried it, and covered it with the Manischewitz ready made choc. frosting. It tasted EXACTLY like Albany Bakery's donuts!

My question is.... what Bracha is it? Yes, I was planning on asking a Rav before I make them for Chanukah, but does anyone know?!?!

technic

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 6:51 am
"boreh mi(llio)neh calories-lot"!!! Tongue Out

Last edited by technic on Thu, Nov 22 2007, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 7:49 am
Fried dough as in doughnuts, malawach etc is mezonot

shalhevet

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 8:19 am
Ribbie Danzinger wrote:

It is a machlokes and not at all clear cut, so please don't pasken here. Some poskim say they're hamotzi.

To be sure, you need to eat the doughnuts as part of a meal.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 9:01 am
Shalhevet, some make a bracha on dessert, though.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 9:10 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Shalhevet, some make a bracha on dessert, though.

Right, but not if it's a safek hamotzi. Tongue Out

You're right. What you could do to be really sure, is to eat it during a meal and first make a mezonos on something else.

(And why go to so much trouble for all those empty calories in the first place? Wink )

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 11:32 am
generally speaking ... if you eat enough cake or donuts ... you actually must say hamotzi not mezonos ...

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 12:50 pm
Green, do you know how much? It's actually quite a lot !

shalhevet

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 1:59 pm
greenfire wrote:
generally speaking ... if you eat enough cake or donuts ... you actually must say hamotzi not mezonos ...

That's for sure. I was talking about if the basic brocho is hamotzi. The reason is that the dough itself is not particularly sweet, just the jam (jelly), which usually gets put in after you make the doughnut. In halacha deep frying is problematic whether it is counted as baking or cooking.

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 2:03 pm
isn't it a dif sort of dough for doughnuts ?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 2:13 pm
noodles, too, although I never got a clear answer from the rov as to how much lukshen kugel you'd have to eat, to wash and bentch on it.

Love My Babes

Post Fri, Nov 23 2007, 1:10 am
chocolate moose wrote:
noodles, too, although I never got a clear answer from the rov as to how much lukshen kugel you'd have to eat, to wash and bentch on it.
this is only a matter of minhag. some ppl hold that u only have to wash if its a bread product, and since noodles are not intended for bread/seuda, ppl do not wash on them.

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE ME. I know ppl will start yelling at me, and I do not know the source offhand. but this is a MINHAG.

and for all of u who are busy complaining about how donuts are empty calories...., come on enjoy life a little. anything fried is fattening, but that doesnt mean its not worth it. donuts are one of the worth it things in the calorie world.

grin

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 1:03 am
from what I know, there is only a safed of hamotzi if the dough was baked (or fried in a minimum of oil, just so it won’t stick to the pan), even if the dough isn't sweet at all. Noodles and doughnuts are both considered cooked; deep-frying is considered cooking since it’s in a large amt of oil.
But, as always, ask your LOR.

mimivan

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 1:23 am
shalhevet wrote:
Ribbie Danzinger wrote:

It is a machlokes and not at all clear cut, so please don't pasken here. Some poskim say they're hamotzi.

Pancakes would also be in this category, right?

Just to be sure, when I make things like this, I use juice instead of water so it is mezonot...(and then there is the issue of eating a lot of it

grin

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 1:32 am
mimivan wrote:

Just to be sure, when I make things like this, I use juice instead of water so it is mezonot...(and then there is the issue of eating a lot of it

Pancakes are fried generally in a minimum of oil so it's consdiered baked.
BTW, lokshen kugel is dif than plain noodles, since it's been baked also.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 1:39 am
mimivan wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Ribbie Danzinger wrote:

I don't know, but don't you make pancakes with a much thinner consistency? Then for sure it would be mezonos. Also frying in a little oil (pancakes) is different to deep frying (doughnuts).

Maybe we are also calling different things doughnuts. The sufganiyot in Israel are made with a dough which is very similar to the dough for sweet challa.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 2:47 am
From the translation of Seder Birchas Hanehenin - A Brochos Guide based on the Piskei Dinim of Admur Hazoken - compiled by Rabbi Y. Newman, reviewed by Rabbi Y.K. Marlow

doughnuts cooked in oil are mezonos. See seder birchas hanehenin - 2:12

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 3:49 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Ribbie Danzinger wrote:

Please offer a source for your statement. What I found is that doughnuts are not ever considered bread "meikar hadin" because they are deep fried (as opposed to other foods that are fried in a little oil) even if they are the main part of the seudah (although he writes that yirei shamayim should be careful not to eat doughnuts in the amount of keviyat seudah). [Vezot Haberachah, p28-29]

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 4:04 pm
shalhevet wrote:
greenfire wrote:

That's for sure. I was talking about if the basic brocho is hamotzi. The reason is that the dough itself is not particularly sweet, just the jam (jelly), which usually gets put in after you make the doughnut. In halacha deep frying is problematic whether it is counted as baking or cooking.

I think the question is whether deep frying is considered boiling (cooking) or frying, but it is not ever considered baking.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Dec 04 2007, 10:44 am
Yum! Send some over!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions