Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
If kosher meat is too expensive for reg use...

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 3:39 am
I live somewhere where kosher meat/chicken is too expensive for us to have meat regularly. How would you change up stir-fry type recipes so that you can still have the rest of it?

We still get our protein through lentils, yogurt, but I'm just wondering how you would change up meat recipes without cutting out the recipe entirely?

Rappel

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 4:25 am
Stir fried Portobello mushrooms taste very similar to meat.

If you live in Israel there's a thorny weed that grows wild around here. If you harvest the leaves and cut off their thorny edges, then they make a great tasting meat substitute in stir fries and soups.

Eggplant cubed and seared can have a very similar texture to meat, and if you pair it with the right spices then its hearty flavor gives you all the satisfaction of meat, even if it doesn't match the flavor precisely. It isn't very filling, however, so you'd need to serve it with something substantial or filling, like melted cheese.

ETA: there's no need to apologize for your meatlessness. Smile I remember from a vegetarian topic a while back that lots of people on this site skip meat for frugality's sake. We do. It allows us to stay under budget while DH is working + school and I'm a SAHM. Honestly, so long as we have a large variety of vegetables, I now like it better than meat. I feel stronger and happier as a vegetarian (and I'm no ideologue in this area - if anything, I'm pro-meat for everybody).

Last edited by Rappel on Fri, Oct 19 2018, 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total

imasinger

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 5:14 am
Tofu or cashews make great non meaty protein additions to stir fry.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 5:55 am
Economic vegetarians!
Leftover meat/chicken/fish could work. You’ll need more liquid in your stir fry though.

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 6:36 am
Zursun rice or sticky purple rice is great in tacos in place of meat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen