Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What petty hill are you willing to die on?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 11:23 pm
Emotional wrote:
It's not a bad word, but if somebody wants to be extra classy they might say "pass gas" etc...

Don’t even get Me started on how inelegant the word ‘classy’ is.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 11:30 pm
Squishy wrote:
Not saying "fart" isn't extra classy. Talking about passing gas isn't extra classy. There is nothing classy about talking about passing gas.

When you say "fart", you are perceived as a crude, crass, classless person. When you discuss passing gas except in a medical situations, you come across as best immature. If that's how you want to present to the majority of people to see you, continue using the word and discussing flatulence.

I don’t even understand what you just wrote. Oh, and guess what? I’d take bets on how many people out of 100 would actually perceive someone who uses the word fart as crass or classless(again, don’t get me started on ‘class.’ Most people would not even notice. I’ll die on that petty hill.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 11:32 pm
Emotional wrote:
Why do I feel as though you're wagging your finger at me? Can't I participate in a discussion like everyone else here? So maybe "classy" was the wrong word... sue me.
What the heck gives you the impression that I personally go around discussing bodily functions?
Someone else said her pet peeve was when people think fart is a bad word. So I offered another take on it...
Oh never mind. Another reminder that people leave imamother, or at least post anonymously, for a reason. This is unbelievable.

Actually, I think she was lecturing me. Ignore.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 11:35 pm
Oh yeah. People who lecture me as though theirs is the only opinion on the planet. It’s laughable but insanely annoying. Today a friend mentioned that if you’re involved with someone like that who must always have the last word, shifting up yourself will shut them up faster.

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 4:12 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I don’t even understand what you just wrote. Oh, and guess what? I’d take bets on how many people out of 100 would actually perceive someone who uses the word fart as crass or classless(again, don’t get me started on ‘class.’ Most people would not even notice. I’ll die on that petty hill.

According to the amother poll 66% of the amothers think the word is vulgar, so that would be 66 out of 100 people.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 4:29 pm
Squishy wrote:
According to the amother poll 66% of the amothers think the word is vulgar, so that would be 66 out of 100 people.

In the real world, dude. In the real world.

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 6:07 pm
andrea levy wrote:
In the real world, dude. In the real world.

In the real world, it is vulgar. It is vulgar when secular people say it. It is vulgar in every kind of setting. In a school yard even the kids know it is not a polite word. They get a kick out of saying it for that reason. George Carlin knows it is not a polite word. He even does a bit on it equating it with turd and twat - 3 more words not to say on television.

When do you ever need to discuss farts IRL?

Are you the type of cheesy person who asks who farted when they smell gas?

What possible reason

I think in my life, I heard the word fart only once uttered by a live person outside a school yard beyond this discussion. It was at a 50th anniversary party, and the daughter mention the word, and eveyone was shocked. DH and I were the only frum Jews there.

Dude, it is not used in offices. It is not used at the table. It is not used in restaurants. It is not used in polite company.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 6:15 pm
Squishy wrote:
In the real world, it is vulgar. It is vulgar when secular people say it. It is vulgar in every kind of setting. In a school yard even the kids know it is not a polite word. They get a kick out of saying it for that reason. George Carlin knows it is not a polite word. He even does a bit on it equating it with turd and twat - 3 more words not to say on television.

When do you ever need to discuss farts IRL?

Are you the type of cheesy person who asks who farted when they smell gas?

What possible reason

I think in my life, I heard the word fart only once uttered by a live person outside a school yard beyond this discussion. It was at a 50th anniversary party, and the daughter mention the word, and eveyone was shocked. DH and I were the only frum Jews there.

Dude, it is not used in offices. It is not used at the table. It is not used in restaurants. It is not used in polite company.

You are so much fun to play with!!!!

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 6:17 pm
andrea levy wrote:
You are so much fun to play with!!!!

You aren't playing. You don't see it is vulgar.

chmom

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:00 pm
Sheesh, calm down will ya?
Fart is really not that vulgar, probably on par with burp or poop.
So everybody step back from the topic and just walk away
PS: I can still get a good giggle out of farting, so sue me

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 8:06 pm
Squishy wrote:
You aren't playing. You don't see it is vulgar.

SO.MUCH.FUN!

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 8:21 pm
andrea levy wrote:
SO.MUCH.FUN!

I feel so sorry for you.

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 8:30 pm
chmom wrote:
Sheesh, calm down will ya?
Fart is really not that vulgar, probably on par with burp or poop.
So everybody step back from the topic and just walk away
PS: I can still get a good giggle out of farting, so sue me

It's interesting. Some people find the word breast offensive which I posted about earlier. I have friends who find the word "tushie" offensive. I don't agree with them, but I don't use the words around them because they find it vulgar.

Knowingly using the word fart when 2 out of 3 people find it vulgar simply isn't nice.

Would you mind saying your age? I can't imagine being a good giggle out of farting. Last time I went to the Met, there were frum girls probably around 20 that were getting good giggles out of nude works of art.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 8:53 pm
I will die on the petty hill of people who are so full of themselves and their world view that they don’t even realize how klassless ad hominem attacks are, and also people who don’t understand for the life of them, irony.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 9:03 pm
I’d like to point out that is isn’t my posts that most frequently mention the word ‘fart.’ If we counted up who uses it most often on this site, I think I know who it would be.

chmom

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 9:05 pm
Squishy wrote:
It's interesting. Some people find the word breast offensive which I posted about earlier. I have friends who find the word "tushie" offensive. I don't agree with them, but I don't use the words around them because they find it vulgar.

Knowingly using the word fart when 2 out of 3 people find it vulgar simply isn't nice.

Would you mind saying your age? I can't imagine being a good giggle out of farting. Last time I went to the Met, there were frum girls probably around 20 that were getting good giggles out of nude works of art.

Just because I don’t think it’s so vulgar doesn’t mean I‘ll be using it often. Not really a topic that comes up all the time. And I really don’t think that an Imamother poll is representative of the general public, so I‘m not convinced that 2/3 of all people find the word offensive.
My age? Almost fifty

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 9:16 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I will die on the petty hill of people who are so full of themselves and their world view that they don’t even realize how klassless ad hominem attacks are, and also people who don’t understand for the life of them, irony.

Feeling sorry for someone isn't an ad hominem attack. You don't understand what an ad hominem attack is, so I feel even more sorry for you using words you don't understand. And that isn't an argumentum ad hominem.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 9:27 pm
Squishy wrote:
Feeling sorry for someone isn't an ad hominem attack. You don't understand what an ad hominem attack is, so I feel even more sorry for you using words you don't understand. And that isn't an argumentum ad hominem.

Oh I’m so sorry, I certainly didn’t mean you! Don’t be too sensitive now!

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 9:50 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Oh I’m so sorry, I certainly didn’t mean you! Don’t be too sensitive now!

Of course you meant me. It followed and referenced the conversation you and I were having.

I know. Now you will say how you are playing with me, and it is so much fun rather than admit you used words wrong.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 10:03 pm
[quote="Squishy"]Of course you meant me. It followed and referenced the conversation you and I were having.

I am too stupid to understand your meaning. I get that. Oh well. Thanks for the FUN!
Page 9 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics