Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What petty hill are you willing to die on?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Laiya

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:34 pm
Squishy wrote:
This isn't even worth a molehill, but yummy should be reserved for food. Your sweater is so yummy, or your baby is yum is just wrong.

yum·my
/ˈyəmē/Submit
adjectiveINFORMAL
(of food) delicious.
"yummy pumpkin cakes"
noun
delicious food.
"plates of homemade yummies"

My bed is delicious.

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:43 pm
Delicious is defined as 1. Highly pleasing to the taste; and 2. Delightful.
Your new sweater can be delicious, as can your baby or your sense of humor or anything else.
“Yummy”, though it means the same, is, like “tummy”, essentially baby talk and makes anyone using it sound childish. That’s fine if you’re under seven or talking to someone who is.

smileforamile

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 3:28 pm
Zehava wrote:
And when people use “sounds” instead of “seems” or “looks” it drives me up a wall.
“Sounds delicious”
“Sounds gorgeous”
Even worse when they use it in a Yiddish sentence.

Usually, people say "sounds delicious" or "sounds gorgeous" when someone is describing the taste or appearance of something. It would be appropriate in that context.

mommyla

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 4:22 pm
Ooh. "Air" and "care" and "fair" do not rhyme with "ear" or "fear" or "here" - please stop putting them in rhyming children's books!

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:12 pm
smileforamile wrote:
Usually, people say "sounds delicious" or "sounds gorgeous" when someone is describing the taste or appearance of something. It would be appropriate in that context.

People use 3 basic ways to describe things. Most of us are primarily one with part of a second. Rarely is anyone all three equally.

You could be a visual person - I see what you mean.

You could be a tactile person - I feel your pain.

You could be a hearing person. I hear you.

Zehava is certainly not a "hearing" person based on her reaction in this thread. If someone was trying to manipulate her, they wouldn't get far using hearing words.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:07 pm
Squishy wrote:
People use 3 basic ways to describe things. Most of us are primarily one with part of a second. Rarely is anyone all three equally.

You could be a visual person - I see what you mean.

You could be a tactile person - I feel your pain.

You could be a hearing person. I hear you.

Zehava is certainly not a "hearing" person based on her reaction in this thread. If someone was trying to manipulate her, they wouldn't get far using hearing words.

I remember reading about that when I was a teen. A few days later I went to my eye dr. and tried explaining something to him. He said "I see" to show he understood and I started laughing hysterically. He thought I was nuts.
Tangent over. Smile
To answer the op: NO, COFFEE IS NOT PSYCHOLOGICAL!! YES I do feel more awake when I drink it, and swapping it for a decaf did NOT prove your point, it only gave me a REAL headache!

iammom

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:19 pm
It drives me bonkers when people call chicken cutlets "schnitzel".
It's only schnitzel once you've egged, breaded and fried it (or, for the health freaks out there, baked it).

They say " I took schnitzel, seared it and baked in in a delicious mushroom sauce in a pan".

So, um, is it mushroom chicken or schnitzel?

Last edited by iammom on Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommy9

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:22 pm
Confectionery sugar
Zechusim
Shabbosim

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:22 pm
iammom wrote:
It's only schnitzel once you've egged, breaded and fried it (or, for the health freaks out there, baked it).

That's because chicken breasts with the bones are called cutlets because you can't say breast. And bras are called underwear.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:43 pm
Squishy wrote:
That's because chicken breasts with the bones are called cutlets because you can't say breast. And bras are called underwear.
Rolling Laughter

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:46 pm
chasidish fro wrote:
Someone told my daughter that she is meshuga cute

I've heard people say that the baby is "shmecky". And they are meaning to say "cute"..... to me shmecky would mean smelly... so I never understood that one.

penguin

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:47 pm
How about "custom" jewelry? Did you mean costume? Then please say so (includes pandants of course).

marvelous

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:53 pm
I love this thread.

1 -When people say: or an apple, or an orange

Even worse, if they "know better" they say: either here either there.
2 - I am going in grocery, putting my baby in crib. UGH!
even in yiddish, it sounds awful

3- I hate when people use stale, overused terms or words. Example: "somewhere in yehoopitzville" "let's not go there" (about a topic in convo), etc.

4 - I do not like when people tell me stuff and the exact response they expect is so clear...

5 - I do not like when people pretend to 'not recall' certain words or facts during a conversation because they are uncomfortable or uncertain with what they are saying, and wait for me to fill in.

6 - I do not like when people tr to communicate after washing for Hamotzi. "NU, nee, uhu, nah.... I pretend to be dumb.

heidi

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:52 am
You don't lay down with your child or lay down to go to sleep.
You lie.

chmom

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 3:10 am
I completely agree with the yummy thing
When people call their children yummy it puts me into a near murderous rage
Don’t you know how stupid you sound?

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 3:17 am
Using the word “genius” as an adjective.
Using nouns as verbs (although it is efficient

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 3:43 am
iammom wrote:

They say " I took schnitzel, seared it and baked in in a delicious mushroom sauce in a pan".

So, um, is it mushroom chicken or schnitzel?

Lol this happens a lot on imamother! Its chicken breast!

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 3:45 am
Squishy wrote:

When I was in high school I worked in a kosher meat restaurant. I’ll never forget the first time somebody referred to chicken tops and chicken bottoms. I had no idea what he was talking about! We cant say “thigh” or “leg”? Or white/dark?

dankbar

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 5:36 am
mommyla wrote:
Ooh. "Air" and "care" and "fair" do not rhyme with "ear" or "fear" or "here" - please stop putting them in rhyming children's books!

Depends on your dialect. In some places it does rhyme.

dankbar

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 5:37 am
watergirl wrote:
When I was in high school I worked in a kosher meat restaurant. I’ll never forget the first time somebody referred to chicken tops and chicken bottoms. I had no idea what he was talking about! We cant say “thigh” or “leg”? Or white/dark?

That's how entire communities know it as.
Page 6 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics