Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working full time - supper?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

pesek zman

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:01 am
We also done one dinner for everyone (adult djnner) and it's take it or leave it but I cook for the week either on Saturday night/Sunday. Or at night after baby is asleep. The only thing I do the night of is reheat (pop in oven or on blech)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:10 am
daniels mom wrote:
Please post recipe.

I pull back the skin (but leave it attached to the drumsticks) so that the chicken can be fully coated in seasoning.
Place drumsticks on bottom of crockpot. Season very very generously with salt, garlic powder and onion powder.
Turn drumsticks over and season other side very very generously.
Pull back skin over drumsticks so chicken is covered.
Sprinkle tops of drumsticks with paprika.
Cover crockpot and cook on low for 5.5 - 6 hours. Do not overcook or it won't be juicy (set a timer to turn it off).

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:11 am
little neshamala wrote:
Came on here just to say this.
INSTANT POT!!! the working mother's dream.

will look into it. What kind of suppers do you make with the instant pot?

rgr

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:18 am
ra_mom wrote:
I pull back the skin (but leave it attached to the drumsticks) so that the chicken can be fully coated in seasoning.
Place drumsticks on bottom of crockpot. Season very very generously with salt, garlic powder and onion powder.
Turn drumsticks over and season other side very very generously.
Pull back skin over drumsticks so chicken is covered.
Sprinkle tops of drumsticks with paprika.
Cover crockpot and cook on low for 5.5 - 6 hours. Do not overcook or it won't be juicy (set a timer to turn it off).

Sounds like you don't use a crockpot liner with these recipes. Don't you find it difficult to clean the crockpot?

Can I adapt it to use a liner? (Then add water on the outside of the bag or will that change the way it comes out?)

mha3484

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:18 am
I have one for Meat and Milk. I used my milchig one to make rice in 12 min for dinner last night. Tonight I am using the meat one to make chicken lo mein. I use it a lot for preparing for shabbos.

watergirl

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:20 am
mha3484 wrote:
I have one for Meat and Milk. I used my milchig one to make rice in 12 min for dinner last night. Tonight I am using the meat one to make chicken lo mein. I use it a lot for preparing for shabbos.

I also use it for ever shabbos prep (squash, and then I use the squash in a kugel and bake). I love this rice chart and find its the best one out there for times and ratios https://www.hippressurecooking.....rice/

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:35 am
rgr wrote:
Sounds like you don't use a crockpot liner with these recipes. Don't you find it difficult to clean the crockpot?

Can I adapt it to use a liner? (Then add water on the outside of the bag or will that change the way it comes out?)

I do for most recipes, this one included. Smile
Use a Reynolds liner so that you don't need to use water underneath the bag.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:51 am
watergirl wrote:
I also use it for ever shabbos prep (squash, and then I use the squash in a kugel and bake). I love this rice chart and find its the best one out there for times and ratios https://www.hippressurecooking.....rice/

I use mine for chicken soup and matzo balls. Corned beef. London broil. Ribs. Meatballs. Mashed potatoes. Chinese chicken dishes. Sticky drumsticks. Rice (pot in pot -- so I make the rice on top of whatever else I'm cooking.) Split pea soup. Lentil soup. Lentils and brown rice.

Just to name a few things.

lfab

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:53 am
I prepare as much as I can the night before si there shouldn't be more than a few minutes of prep while kids are around. I also have my 21 month old stand on a stool at the counter and "help" me. It takes longer than if I just did it myself, but it's the only way I get anything done in the kitchen.
My kids also come home ravenous so I usually offer them fruits and veggies. I figure if they ruin their appetites on that and end up eating less dinner there are worse things on the world.
As far as cooking 2 seperate meals for kids and adults, most foods can go either way. Meatballs are enjoyed by kids and adults. Chicken can be made breaded and served plain to picky children and with various dipping sauces for adults. Pizza can be plain for kids and served with veggie toppings and a salad for adults....

watergirl

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:57 am
SixOfWands wrote:
I use mine for chicken soup and matzo balls. Corned beef. London broil. Ribs. Meatballs. Mashed potatoes. Chinese chicken dishes. Sticky drumsticks. Rice (pot in pot -- so I make the rice on top of whatever else I'm cooking.) Split pea soup. Lentil soup. Lentils and brown rice.

Just to name a few things.

Try making gefilta fish in it. 20 mins and done.

mha3484

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:58 am
How does the gefilte come out? I usually like mine baked so its more on the dry side. Can you get the same texture in the Instant Pot?

watergirl

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 12:01 pm
mha3484 wrote:
How does the gefilte come out? I usually like mine baked so its more on the dry side. Can you get the same texture in the Instant Pot?

Perfect. Totally perfect. I let it npr for a bit so avoid the water spray. Its not dry though so if thats what you like, dont do it.

mha3484

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 12:02 pm
Thanks that is kind of what I thought. Once in a while I make salmon in it. Its the texture of poached if you like that and its super easy.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 12:09 pm
just thinking, if I would use the instant pot for fleishigs. Can I cook eggs/fish in it if I want to keep the food parve?

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 12:17 pm
watergirl wrote:
Perfect. Totally perfect. I let it npr for a bit so avoid the water spray. Its not dry though so if thats what you like, dont do it.

Do you put it on the trivet, or immerse it? I did it once and my husband hated it, but I'm willing to try again.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 12:18 pm
amother wrote:
just thinking, if I would use the instant pot for fleishigs. Can I cook eggs/fish in it if I want to keep the food parve?

It would be parve, meat equipment. So you wouldn't be able to eat it with a dairy meal.

watergirl

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 12:19 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Do you put it on the trivet, or immerse it? I did it once and my husband hated it, but I'm willing to try again.

No trivet, fill with water half way up the loaf. I can fit 2 in my 6qt pot. Season as you normally would but a tad less salt.

keym

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 12:24 pm
When I was in this situation (working until 4:30, walking in the door with a 1 yr old and 2 1/2 yr old), I would feed my kids leftovers from the night before. Then after they ate, while they were playing, I would make supper. Easy suppers- chicken and rice, meatballs and pasta, schnitzel, stuff like that. I would take off portions for my kids before we ate, and put it in microwave containers for them for the next day.
When I would walk in the door, I would literally pop those containers in the microwave, run to the bathroom, and serve supper.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 12:29 pm
watergirl wrote:
No trivet, fill with water half way up the loaf. I can fit 2 in my 6qt pot. Season as you normally would but a tad less salt.

Thanks.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 12:31 pm
I am so glad I opened this thread. such great ideas. I feel so normal. I cant believe e/o makes such easy dinners. I wish my kids wld eat just chicken and rice/meatballs in one pot.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics